Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sitka Gear Report

Default Sitka Gear Report

I was out the last couple days looking for an outsized blackie bruin. I took the Sitka Ascent Pant, Core Zip T and Traverse Tip T with me.

The Ascent Pant performed up to my expectations. I was fast drying, reasonably warm for a light pant, and did a reasonable job blocking wind. No holes, snags, or adverse wear from breaking through deadfalls, devil's club, and alder thickets.

The Core Zip T did it's job as a top base layer. It was reasonably warm when hiking alpine areas. It also dried VERY fast then on the body.

The Traverse Tip T was ok. It was somewhat warm when out of the wind, but I was not impressed with its ability to block wind. It did dry relatively fast. Over all I can think of some better base layers. My Mountain Hardware Microchill or Sporthill Summit are better mid layer tops.

Brett

My sitka celsius jacket performed very well in the Alaska Range during my sheep hunt, I got somewhat warm and had to shed the jacket at times, but in the evenings when it got cooler it was nice. i also used the Nimbus over my celsius jacket when it rained, and it rained for 3 straight days while I was shuttling my pack and sheep back to base camp. I'm impressed with the nimbus, and it will replace my Helly hansen on mountain hunts from here on out.

Default Conditions?

What was the weather like, Brett?
    Temps 60s/40s? Any rain? Much wind?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    What was the weather like, Brett?
    Temps 60s/40s? Any rain? Much wind?
    No rain, 55-60ish give or take daytime temp, wind at 10-20mph.

Brett

i like my ascent pants as well, comfy pants, good cut and nice features..but i've got three wear holes in them already and just started wearing them in may.
    i'm thinking this line of gear ain't made for lifetime hunters, more seasonal guys that use them for 2 or 3 hunts and are amazed. but i've used my ascent pants on about 8 hunts or so and have holes in them already...
    i'll be seeing how they feel about that too....i've got a 45 dollar pair of legacy fleece pants from cabeals i've been wearing for 4 years on EVERY hunt without a single hole, wearhole, rip or tear...i'd think 175 dollar pants would be a step up...so far i was wrong. BUT they aren't as HOT...and more comfy to wear on warm days thats for sure!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the report on the Ascent pants. Was eyeing them, but I'll keep using the columbia fishing pants with a base layer underneath when it gets cold. Only $30 per pant versus $150. HMMM I guess I owe ya a coffee or beer or something for saving me the extra $$$

I picked up pair of the Nimubs rain paints on a SUPER clearance sale early this year. I used them and the Ascent Pants. What I really liked on the Ascent pants was the suspenders.... Both pants stood up well to a mountain hunt with wind, rain, snow, and temps ranging from low 20s to mid 50s. Ascent Pants were a gift and the Nimbus Rains were a heck of a deal so no complaints here! : )

I 2nd Brett's comments on the Traverse Zip T. It was ok, but not all that. There are better mid layers out there, IMO. I like my Smartwool better

well I am dissapointed to hear that about your ascent pants and it certainly dampens my spirits on the ones that I have waiting on my at the house, I have reported a number of time on how poorly my set of Sitka mountain pants lasted. While you are complaining of a few wear holes my mountain pants virtually exploded last season. Sure I got a lot of feild time in but they were in such bad shape after my sheep hunt that I boxed them sent them back to Sitka and purchased a set of cheapo sportsmans w/h off brand stuff. Despite being single stitched it held up better than the MUCH more expensive stika gear.

Smile maybe...

Are we about maxed out with technology in our hunting clothes? My old Cabela's fleece pants are so old I forgot when I bought them. My Mad Dog pants are old also. But, I will be taking them up the Koyukuk this year. Then there is my favorite hip boot pants, the tapered fleece wading pants. My wife laughed like heck when she saw them. Said it reminded her of some "men in tights" thing. Guys like me should not wear tights. I keep hearing about the Sitka Gear and before that it was River's West. I also keep hearing about them leaking. Still, I am part of the never ending search for the ultimate gear.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like the sikta undergarmanets... but a fleece over that and some arcterx guide modle gortex ski bibs.. and i am good to go in any wet /cold condtion...

for moose hunting.. the only reason i wear camo anymore is that is what the out doors clothes are colored in. my outer garments are old now also but they are dedicated blood,mud, play wear... and that keeps her happy as i care for it all my self....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default My Sitka Experience and La Sportiva Boots

Like I told the guys at Sitka, I would not have traded my SG for twin centerfolds to crawl in my sleeping bag w/ me. And brothers, I was COLD every night. My bag has lost its loft!
    I wore the Ascent pants, and loved everything about them. They are lightweight, quick drying, flexible, pockets in all the right places, and the suspenders worked like a dream. The only time I took them off was at night because they were wet, and they dried even though several nights it was below freezing out.
    I used the 90% jacket. While not touted as wind resistant, it is. So much so that I kept the armpit zippers open when I walked. My buddy did not have much of a wind layer, and the day he wore my 90% jacket I was not sure he was giving it back. Good fit, pockets done well, and the armpit zippers really got a workout as I sweat so bad when moving, even slowly.
    I also used the Beanie and the Balaclava both. Nice, comfortable, no itch, and did not stretch out and become loose.
    I bought the Stormfront Lite raingear tops and bottoms. NICE! No, they will not hold up if I crawl over rocks and sharp pointy stuff. But they did the job in blowing snow and rain. I never felt wet while wearing them. The hood on the jacket cinches down very nicely from the back. I liked the fit.
    I wish the rain pants were a little bit bigger in the leg as my boots would not go through the legs, but no issue. I did note that the crotch seam pulled free, but still it did not leak there. For lightweight rain gear I was pretty happy with it.
    On this last trip I was pretty much underdressed and undergeared. The only thing that kept me comfortable enough to keep going was my Sitka Gear.
    Oh yeah, my new La Sportiva GTX Trango boots were AWESOME! My feet only got wet one day. I was wading through soaking wet tundra and puddles stalking caribou for close to 5 hours. The wind was driving the rain and snow pretty much constantly. The boots I felt still did well when taking into account the conditions.

