Thread: t/c caliber for sheep

Default t/c caliber for sheep

hi, i was wondering what you guys thought would be a good caliber for a sheep hunt. i want to buy a thompson center pistol, probably the contender g2 with a 15 in barrel, and need to choose a caliber. i was thinking something along the lines of 7mm-08 or .308.

tell me what you think. thanks.

The calibers you listed are both excellent in a Contender pistol. Use the best bullets you can shoot accurately and practice, practice and practice some more out to 200 yards. Personally, I would go with the 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets. I am sold on Nosler Partitian bullets for Alaska hunting. They are all I load and shoot since I hit a brown bear with a Hornady bullet that exploded on impact, nearly getting me and my partner mauled, and a Speer Mag-Tip that came apart on a black bear. Since going to Partitions I have never had an animal wounded or lost. Every one was a one-shot kill.
    I love my Contender, but if you aren't used to shooting one and at long range, you will have problems at sheep hunting distances. Whatever you do, don't put a cheap scope on it. The weather up here is brutal on scopes, and a cheap one will let you down every time.

Thumbs up

I agree with Hawken 100%

Default fnd1734

No input on the caliber question, but I gotta say that that's the best signature line I've seen yet.

Amen brutha!

Default 7mm/08

I chose the 7MM/08. But the .270, .308, 30/06 or any caliber in that range would be fine.

The 15" 7MM/08 is a dream to shoot. Little recoil and on a stainless Encore, easy to pack up a mountain or down.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

7mm-08 and 308 are Encore cartridges, not Contender cartridges.

I'd also go with an Encore in 7mm-08...or if you are set on the Contender, a 7-30 Waters.

Default another question

Is a 7mm remmag too much for a sheep?

Red face 7mm-08!

I would go with the 7mm-08, I have this cal. and others. As pointed out those cal.'s you mentioned are only chambered in the stronger encore frame. Get it in SS ,nice gun.Bill.

A 7-30 waters is an excellent Contender cartridge. There are many JDJ wildcats that are even better in the Contender. You'd better be a handloader and don't forget your ammo at home.

As Allan said, the 7mm-08 & 308 are not available in the Contender (too high a pressure), but are in the Encore. Either would work great on sheep.
    Myself, I prefer the feel of the Contender. As has already been stated the 7x30 Waters would work well out to 200yds or so. I'm currently working with a .358 x 444 wildcat barrel. Hornady's 180gr Single Shot Pistol bullet laves the barrel at near 2600 fps on a friends gun (haven't chronographed mine yet). At 2500 fps, it can be zeroed @ 200, & it's only 2.75" high @ 125 (highest point in trajectory) & 11.5" low @ 300. At 300 it's still going almost 1800 fps & Hornady says the bullet performs well at a terminal velocity of down to 1600.
    I'm really hoping this barrel works out well. It should make a good sheep/goat/spot & stock black bear barrel with the 180s, & with 200-225s(maybe even 250s) should work out well for moose out to 200+. For big bears I have a .444 marlin barrel.
    You can get a brand new custom 15" .358 x .444 barrel from "Coyote Guns" for about $240.00, & only need .444 Marlin dies & .358 Winchester dies to size the cases. A really easy wildcat to form & load for.
    The same type of round is available in .30 cal. in the .308 x .444 wildcat, & it would be great for sheep-caribou, but a little light for moose.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Allen is absolutely correct. I was thinking Contender talking about an Encore. I have both, and like them both. I have a .22 LR Match 10" barrel, a .223 Remington 14" and a .35 Remington barrels for my Contender. I have an Encore handgun with a .373 JDJ barrel and a .45/410 barrel ordered for it. I have a new Pro Hunter rifle, also. My Pro Hunter rifle has a .280 Remington barrel and a .204 Ruger barrel so far. All are also stainless, which is the way to go up here. I had a blued one a few years ago and got rid of it to get my stainless one because it was too much maintenance in this climate.
    I was going to sell my Contender handgun when I bought the Encore handgun frame, but decided to keep it, as it does shoot very well.
    I have Leupold and Burris scopes on most of the barrels and have a Simmons 2X7 handgun scope on the .35 Remingtom barrel. It has never failed me, nor shifted it's zero, even after hundreds of rounds fired through it.
    Either way you go, these are outstanding guns if you can handle the single-shot capacity and the sometimes extreme recoil of some stiff cartridges. In the Encore pistol, the .375 is a handful. When you touch it off, you know something fierce was just unleashed, both in front of and behind the muzzle.....
    My brother in law has an Encore pistol with a .7mm-08 15" barrel and raves about it on the mule deer he has taken with it in northern Nevada.
    Whatever caliber you do choose will be great in an Encore or Contender as long as it is suitable for sheep. As I said before, practice, practice and practice some more. Make it QUALITY practice.

Default well i bought it

i decided to go with a Encore frame with a 15 in barrel in 270 win. So far its a great shooter. I bought a burris 2x-7x handgun scope. The only problem ive had is that with the low mount rings and with burris' posi-lock device on the scope, the posi-lock turret touches the scope mount and tilts it off kilter. what do you guys (or gals) think i should do about this?

Get higher rings?

Seems like the easy fix to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Get higher rings?

Seems like the easy fix to me.
    Agreed.

The other "red neck" fix might be to rotate the scope 90*. Then your vertical adjustment would become your windage, etc.
    High rings would be the best answer, but rotation might work if time or dollars are short. I use high rings on all me Encore barrels because it gives me good thumb clearance for the hammer with out a hammer extension.
    Since your last post I went to Encore's from Contenders. Really liked the 7-08, but the 270 should do a great job!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."