Thread: Best Game Bag. What Do You Use?

Default Best Game Bag. What Do You Use?

Is canvas the only way to go or are there others that have worked for you?

I've done fine with the cheese cloth socks.
    Now what ?

I tried TAG bags for the first time this year on a sheep hunt and am very pleased with them. They are relatively expensive, but seem very durable and will last a while. I Like heavier bags if I am not on a backpack hunt.

TAG Bags all the way. They're well worth the price just for the weight and space savings.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products_gameBags.html

Arrow sams club has

4 big cotton game bags with a drawstring at top, for 19 bucks.

I've used many types, but for medium-sized game, I prefer cheap dept. store pillowcases. I cinch them with twine.

Tag bags from Larry Bartlett.
    Bought two sets and Three years later still going strong .No more cotton for me !!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

TAG bags here too, I've got 2 sets of moose bags and 1 caribou/sheep bags and won't use anything else.

Pillow cases here. I find them at Value Village or Salvation army. I use king sized ones. The trim sewed around the top can be slit to add a draw string. They are by far my favorites.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Pillow cases here. I find them at Value Village or Salvation army. I use king sized ones. The trim sewed around the top can be slit to add a draw string. They are by far my favorites.
    Hey Doug,

I hope you washed them pillow cases before you used them....hehehe

Used TAG bags for the first time this year. I have two of the smaller sets. First set was used on a backpack caribou hunt. The 2nd set was used 4 days later on my dad's goat hunt. They do seem tough and a pack of 5 bags (which would easily hold a couple 'bou quarters apiece if you so desired weighs about 18 oz. Also have a set of the "moose" size bags and hope to test those out next month.

I hope you washed them pillow cases before you used them....hehehe
    Oh yeah!! Twice in bleach and hot water.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Ultra Light Big Game Bags

Here is a new twist on game bags go to www.biggamebags.com they too are synthetic super light and strong but, are also Light reflective so they can be seen from a safe distance and they also have lock loops at the top of the bag so that a person can attach a tag called Big Game ID these loops also keep your meat quarters from being switched out with your buddies bullet riddled quarter, I saw a sample at Barney’s who by the way will be carrying the complete line of these great looking bags check them out. Call Bob “Barney’s”
    These Ultra Light Game Bags are what I’m using this year!

Default by the picture in the link

it looks like a immitation TAG bag. Might be better hard telling by pic.

Others on here in other past threads have noted that meat doesn't dry properly in the TAG bags. I have a set of moose bags. Having used them the last two seasons on bears I have noticed the same thing. Meat doesn't crust over in the bag. Might do better if meat is left out to crust first. Used a some tags and some cotton. The meat in the cotton crusted fine over night, meat in the TAG bags did not. Just beware. Not the best bag for a long float or fly out hunt. Good idea to have cotton bags at camp to change out into. Plus side is the weight. Fine to use for a day hunt or over night. I like them for the purpose, but wouldn't trust meat in them alone for more than a couple days!

I wash them in sport wash too. All my hunting is washed in that stuff, even cotton bags. If really bloody let sit in cold water with some sport wash.

Like AKDoug pillow cases from the Salvation Army or rumage sales

Default Heavy duty cotton bags from Sportsmans Warehouse

are what I use but they don't carry them anymore. I have about 15 heavy duty bags and they work well, are machine washable, and can be used if you ever are injured (heaven forbid). To save space, I vac-seal them before packing for the hunt so they are easy to pack and are protected from the elements.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Pillow cases work awesome on sheep and caribou.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Use old cotton sheets

and then have them sewn to the sizes I want, with smaller bags for ribs and neck meat and larger bags for hams and such. Can get old medical ones or whatever at value village and cut them to size. Work great and don't care if they have to be tossed as they are very inexpensive. Also, meat stays clean in them, flys stay off, and the meat always gets that nice crust on it. At the end of the hunt, just wash them in the washing machine with some bleach and ready to go next year.

-TJ

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    4 big cotton game bags with a drawstring at top, for 19 bucks.
    I picked up a couple sets earlier in the year and used them for spring black bear. Worked very well, washed up nicely, and ready for the next outing. A good, cheap solution.