Thread: Kayak for a Tender

Default Kayak for a Tender

I'm looking for a kayak to use as a tender for my 27 foot aluminum charter boat. I'd like it to be 8 feet long or less. I can find reasonably priced 9 foot kayaks, but it appears that shorter kayaks aren't readily available. I really just need something to shuttle me to shore after I drop off passengers and gear from the big boat. I don't want a raft. Suggestions?

Thanks....jim

Default Info

So, I found this kayak which appears to fit my bill both in size and price. anyone have a comment on its handling. Anyone know of a dealer for Pelican kayaks in alaska?

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...lboat=breakdlx

Cliffhanger,
    I had a Pelican kayak, and it was great for one person. It was easy to stow and would zip around with ease. I have a short cab on my boat, so it was a great as a tender. However, there wasn't a lot of freeboard, but it is a pretty simple kayak. I got mine at Sportsmans ?? I now use an AIRE kayak since it is easier to take my 65lb dog to shore.

Default Inflateable

I also use an inflateable kayak as a tender for my 22ft Aluminum boat. Carries me the wife and the dog to shore and is very stable.
    I picked up a Sevylor at sportsmans for about $300 if I remember and have used it 3 years now.

How is it getting into a yak from the big boat without assistance? I have entertained the idea myself, but want to make sure it can be done without getting soaked.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default 3 years

Been doing it for three years in an inflatable and nobody has gone swimming yet. I guess it might be more interesting in a hardshell. My dog won't use the bathroom on the boat, so has to go to shore at least twice a day(although she did have diarrhea on the boat recently.....poor little thing).
    I own an AIRE raft for floating rivers and wished I had the coinage to upgrade to an AIRE kayak for the boat.

We use a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 13 Tandem kayak as our tender from camps on the shore to and from the boat. I have been very happy with the kayak - durable, stable, can be paddled by one or two people, nice keek so tracks well. Nice to have on the beach for exploration as well. The make some 10' models that might fit the bill for you. I have had no issues in getting in/out of the kayak from the boat. These are not full blown ocean kayaks so they perform best in seas 3 feet or less. Here is there Web site:
    http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...s/recreational

Default Maybe not...

Now I'm thinking an 8 foot kayak might be really tough to get into and if there's wave action on or off the beach it will be dicey not getting dunked/soaked/drowned....

Maybe an inflatable raft is the ticket...

I have used two types of tenders for our boating needs - an Alpacka pack raft and the Wilderness System Plastic kayak. I like the plastic kayak as it is easier getting in and out of from the boat, durable being plastic (will not puncture easily) and more efficient to paddle. The Alpacka raft was good to have when we were running a Tolman wide body skiff as it packed down to a small size. I really like having the rigid kayak as a tender.

My two cents.

Doug

Default Wilderness Systems Pungos

I have been carrying two 12 foot Pungos on my 30' Sundowner Tug for five years. They are incredably stable and very good performers. They make a 10 foot pungo that may be ideal for your needs. The cockpit has a large opening so getting in and out is quite easy and you can carry a lot of stuff with you. Our 12 footers handle 3 to 3.5 foot seas well with a half skirt. I would think the extra 2 feet on the 10 footer would be well worth the extra effort for the stability and utility.