Thread: Hinchinbrook Island Deer Questions

Default Hinchinbrook Island Deer Questions

Hi folks. I did a search for this question, but can't seem to locate anything on it.
    would anyone be kind enough to chat with me about game bag choices to take to H-Brook for deer?? I have some caribou game bags, but wonder if those will work for deer, or is there something else available? I have never hunted deer up here and therefore not used to having to hang my meat way up in a tree to get it away from bears. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone offer any advice or helpful info I could possibly use for my trip?? I have been to Cordova a few times, but never did a flyout hunt before. I am happy to hear any advice given. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Default Forest Service Cabin or Tent?

Short answer - Your caribou bags will work fine.

How are staying on the island? We stayed at the Double Bay FS cabin, and it has a separate, covered meat hanging area about maybe 70 yds or so from the cabin itself. We gutted our deer on the spot, but dragged them out whole (whitetail game rules ). Once back at the cabin we hung them from the pole, skinned them from the chin down, sprayed them with some game preserver then covered them with the cotton caribou bags up to the fur line on the head. Worked out well, meat was fine, and the covered meat pole keeps the bags reasonably dry despite the near constant wind/rain in Oct. No problems with bears either - and the deer were maybe three feet off the ground, and our gut piles went untouched for days. Hinchinbrook was relatively easy to drag deer across (especially with a dead sled) or if you have a small Zodiak you can just drag deer to shore and then shuttle around to your campsite (I'm assuming you will be camping close to shore).

For comparison when we hunted Afognak, deer had to be quartered and packed out (especially because of the bears, didn't want to drag) and the terrain wasn't as drag friendly. Again, we used caribou bags - but we cut the bags to size and used zip ties to close the opens ends to make smaller bags. Downside is you cut up your bag. But the smaller bags are easier to put higher in a tree. Deer remains attacted bears like flies on Afognak.

Either way will work - just comes to personal preference and your modes of transport.

Good luck and have fun - Hinchinbrook has some real pretty terrain.

Thumbs up

Tell your pilot or captian you want to be dropped off away from the cabins. Look for a good beach that has decent depth, for easy access. There are several like this on the west side of the island. The east side gets quite a bit of pressure and around the cabins you will definately be hunting behind someone else, and consequently you usually have to hunt further and harder than the previous party. Be aware of bears in the area, usually not a problem, but they are there, so it always helps to do what you can to avoid conflict with them. Double Bay and Hook Point both have cabins if that is what you choose to do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Deer questions

Fellers, I appreciate the info. We are staying in the Double Bay cabin. I would rather camp someplace away from the hordes, but have heard the weather is brutal down there and also hard on gear. i have been told there a LOT of bears there, part of the reason I wanted to go. I wouldn't mind getting a brownie. But this trip is for freezer filling, so we'll concentrate on deer for the most part. Ucohokie, by "covered" on that hanging area, is that a shed, or what??

We hunted the Double Bay cabin for years. Get a map and walk over to Yelper Bay, real good deer hunting over there. Big ridges......

Have fun.

Mike

Default Covered

The meat pole is a heavy crossbeam between two large posts. Above the crossbeam is an A-frame to keep the rain off the meat. No protection other than your bags for sideways windblown moisture, but I had two deer hanging 5 days with no ill effect. You can probably hang 6-8 deer from it.

Akres is correct - hunt away from the cabin - that was our "learning experience". I was fortunate and took 3 deer but they were all young - good eating though. We passed on our lessons learned onto some buddies who did the same trip a year later - same cabin, same transporter, same time of year - but used a zodiak to get away from the cabin and they shot a lot more deer.

Another thing about Double Bay; if you bring a zodiak - bring a shotgun, you can mix it up with a little duck hunting - hundreds move through there.

Spent a few days at Double Bay this summer.