Thanks for the report on the Ascent pants. Was eyeing them, but I'll keep using the columbia fishing pants with a base layer underneath when it gets cold. Only $30 per pant versus $150. HMMM I guess I owe ya a coffee or beer or something for saving me the extra $$$
    Amen. I'm finding it tough to beat my tan pair of X-Officio fishing pants that I picked up for 1/2 price.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Amen. I'm finding it tough to beat my tan pair of X-Officio fishing pants that I picked up for 1/2 price.
    I love ex-officio pants for basic pants, but also bring a pair of rain pants to go over them.

Does anyone have a short answer for what Sitka replaced the Nimbus (now discontinued, right?) gear with?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I love ex-officio pants for basic pants, but also bring a pair of rain pants to go over them.

Does anyone have a short answer for what Sitka replaced the Nimbus (now discontinued, right?) gear with?
    Not 100% sure, but I believe it is the Storm Front line. Not sure why the name change, but I am happy with my Nimbus pants. When they disco'd them I was lucky to get a heck of a deal... Not sure I would pay $150+ for a pair of rain pants when the Patagonia Rain Shadows can be had for around $100 or so.... The trick is to find them in a color other than black, but it can be done.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...&p=84492-0-155

Oh yeah..those pants ain't rain pants. They are just comfortable when it's not raining, or lightly raining. But then again, the Sitka Ascent pants either. Impertech for my top layer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I believe it is the Storm Front line. Not sure why the name change, but I am happy with my Nimbus pants. When they disco'd them I was lucky to get a heck of a deal... Not sure I would pay $150+ for a pair of rain pants when the Patagonia Rain Shadows can be had for around $100 or so.... The trick is to find them in a color other than black, but it can be done.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...&p=84492-0-155
    thanks i've got a Sitka Nimbus jacket I'm taking up there in a couple of weeks along with some Cabela's Alaskan Guide pants that feel like the same material. I also have some extras layers just in case.

i'm not trying to dog sitka here, but their top of the price range rain pants have leaked for me every chance i've given them. impertec is top layer for my wife, cause i know at least SHE'LL be dry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'm not trying to dog sitka here, but their top of the price range rain pants have leaked for me every chance i've given them. impertec is top layer for my wife, cause i know at least SHE'LL be dry.
    Fair enough. People should hear that before dropping big $$ on the StormFront line... With that said the old Nimbus pants work pretty good. Sad they would they go backwards! Proves my therory that one should NEVER pay retail price for outdoor gear! There is ALWAYS a sale to be had if you don't HAVE to HAVE a particular item!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    thanks i've got a Sitka Nimbus jacket I'm taking up there in a couple of weeks along with some Cabela's Alaskan Guide pants that feel like the same material. I also have some extras layers just in case.
    I used a gammet of garmets this year. Base layer (top) was Patagonia Capilene. Wicked moisture very well & unless I exerted more to make sweat, I stayed dry. I also used the Sitka 90% Jacket. For an insulation layer, I used the Cabelas mid-layer pull over. As a outer "rain" gear, I used the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Gore-Tex jacket. I was warm & dry. My only complaint with the rain gear was it did not have any pit-zips for ventilation, other than that, just as good as Nimbus for 1/2 the price. Matter of fact, they're both made from pac-lite material, go figure...

For the bottom 1/2, I again used Patagonia Capilene as a base, with Either my Sierra Designs or Patagonia's Mountain Pant. As for the outer rain layer I used good old Military Gore-Tex pants. There're tuff, have reinforced knee/seat and have been put through the wringer with no holes & still keep me dry. I won't use the Military Gore-tex jacket, it's horrible!

So far, my "system" has worked very well and I intend to keep utilizing it!

Best of luck to you all in your clothing endeavors!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

This summer I bought a brand new 90% jacket for 1/2 price that someone on this forum send a link for. I was not willing to pay the full price. It is a 2008 model, not this years. I spent two weeks on the north slope chancing caribou with a bow. First, it is made of an odd, almost felt like material. I love the camo pattern for the slope. It seems to work well in blocking the wind. It is light to medium weight. I needed my rag wool sweater under it each morning when it was around 32F as it is not as warm as my Browning Hydrofleece jacket. The under arm zip outs for air work ventilation are fantastic and a real plus. I periodically used the hood when the wind and cold were bad and it fits very nice. It is great to hike in. I only had light rain, so I could not tell you how well it All in all I would give this a good rating, but I am glad I got it for 50% off...I will be wearing it more and more and suspect it will replace my Browning coat. I look forward to comparing it in the rain with my
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast