Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep and Griz

Default Sheep and Griz

I got back from my sheep hunt about a week ago. Like Blackfoot said in a different post, I was in an area known for rams dying of old age at 7/8, so unfortunately I prepared myself to count rings in order to make my sheep legal by age and not full curl. It started off my me driving from Delta to Fairbanks to catch my flight and it was so smokey I ended up driving to ANC so I wouldn't miss my flight as many had already been canceled. Flying into our area we saw many sheep. We landed and set up camp and had sheep within 200 yards in a couple of hours. The next day (Sun 8/9) the day before sheep opened we saw a griz while scouting for sheep. I made stalk on him and while I was making my way down the creek, he was making his way up the creek and I was surprised to see him at 40 yards. I dropped him in his tracks and he never knew we were there. I wish I had my bow with me. He squared 7'9" and had a 23" skull. We saw over 200 sheep over the week, but most of the sheep were 3/4 or less. I shot this 9 year old sheep 6 miles from our camp on Friday(8/14). His horns are 32"X12 1/2". He's 7/8, but looks less than that in the pic because of the angle. It was a really brutal hunt with tons of walking, as most sheep hunts are I guess, but this was my first one. The weather was incredibly nice with sunny warm days. It only rained the last night after we had packed my sheep back into camp. Incredible hunt and my most rewarding hunt ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pix

Here's a couple more pix. I have to say, my Barney's Hunter pack and trekking poles were a must. Croc's were really nice to have in camp as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job Goaty. Looks like the bear dropped in a brushy spot with a couple of clear areas - which way was it coming in the pic, and which was were you coming?

About how heavy was your pack going in, and going out? How far did you have to hump out the sheep and bear hide/skull?

What rifle/load did you use to shoot them?

I was coming from the direction the bears head if facing, and him from the opposite. When I saw him he was perfectly broadside. It was a little brushy, but not too bad. I shot him with a .300 RUM with a VLD 190. We were just scouting that day, so our packs were light. It was probably about 80 lbs. coming out and we had about 1 mile to get to camp. 1/4 of that was up a steep hill, but after that it wasn't bad. The sheep I humped 6 miles, and then when it was all over, we had to hike everything about a 1/4 mile to where the plane picked us up. I forgot to mention that we also saw a huge black wolf take down a caribou calf. We were on the way to take care of the problem but he winded us and took off. I sure wish we could have taken him too.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I got back from my sheep hunt about a week ago. Like Blackfoot said in a different post, I was in an area known for rams dying of old age at 7/8, so unfortunately I prepared myself to count rings in order to make my sheep legal by age and not full curl.
    Nice bear.

How did you "prepare" for counting rings? Seems as though this is a hot topic on the forum right now, and many want to learn the process. Did your guesstimate before the shot ring true with how Fish and Game aged it during the sealing process? In other words, were you successful in determining the exact age of the ram, before you shot? Was there confusion or outright dispairity among others during the sealing process? Which Fish and Game Office sealed the horns? This ram could well be one that others could use for field judging legal rams that are not full curl, with a little more detailed information for them use. Granted I have only looked at the two pics, but it would have impossible for me to age that sheep with such confidence as you had.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Nice!

Looks like you had a great sheep hunt and a bear to boot!yeah my motto is to always take a predator, if I take a sheep, for their sake, But in the area I was in Griz was closed and no wolves got on to my sheep carcass...I will get a wolf someday ( one animal I don't have) However I still have a griz tag to use........Congrats on your hunt, another sheep hunt in the books!

Default Prep

I prepped myself by counting everthing in sight...at sportmans, frinds mounts, pics. Nothing concrete but that's all I could think of, and I did lots of it. I scoped this ram from 200-250 yds for 2 1/2 hours before pulling the trigger. I figured him at solid 8 or 9 when I shot, and thought he might be 9 or 10 when I had him on the ground. I got him sealed in Delta. The Bio aged him at 9 and said he might be 10 as he had rubbed, but not broomed his tips. As for using it as an example? I think it all comes down to how the bio counting decides to count it. Believe me, shooting a less than full curl sheep scared the crap out of me, but after talking to the Bio and hunting and scouting for 6 days, it was clear that he seemed to be right and they just don't grow many full curls in that area. I've read the other posts and almost didn't post this because I knew I'd be grilled. But I am an ethical hunter, put in my time, and didn't pull the trigger until I was confidant that I was shooting a legal ram.

Default Horns

Those horns look like they drop real deep your right he probably would've never made full curl, but if he did, he'd be a monster ram!!! what really puzzles me, is that he has a small body, almost like a Ewe. usually them older rams have big blocky bodies, must be the genetics in the area.

What an awesome hunt! Congrats...hopefully the cards will fall like that for me...Congrats again...

AZinAK

Thumbs up

Looks like you had a great hunt with a fine sheep and a grizz as well! Good job on taking out another predator and helping those sheep out. I can imagine the thoughts running through your mind while trying to count the annuli on your sheep and I am happy with your outcome.

I might note that counting rings in a sheep is difficult but it can be done...sometimes. The rings are often more pronounced and hence easier to count in a sheep with lighter colored horns. I was unsuccessful this year on my sheep hunt and was hunting in an area known for sheep with small horns. I did pick up an old set of winter kill horns that I figured were 3/4 curl at best and was quite surprised when aging the sheep back at spike camp to find it was an unequivocal 8 1/2 years old! As a side note it is always advisable if possible to find out what the usual average horn size is for the area you are hunting, realizing of course that there are always exceptions. There are sometimes other indications of a sheep's' age/maturity such as size compared to average of area, general body habitus, horn base size, and more of a elongated face with a "Roman nose" or fat pad on the bridge of the nose. Of course these are all soft signs and I would never hang my hat on any single one, but these can be of value when coupled with other observations. Congratulations on your success.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    " ...and they just don't grow many full curls in that area..."
    Glad your sheep made it.
    As to growing to full curl in that area - how can they?
    May well be time to have a discussion on eliminating eight years of age as being a "qualifier".
    Best of luck
    Joe (Ak)

Congrats,sounds like everything was up to snuff and laws followed so you shouldn't catch much flack.

Default wantj43

If you would read his post, you would see that sheep die of old age without getting to full curl in that area. What makes you think that doing away with the 8 year requirement would change their genetics?

What a great hunt! Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Glad your sheep made it.
    As to growing to full curl in that area - how can they?
    May well be time to have a discussion on eliminating eight years of age as being a "qualifier".
    Best of luck
    Joe (Ak)
    I have come to the conclusion that wantj43 doesn't want anyone to take a sheep, seems like every sheep post he has something negative to say. If the guy had the horns inspected and sealed by f & g, then why not just congratulate the guy?

Great hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that wantj43 doesn't want anyone to take a sheep, seems like every sheep post he has something negative to say. If the guy had the horns inspected and sealed by f & g, then why not just congratulate the guy?
    Exactly, the ram was legal and was confirmed so by F&G, either congratulate him or don't post.

Default Great!

Nice job! Sounds like another great hunt! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Joe (Ak)
    I'm guessing that this would be done at the sole benefit to the guides, no?

BTW, goaty, nice combo hunt! Must be awesome taking a bear and sheep during the same hunt, and a lot of work.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast