Thread: Pants for peninsula bb hunt...

Default Pants for peninsula bb hunt...

I've read through as many threads as I can find relating to the pants subject, and still can't decide on which type of pants you guys recommend. I know it's a personal decision but I'm trying to decide if they should be insulated for long hours of glassing, softshell, lite weight, waterproof, etc.

I will be packing a set of gore-tex rain gear. I know there is ongoing discussion about HH being the best, but I already own the gore-tex and not buying new.

If you were packing for Oct 1-10 hunt on the peninsula what would you pack?

Sitka 90%
    Sitka Ascent
    Helly Hansen Odin Guide Pant
    Columbia fishing pants
    others?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Default pants

riverswest pants are nice
    the only downside is the weight of them but they keep u dry

Quote Originally Posted by juneauduckhunter View Post
    riverswest pants are nice
    the only downside is the weight of them but they keep u dry
    Must be a lot drier in Juneau, Riverswest sent me two replacements and I got wet in all of them. I wouldn't trust them in the in rain again.

I wouldn't dream of going to the penninsula without a set of Impertechs with me. Depending on where you get them you will spend around $100 or a touch more. Cheap insurance IMHO... Do you own all the goretex clothes you listed? If so, you would probably know better than us what is best.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I own the Gore-Tex raingear but haven't purchased any of the pants listed yet, can't decide which would be best.

Mammut's Champ Pants with or without a base layer of very thin capilene depending on the temperature, and GoreTex PacLite over-pants for sitting in the rain (OR Foray pants are my choice). The only possible exception I'd consider would be to substitute Sporthills for the Champs. Note: For me, the Sporthills are warmer but Champs are more comfortable. When hiking I don't need or want insulated pants. While parked I put on my rain pants to stay warm. Personal preference.

The peninsula, Unimak, the Alaska Range, Afognak....that's what I'll be wearing.

Thumbs up

The Impertechs are on sale right now through Helly Hansen. I have not used them myself but have never heard anything negative about them. I would have bought some by now but the Army keeps issuing me wet weather gear so I use it and spend the money on other items.

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/s-15-on-sale.aspx

And to the original poster....no matter what you choose, take some good GoreTex gaiters.

Default Pants

I plan on being on Kodiak during that same time frame. I am brining both some precip rain gear as well as impertech. As far as pants go I'm bringing some columbia fishing pants, a pair of mammut champs, as well as some cabelas windproof fleece pants. Yes a lot of extra gear, but we are hiking up from the salt and just like the peace of mind of having extra warm/dry clothing waiting for me at base camp in case I get soaked for some reason.

I have yet to have a set of non-rubberized rain pants continue to stay waterproof after pushing through wet grass and brush. Breathable chest waders are becoming more popular in that neck of the woods and I'd love to see how they work out for bear hunting.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile worked for me

hunted an hour plane ride north of dillingham during monsoon season--usedchest high waders and they were perfect

One lighter and one heavier pant in addition to whatever rain gear. For light I would reccomend Westcombs or Sitka Acsent. For heavy Sporthill 3sp (1st choice) or Mammut Champ.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have yet to have a set of non-rubberized rain pants continue to stay waterproof after pushing through wet grass and brush. Breathable chest waders are becoming more popular in that neck of the woods and I'd love to see how they work out for bear hunting.
    Does/would waterproof gaiters help with the grass issue?