Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle thumb

Default Throttle thumb

Without sounding like too much of a wimp, I'm still new to the ATV world. I went out and rode for about 30 miles the other day and my right hand is killing me. I've got a Yamaha Grizz 450. How do you guys that ride all day long manage to do it? I've got the thumb extention but opted not to use it yesterday-guess I'll install it but I'm a little unsure how much of a help it will be.

Practice...lots of practice.

Honestly just a matter of building up that muscle.

The thumb extender might be a bad idea. I noticed when i tried one that backing up and turning sharp can push the throttle against your leg/knee. Could be a bad thing in the wrong area.

Remember a thread about someone and a wheeler going into the big su due to the throttle extender.

Many new people to ATVing have that problem and it goes away after you develope some more strength in your thumb/hand. I did use an assist for a short while but soon took it off. The throttle extension can get you in trouble as I found out. When going down a steep hill your hand can bump against it which gives you a burst of throttle when you really dont want it !

Default Thumb Thing

I don't use one, but I know people who do.

http://www.helmetoutletusa.com/index...R.U.%20Outside

You mean you haven't seen the informercials for the thumb-strengthening attachment for a Bowflex--the ones with the spandex-gloved hand with the rippling thumb muscles?

Seriously, probably you are riding with your upper body too tense, which is a common beginner mistake. About once a minute while riding, try wriggling your fingers (which forces you to release the gorilla grip your hands may have defaulted back to).

With a little more practice and confidence, you'll probably find that the sore thumb issue goes away.

Smile consider shorter rides...

Consider taking shorter rides until those muscles build up. I experienced a something similar with got into bowhunting. I tried just taking a few shots per day, but doing that day in and day out. After while, you can shoot as much as you want.

Some folks are just predisposed to problems. If you have had a broken or injured wrist in the past there may be no hope. I've had thumb issues since I broke my wrist when I was sixteen. Several 3000+ snowmobile years and my thumb never quit hurting and getting numb. It certainly had nothing to do with getting in shape. My thumb now at 40 is in such bad shape that I really no longer enjoy sledding or riding my ATV for fun. I use them for hunting and getting from point A to point B and that's it. On my sled I have had to resort to getting a left hand throttle to rest my right thumb on long rides. If I could figure out how to do it on my ATV I would.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The solution is so obvious.

Sell the Grizz and get a Rhino. The soon to be released 2010 models will likely have power steering. You'll be able to hold your coffee cup in one hand while steering with the other.

I know..that was no help...just thinking outside the box.

I use the throttle extension, personally. It makes the difference between only being able to ride a couple hours comfortably and riding all day. The throttle extension can be bent to be whereever you want and you can even palm it instead of using your thumb. And I've never run into any real problems with it. I have bumped it on occasion on accident, but I've done that with no extension there also. It's only about $15 and if you don't like it later it's just three screws to take it off. But I've been running mine for two years and wouldn't take it off. The only downside I've found is that you can't put a thumb heater on it, if you run hot grips. But that hasn't been a real problem.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thumbs up Thumb Thing

Definite vote for the RU Outside "Thumb Thing". It is an awesome piece of gear. I usually wear one on both wrists for snowmachining as they not only provide compression and support, but they also keep the glove-gap nice and warm. As long as you wear it for the entire trip, it will prevent any thumb-aches.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I rotated my thumb throttle around and work it with my index finger on my Honda rancher. I use a thumb throttle on my snow machine but it felt awkward on the 4 wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    I rotated my thumb throttle around and work it with my index finger on my Honda rancher. I use a thumb throttle on my snow machine but it felt awkward on the 4 wheeler.
    That's something I was never brave enough to do. It's automatic to tighten your fingers when things start to go wrong. Or at least, it's automatic for me. I tried once to rotate my snowmachine throttle to use my fingers and that was all it took. I'll be getting a "Throttle Gizmo" for my sled this year.

http://www.clydecanride.com/
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    The only downside I've found is that you can't put a thumb heater on it, if you run hot grips. But that hasn't been a real problem.
    EagleRiverDee, I use a thumb extender (due to multiple hand/wrist injuries and subsequent surgeries) and I let it rest along the palm of my hand when my thumb starts hurting. I run heated grips and a heated thumb pad on the extension. Works like a champ! Give it another try on your quad. Here is how I have mine done...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    EagleRiverDee, I use a thumb extender (due to multiple hand/wrist injuries and subsequent surgeries) and I let it rest along the palm of my hand when my thumb starts hurting. I run heated grips and a heated thumb pad on the extension. Works like a champ! Give it another try on your quad. Here is how I have mine done...
    AKMuddy-

Thanks, I'll look into it. I had always heard you couldn't use a heated thumb with an extender, but apparently you can, since you did! And we use the same type of throttle extension, so it ought to work.

I do love my throttle extension. My thumb used to get so sore, and now I can change the position of my throttle extender whenever which allows me to grip it different ways, and when my thumb is all wore out I just use my palm. I have the "deluxe" edition throttle extender which is about an extra inch longer than the standard.

You have EXCELLENT taste in ATV's by the way. (I say this because you and I ride identical models and the same limited edition "brushed aluminum" series).

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    AKMuddy-

Thanks, I'll look into it. I had always heard you couldn't use a heated thumb with an extender, but apparently you can, since you did! And we use the same type of throttle extension, so it ought to work.

I do love my throttle extension. My thumb used to get so sore, and now I can change the position of my throttle extender whenever which allows me to grip it different ways, and when my thumb is all wore out I just use my palm. I have the "deluxe" edition throttle extender which is about an extra inch longer than the standard.

You have EXCELLENT taste in ATV's by the way. (I say this because you and I ride identical models and the same limited edition "brushed aluminum" series).
    Thanks...love my silver grizzly!!! Check out the covers I had made for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

AKMuddy-

Very cool covers.

What I and a couple people I ride with have done is simply loosen the bolts which hold your throttle/brake on and rotate your throttle forward (toward you) a little bit, this makes it so you are not extending your thumb as far and relieves the pain, or if you have big hands and long thumbs you may need to move it away from you. Try it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Thanks...love my silver grizzly!!! Check out the covers I had made for it...
    LMAO...I love it! Got to get me the beer one.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiergrizzly View Post
    Without sounding like too much of a wimp, I'm still new to the ATV world. I went out and rode for about 30 miles the other day and my right hand is killing me. I've got a Yamaha Grizz 450. How do you guys that ride all day long manage to do it? I've got the thumb extention but opted not to use it yesterday-guess I'll install it but I'm a little unsure how much of a help it will be.
    Man up you wimp!!

Just kidding Matt. Try that throttle extender, it works great and being able to adjust it makes it so much better. I'm on my second one, Isomehow broke my last one and stole my wifes extender since she didn't like it. I've got mine bent enough where I can use my palm but be careful when standing and leaning forward with your machine at idle, you will hit it with your leg and might get thrown off. Don't ask me how I know.....

Default Be careful

that whatever solution you come up with, there is no way it can hit the side of the tank or a tank bag when the bars are cranked all the way over.
    Mike
    (also pleading the 5th)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast