Thread: 14 days 3 trips and a little success

Default 14 days 3 trips and a little success

So me and a friend of mine decided to take some leave from the Army and hunt chicken ridge opener. I took 14 days leave and he took 10 days. We departed on the after noon of the 8th and had camp set up the 9th. What a crazy hunt this was. There were hunters everywhere and we did not connect. We left on the afternoon of the 11th and returned to Anchorage. As soon as we got back I headed to Petersville to hunt grizz. After being rained on for several days and not seeing anything I decided to come in. I gave my buddy a call and he said he wished we would have went to the Haul Road and I mention to him to extend his leave and we would do a quick trip. So he happy obliged and we departed on Tuesday the 18 at 11 am. The plan was for him to archery hunt for two days and then start the return trip early Friday morning. He had commitments that he had to be at over the weekend. Well after hunting all day on the 19th and seeing all the Caribou, I decided we were not going to leave empty handed this trip. I had the 375 still in the truck from my grizz hunt and told him I was going in 5 miles to bring one home. He was not too apt to let me go alone so he decided to come along. We departed at 8 am on the 20th and as soon as we got in we seen 6 nice bulls. I picked the one I thought was the nicest and put the stalk on. What a rush this was. I got to 142 yards and was worried that I was going to spook the small group of bulls. So I took the only shot I had which was a head shot without silhouetting myself. One shot and it was over. Little did I realize that I would have never spooked these bulls and they were very curious of us. They stayed within 200 yards of us while cutting him up. The haul back out was rough but I cant wait to do it again. We were back to the truck by 3pm. Next year 14 days on the Haul Road and 5 miles in again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Bou! ....congrats...you must have put alot of miles on the truck in such a short time.

Nice 'bou man!!!

Good job.Its nice to see the old 375cal doing yeomans work at a little range

Great persistence to keep after it! Glad your persistence was rewarded with a nice bou.

Thats some behind the wheel time. Glad you were sucessfull. Very Nice Bou'

Default long miles

All those miles you put on your truck sure paid off, that bou has some very nice shovels well worth the effort. So did you see any moose north of Coldfoot Ill be up there the 31st chasing moose with my bow and maybe bou before then if I see more reports like this.

You and your buddy humped 5 miles in (in rubber boots) and 5 miles out with bou on your back, in 7 hrs? ****.............glad your on our side!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default wonderful story

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Your efforts sure paid off and the two of you are to be congradulated on doing the 5 mile dredge!!!

The rubber boots actually worked out great. They were pretty comfy and kept the feet dry. We did see some moose north of coldfoot. We actually had two sighting midway between adigans pass and deadhorse. No sightings of bulls, just a cow and a cow and calf. Weird seeing them all the way up there on the tundra.

Talking Ok.......

Enough fun! Get back to work! LOL! Congrats on the nice bull!!

Thumbs up

Talk about putting in the miles! Love the shovels on your bou!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter1977 View Post
    We departed at 8 am on the 20th and as soon as we got in we seen 6 nice bulls.

So I took the only shot I had which was a head shot without silhouetting myself. One shot and it was over.

We were back to the truck by 3pm.
    This thread should be a Sticky. It depicts just how easy the Haul Road Hunt really is. Others have come on here telling horror stories, just trying to discourage others but, we now obviously know the real deal.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

For those of you that have not done the Haul Road 5 miles in. Please don't think this is an easy hunt. It really was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We were just fortunate to get in there and see some nice bulls right away. If I were by myself it would have taken me two days to get that bou out. I'm still feeling the effects of hiking on that tundra. The weather was perfect that day, but could have changed quickly and made things sour quick. If your not good with getting around with a compass, gps and terrain association. I wouldn't recommend doing this hunt. Thanks to a great friend we were able to bring one home and fill both of our freezers.

case in point...it wasnt to many years ago we sat on a bluff glassing and noticed 2 packs way the hell out there..the day before fog had set in.

Un beknownst to us those two packs were without the people carrying them..they were back in camp. We did notice one of those packs had a rack on it.

2 strange obviously exhausted guys came up to us and asked if we could see their packs...I was quite sure we did and obviously we had found their gear.

In the heat of things, they left EVERYTHING and wandered out with a gun and a water bottle. They ended up quite a ways north on the road from their packs and a great eating meat stash, along with basic survival gear they left EVERYTHING!

It's not the first time but maybe the most extreme I've personally come acrossed up there.

Easy hunt my rear end! And if you dont keep you're head screwed on straight it can turn deadly in seconds!