Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 ruger ammo hard to find?

Question 375 ruger ammo hard to find?

Is there a general shortage of hornady ammunition for the 375 ruger or is just nobody in Juneau will order any? I searched every store in town for 4 weeks and finally found the only two boxes in town that came in this week. And it wasnt even the ones I wanted but I grabbed them anyways. Can anybody up north throw some on Aml or Northland If I ordered some? I might be interested in buying a case of 10 boxes at pfd time. Bulk discount? I got about 200 rounds of brass guess I should just get some dies and start loading.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, plenty in AZ and NV stores, go figure...

Perhaps Juneau is a little shy on population. With any luck someone in ANC will help you out, good luck.

Time to buy the dies and start reloading
    Tennessee

What it is really time for is for Federal or some other ammunition company to start manufacturing loads in this caliber!

I really love my .375 Ruger Alaskan!!!!
    NRA Life Member

Cool doesnt make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble, plenty in AZ and NV stores, go figure...

Perhaps Juneau is a little shy on population. With any luck someone in ANC will help you out, good luck.
    What the heck they need guns that big for down there anyways?

They got thousand pound man eating antelope or something?
    Only kidding. We have about 35k residents but usully when your hunting round here the brownies outnumber the folks. Guys buy the bigger calibers around here. We have a fred meyer a walmart and two other sporting stores here that sell ammo. I know Rayco sales says they have sold a lot the 375 alaskans. So why not carry the ammo? Maybe im not seeing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    What the heck they need guns that big for down there anyways?

They got thousand pound man eating antelope or something?
    Only kidding. We have about 35k residents but usully when your hunting round here the brownies outnumber the folks. Guys buy the bigger calibers around here. We have a fred meyer a walmart and two other sporting stores here that sell ammo. I know Rayco sales says they have sold a lot the 375 alaskans. So why not carry the ammo? Maybe im not seeing something here.
    I hunt in Alaska with my brother and I'm a Ruger fan so that explains my purchase. My cousin in Las Vegas shot my rifle and loved it so that explains his purchase. The cousin is doing a moose float hunt at the end of the month up and my brother and I are flying about two hours west of Anchorage to our favorite little lake on our hunt.

We have a Bass Pro, Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse to keep the nearly 4 million Phoenix area residents stocked up, their having a hard time too.

Save your brass and get a friend to help you out. There's plenty of reload data on the 375 Ruger. I have great results with the 270gr Barnes in mine.

Lightbulb Capable

Im setup and handload for my other rifles. I just like how the 270 grain hornady is shooting out of it is all. But looks like I might forced into starting to handload for it wich I dont mind. Ive just been busy so far this season. But its early yet.
    I like Ruger too.
    New model blackhawk 44 mag 200th year of american liberty model
    Ruger 7MM REM MAG
    Ruger 300 WIN MAG
    375 RUGER ALASKAN

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I like Ruger too.
    New model blackhawk 44 mag 200th year of american liberty model
    Ruger 7MM REM MAG
    Ruger 300 WIN MAG
    375 RUGER ALASKAN
    You're a good man.

Hornady claims 2840 with the 270SP, my chrony showed a bit more. The 300RN was more acurate in my rifle, about an inch versus 2.5 inches.

I've loaded 260gr Accubond, 300gr Partition, Game King, Barnes TXS and 270gr TSX. The 270gr TSX is very good in my rifle as well as my cousins. Both rifles are grouping under an inch four shot groups with that bullet over 74gr of Rl-15 with CCI 250's and a COL of 3.313 and brass trimmed to 2.571, good luck with your loads and your hunt.

Default One of the reasons

I decided on buying a .375 H&H. Not to bag on anyone with the Ruger as I looked long and hard at it, but figure anywhere in the world, I will be able to buy a box of .375 H&H if needed.

I am sure you can get some great loads by handloading. Best of luck finding ammo and good hunting.

Talking Ok here goes

Sorry I couldnt help it!!!! Ill just blame my ammo problems on OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I decided on buying a .375 H&H. Not to bag on anyone with the Ruger as I looked long and hard at it, but figure anywhere in the world, I will be able to buy a box of .375 H&H if needed.
    True, the H&H will see it's 100th anniversary in 2012. There are several good rifle manufacturers that offer it in a variety of rifles too.

The Ruger 375 is just a new twist on an old idea. The Ruger offers better than H&H performance from a shorter rifle.

In time ammo will become readily available and others will build their rifles in 375 Ruger just like several are building 204 Ruger at this time. For now Hornady is enjoying a monopoly on the ammo, to bad they don't keep up with demand.

I have piles of 375 Ruger ammo but its harder to get ammo down by you

Thumbs up 235 barnes

My 375 Ruger Alaskan really like the Barnes 235gr X with IMR 4895.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    My 375 Ruger Alaskan really like the Barnes 235gr X with IMR 4895.

Do tell...

Photos, results, chrony , recipe?

I mirrored your 270 grain TSX load Marshall, though mine is loaded a little longer than yours. Its printing a 3/4" group consistently.

270 grain TSX
    74 grains of RL-15
    CCI 250
    COAL of 3.36 (.10 off the lands)

So far mine has shot all my handloads beyond satisfactorily, considering my reloading abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I mirrored your 270 grain TSX load Marshall, though mine is loaded a little longer than yours. Its printing a 3/4" group consistently.

270 grain TSX
    74 grains of RL-15
    CCI 250
    COAL of 3.36 (.10 off the lands)

So far mine has shot all my handloads beyond satisfactorily, considering my reloading abilities.
    Glad to hear it's shooting for you, the throat in my rifle must be deeper. The Barnes 270gr TSX doesn't touch the lands until 3.438 COL and the 300gr TSX gets there at 3.422

My magazine will only handle 3.414 COL so I loaded the Barnes at what worked best in my application. Several seating depths where fired in .025 increments until my rifle showed it's favorite load.

Marshall,

What are you getting for velocity with 74 grains of RL-15 and the 270 TSX? Today I chrono'd my loads and in my Alaskan (shorter barrel) I am getting 2730 fps.

Default .375 ruger

Hmmm. Well, after reading some of this maybe I "could" change my mind on the Ruger. I do REALLY like the shorter rifle as I will primarily use it in the brush, etc.

How is the recoil compared to a regular .375 H&H??? I handload, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Recoil is totally tolerable Mike. My Ruger is in a McMillan and it wears QD Talleys mounts with a VX-III 2.5-8x36, weighs right at 8 lbs all up, making it a short lightweight package that lacks nothing in the killing department! Mine has been very easy to load for, shooting everything (Nosler,Barnes, Hornady) very well.

Default Thanks Cub

I will look into it. There is one here in Tok that I could buy. I have boxes of .375 ammo though, so may end up selling it all if I go the other way. If not, I will buy a .375 H&H and have the barrel shortened, etc. Just not sure if I want to do all that. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast