Thread: WHAT'S BETTER, WOOL or CABELA'S BERBER FLEECE?

Default WHAT'S BETTER, WOOL or CABELA'S BERBER FLEECE?

I bought cabela's berber fleece for the warmth and softness. This fabric is so quiet. Its not heavy and dryies fast. IT is not waterproof.
    Wool is quiet, quality will dictake softness, wool is not waterproof.
    But wool is heavy when wet. It will keep you warm to but that weight.
    If I am that wet I am going to find a way to get dry and moving far to do so.
    I would like to hear more pro's and con's about these to fabrics.

If you are hunting out of a basecamp, boat, truck, etc where you don't have to carry your wool in a pack it may work ok....but boy would I look at something else if you are doing any packing!

I have never owned berber fleece, I do own plenty of wool and polar fleece clothing.

I love wool for it's warmth,even if wet, wind resistance and being silent. I also find it very comfortable to wear. It is heavy dry or wet, compared to other cold weather fabrics.

Fleece also is warm wet or dry though not quite as warm when wet, to me. It dries quickly, is comfortable and light weight. It is very bulky and lacks wind resistance unless it is a windstopper garment, but if that is the case it becomes a heavy item and has no advantage over wool IMO and may add considerable time to drying out.

My preference is wool and thin layers of synthetic undergarments. I think for weight, bulk (or lack of), and comfort it can't be beat as a system.

For those that cannot tolerate wool against the skin (my wife for example), fleece is the way to go, my wife loves fleece.

338.......I completely agree with you....LIGHT WEIGHT SILK UNDERWEAR+WOOL=PERFECT COMBO.
    With that said......
    Alot of folks like how they can almost "shake dry" the fleece garments. I've used both ALOT and fleece starts to smell bad quite a bit quicker.....but drys quicker than wool. Personally I have a deep rooted preference for wool too. It's TOUGH, wool is so strong that it just seems to last forever. That's why I like wool. It also breathes very well too on a strenous hike up a mountain. Some wool huntin clothes and silk weight underwear have been a perfect combo for me when on the move. when it's raining.....out comes the HH raingear. When im boating close to sunset when it's bone chilling cold......out comes the fleece insulating layer under the wool huntin clothes. Ever tryed sliding down some slope gravel with wool on? It just doesnt seem to fail. Wool aint so heavy that it's going to bog you down from carrying. I wore it for miles hiking a chainsaw, gas, wearing hip waders, and two guns.....to my remote property. If the mere weight of wool bogged you down enough to turn ur nose up to it's many great attributes and shinning history.......than you need to get up off the couch and stop watching hunting shows and hit up the gym and the trails. There's wool.....been around for hundreds if not thousands of yrs.......then there's all these snythetic wonders......and some have been a proven bolo. But hey.....if it doesnt say gore-tex or micro suede on it.......

When I was younger my girlfreind bought me a Browning 10X 4 in parka gortex. I was warm and camoed out, but with my bow and the temperature drops to freezing or less the 10x is like a frozen piece of plastic. Standing up makes noise. Drawing my bow makes noise, alot of noise when there is no wind. So years later, I looked for a new set up. The choice was wool or the berber fleece. Water proof was not a factor since if it that cold to wear this there is no rain.
    I choose the berber fleece since is was so soft and quiet. I got the wind sheer in the parka and bibs. There is a small very amount of noise but nothing like a garbage bag in the wind. I have yet to have water soak thru to my skin. I have laid down on wet snow for almost 2 hours only to get up and have the snow stuck to my clothes. I was not cold or wet, just sneeky. The texture of the berber seems to absorb light and the camo does not stick out, only blends.
    This berber seems to heavy to do things the "BENOIT WAY".

Fleece for light weight warmth and Impertech for when the rain falls.

Wool is for winter. Cold, dry, winter.

There are a great variety of ways that fleece are available....as there are now for wool. For me fleece does anything wool does only better and often cheaper...but not necessarily cheap. With wool, a garment increases in weight because water bonds with the lanolin in the wool while for synthetics the water can only adsorb to the outside of the synthetic fibers which is why they can be essentially shaken dry/damp. Both have the ability to hold warmth due to their ability to "trap" air and neither is intrinsically waterproof.

The thing I love about berber fleece is it's "loft". Very little things feel better under a raincoat than a good "fluffy" fleece coat. That's about the only application I like berber for other vs. standard polartec fleece.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I own both and prefer the Berber with windshear to wool. The Berber is just as warm, lighter, more comfortable and dries faster.

Wool,denim and Carhartt,polypro longjohns.Poly sock inside a wool sock and wool gloves inside leather mittens.Long slicker for rain gear and Sorel pac boots or Xtratuffs

Default beagle wear

this company uses a wool treated with teflon in its products and adds a waterproof liner. Has any body used BEAGLE WEAR??????????
    http://BEAGLEWEAR.COM