If you're going by boat, the cabin at Double Bay is a PITA to get in to. Some maps give you the impression that the cabin is easily accessible by boat. Be prepared to anchor out in the bay, and zodiac it in, or get in initially and from the cabin at high tide by boat. If you elected to go ahead and take the boat all the way in, take it slow, put someone on the bow and attempt to find and follow the channel that snakes through the bay. You have to use the tides to get in and out by boat.

The log entries in the cabin log made it sound like the last few years, it took some hiking out away from the cabin itself to successfully hunt. Log entries also mentioned some bear encounters.

The cabin is pretty nice, oil and wood heat. Take some fuel oil with you, but plan on using the wood stove if it gets really cold to knock the chill off. There's a leak in the roof by the oil stove flue, so don't stow your gear close by. The FS is supposed to fix it, but there was foil stuffed in the hole as a temp fix.

Red face Hinchinbrook Deer Junt

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Spent a few days at Double Bay this summer.

If you're going by boat, the cabin at Double Bay is a PITA to get in to. Some maps give you the impression that the cabin is easily accessible by boat. Be prepared to anchor out in the bay, and zodiac it in, or get in initially and from the cabin at high tide by boat. If you elected to go ahead and take the boat all the way in, take it slow, put someone on the bow and attempt to find and follow the channel that snakes through the bay. You have to use the tides to get in and out by boat.

The log entries in the cabin log made it sound like the last few years, it took some hiking out away from the cabin itself to successfully hunt. Log entries also mentioned some bear encounters.

The cabin is pretty nice, oil and wood heat.
    Take some fuel oil with you, but plan on using the wood stove if it gets really cold to knock the chill off. There's a leak in the roof by the oil stove flue, so don't stow your gear close by. The FS is supposed to fix it, but there was foil stuffed in the hole as a temp fix.
    We will be flying in, so hopefully they can put us off close to the cabin. I don't have access to a zodiac, but If I found a raft, how do I allow enough room in the plane for that???

It sounds like there wouldn't be that much room. This IS my first flyout...betcha can't tell...
    I'm good on the bear encounters as long as I don't have one while heading to the PRIVY
    What sort of oil is that, diesel?? Or kerosene? I think they mention that on the site don't they... I think I remember that.

Thanks for all the info guys. I can't wait to get there.

Hey Mark, I got the fuel oil worked out. I have plenty at work I will hoard.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Hey Mark, I got the fuel oil worked out. I have plenty at work I will hoard.
    Work for the goverment?

Better check on transportation limitations before you prep your camp. Are you flying to Cordova commerical carrier? Some things you gotta pick up local.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Hey res, sounds like we are taking the ferry over to cordova. I'm not with the govt but I do work for a company that tends to go through jet A/ kero with alot of waste oil. sometimes the job has its perks

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    We will be flying in, so hopefully they can put us off close to the cabin. I don't have access to a zodiac, but If I found a raft, how do I allow enough room in the plane for that???

It sounds like there wouldn't be that much room. This IS my first flyout...betcha can't tell...
    I'm good on the bear encounters as long as I don't have one while heading to the PRIVY
    What sort of oil is that, diesel?? Or kerosene? I think they mention that on the site don't they... I think I remember that.

Thanks for all the info guys. I can't wait to get there.

Fuel oil for the stove. If it's really cold, you'll want to knock the chill off the cabin with the wood stove, and use the oil stove to keep it warm. The stove is a Dickinson with an oven, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure the raft would be much good for anything. A zodiac would help you get out away from the cabin and allow you to work the coastline.

Oh. another good bit of info is don't go by the coordinates the FS gives out for the cabins in PWS. They're wrong on a bunch of them. Get your own fix once you get to the cabin with your GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Hey res, sounds like we are taking the ferry over to cordova. I'm not with the govt but I do work for a company that tends to go through jet A/ kero with alot of waste oil. sometimes the job has its perks
    Then you're not going to have a container of fuel oil, right?

You're going to have a large water container.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Then you're not going to have a container of fuel oil, right?

You're going to have a large water container.
    Fuel is not a big thing on the ferry. Just let the crew know, and they will store it till you get to cordova.