Thread: what is a good atv

Default what is a good atv

so what is good allround atv for a big guy to ride ..since iam new to the atv and not really rode one before..and was looking to pick one up after rideing a one that my bro has one and he had me rideing around the lot and he told me that i was the one thing i would need up there ..so i now trying to find out about the best one
    i would like to find a biggest one that i can get for iam a 6.ft.3.inchs talls and i want to find one that fit my size and body wieght ..

so want is the biggest one that they make for use around the cabin site and other use as need for fun rides..

i want to add a warn wrinch on the front along with a set of bummper push bars with headlights and a rear bummper unit with taillights and rear stowage compactment for items along with a windshield on the front with a couple of diff items like brush handguards and skid plate set up for the bottom of the unit for protection of the motor and transmisson unit ..

i want to set up for basic use around the cabin and doing little odd trips out into the brush for camping trips ..

any idea for a good allaround machince to use ..for i looking for the biggest atv unit so i will not feel cramped when rideing the machince ..

Sounds like you need to make a trip to the local ATV dealers. You find one that fits you 'just right'.

Default Easy...

Go to your Arctic Cat dealer and sit on a couple different models until you find the one that fits.

http://www.arctic-cat.com/atv/dirt.a...DERCAT1000H2LE

That said, my old man is in the "big-n-tall" category (6'5") and he's been running the same Suzuki King Quad for about a dozen years and he really likes it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default everyone has their own idea of that on here

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    so what is good allround atv for a big guy to ride ... i would like to find a biggest one that i can get for iam a 6.ft.3.inchs
    ... i looking for the biggest atv unit so i will not feel cramped when rideing the machince ..
    And my idea is that you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Yamaha Grizzly 700 with ITP tires - I have mudlites on mine which are great but their 589s are even better.

If you want fancier then get some aftermarket, possibly slightly larger rims too; but I couldn't justify that. The Grizz has more power than you'll ever need, even if you go to larger tires/rims.

Here's a pic:
    http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/y...n2MakeCamp.jpg

Stay tuned to this thread; you'll get all sorts of good suggestions - and likely all different.

my brother and sister where pulling my leg on atv up there and finaly i got them to tell the truth on them and i was looking at a few diff models but for my sized and wieght i think a bigger unit like the arctic cat 1000.cc model tricked out would be the unit for me ..i going to go and check out the arctic cat models when i get up there ..

larry atv and vicky atv have big custom made stowage boxs on the back ..and that when i got to feeling that i was getting my leg pull at the drinner table for they where telling me that where they live in the brush the atv is used more than a car in the smaller towns for it a trip to store and the postoffice to pick up supplies and the mail in the atv not the truck and i ask them you mean that you go in a snow storm and they said no after the store has passed then they go to to on a snowmoblie or atv unit to pick up supplies or get the mail ..for they where trying to tell that in the small towns it not uncommon to see a atv with a small pull behind trailer runing back and forth in the small brush towns than you see a car ..
    so when i was asking about the atv and want brand to get they told when i get up there to check with the diff dealers and get a idea of what size to get and go and sit on a couple of diff machines to see if they fit

SuperX is right. Find one that feels comfortable then jump on a forum that deals with that specific bike. I ride a Kawasaki BF750I and i read kawieriders.com to see what other riders are having trouble with and also theirs usuall easy fixes to these problems.

ATV's are like everything else...Everyone has an opinion of their own.

I've owned polaris and Kawasaki and ridin' on alot of Yamaha's and Honda's.

Kawasaki, yahmaha and honda are probably my only choice. Not a fan of polaris anymore other than their snowmachines.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default pullin' your leg?

From what you describe, I think most of what they were telling you is actually true - but only for bush communities, not so much in Anchorage area where like 30% plus of the entire population of the state lives.

Power is good, but more important than that is dependability of the machine and driver skill, and not in that order. And if you're serious about tough ATVing throw out the stock tires and get good ones.

Yes, try a few, but watch out for the 600cc or larger ones; floor it with good tires/traction and you just might find yourself flat on your back with 600+ pounds of still-running ATV on top of you. Just a half dozen years ago the largest ATV made was like 500cc and it was enough for everyone.

Buy me a cold one and I'll tell you a story about my still-running ATV on top of me with it wearing heck-for-tough chains on all 4 tires... After I managed to get if off me I was glad to see it run into that tree, which saved it from a 500 foot fall off a cliff. *Stuff* happens.

You don't mention your size beyond height (we're about the same height). One good rule of thumb is don't buy any ATV you can't lift, and turn back upright by yourself. Did I mention *stuff* happens?

he also said a good heavy duty wind and waterproof snow suit with gloves and boots with helmet is a good buy also..
    mike has a custom two wheeled trailer set up for his that he use to haul supplies back the cabin he say out of him i got the most honest answer out of about the atv and there use up there..

he told that if a really bad storm is comeing in to the area watch the old timers for they are the ones that are going into the store to get the extras stuff ..if they are not buy anything extras and hauling it out the cabin then it fine ..
    but he did tell me that in the smaller towns up there that the atv unit is most used vehicle around town ..

i have been rideing theres around the lot that they have in there back yard to get used to rideing one
    my bro larry did the whole give it to much gas and watch it come up on you trick the first time he showed me how to ride the unit for i have been driveing the machince around the backyard real slow intill get where i can do the basic of driveing with it ..
    the thing is that i do not want to really get supid with a machince that hurt inless i really need to ..

for iam only going to be anchorage for one year intill i can get the cabin bult in the little bush town south of comeing over the border where the border and custom people have there station at .where everybody is going to come to back to live and that where they have there homes and land at there in alaska..
    larry and mike say that the town is a small town just down the road from the bigger town in the area and they say it a great little town to live and raise the kids in ..

I am 6'5" 245 and I plan to buy a 700-750 cc but have no interest in going larger than that. I would not consider anything smaller than a 500. I have a smaller chassis 400 yamaha Kodiak and consider it too small and lethargic for me though it get my wife around just fine. I will not buy a quad w/ out EFI and the more I research it the more power steering sounds like a must have. I would also point out that the bumpers and all the cladding should be lower on your list of must haves. #1 is a winch, #2 is a good set of mud tires! Get them immediately then ride for a while and pick out the rest of the accessories base on your useage. The only other thing that may be worth buy immediately is a set of hand guards, nothting sucks like getting your hand mashed by a tree branch, and it's not IF it happens it's WHEN!

Default efi and eps both good

Yes, the fuel injection (efi) is way nice, but so is the new power steering (EPS) too.

Default Quit ***** Footing Around!

Check out all of the dealers and make up your own mind! There are no bad wheelers out there, just bad riders! Find the ride that fits your needs, could be anything from a Yamaha to a Polaris. How the heck can you know unless you ride em all? These newbie threads are a hoot, everybody here is already set in there ways and of course they got an opinion. Just try to go to the dealers, they will bad mouth every other manufacturer out there. I ride with a diverse mix of atvs and riders and it has proven true, no bad machines, just bad riders, so if you have problems, work with, don't be a problem owner with, the dealers! I love the big rigs myself, they pull my sorry butt out of the worse places! Check them all out, you will do ok. Take your time and go for what feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    . Just try to go to the dealers, they will bad mouth every other manufacturer out there.
    Thats not always true. 2 years ago when I was a Honda guy and riding a Rubicon, I went back to Honda and asked 1 question: Do you have anything that is in line with the new Grizzly? His answer: Nope!! Sold my Rubi the next day and bought an '07 Grizz the day after that. Then added an '09 this year and haven't looked back.

But like has been said, you just need to ride them all and find what works for you and your riding skills. Good advice on here so far!!!
    EricL

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default 2010 Polaris 850 Browning Edition

Just got back this weekend from ordering/buying an 2010 850 polaris...I have read a lot about guys not liking Polaris brand, BUT I have had 3 of them and no more problems than any other machine, (just a side note, a 700 was what military was using for quite a few years as their special purpose vehicles)...The new one has the full hunting package, winch, heated thumbs, power steering and lot of basic extra add ons with the base price...I also am a big guy and really liked it...just my 2 cents

just bought a 09' 750 King Quad Axi.....,,,fuel inj., indep fr/rr., etc.....a very good machine. boy oy boy it don't get hot like my past 03' 660 Griz.....doesn't seem to use any oil either. Me and the wife mob around the foothills of the brooks quite easily and with plenty of power. There is a few upgrades but that is down the road. yup....go to your dealer and get some power,,,,them seats on some are key as well.