Thread: I got big by something in AK. I have a sickeness

Default I got big by something in AK. I have a sickeness

Well guys i got bit by some thing in AK and now i am coming down with some sort of sickness. All i want to do now is start tying up some of my own flies. Could that have come from catching Reds? Or was it the Silvers? I want to start simple. What is the yellow and red material on this fly? any advice for a new guy starting out? I tied some in high school when Herters was going strong if that tells you anything. Thanks For your help!

Default yikes

Bucktail that is dyed yellow & red. That fly is simple Micky finn....You need tinsel black thread and dyed bucktail.

You best get a second job...fly tying is so addictive and the more you do it the more you love it. But the problem is buying all the materials can be big bucks..Not all tying is expensive but capes for dry flies add up fast & Hooks also. A few thousand just gets you started.

To save money shop at hobby stores and even walmart has stuff. Last year i got a big string of pink Maribou for $.99..and beads at the craft store work just like ones the fishing stores sell. Also if you hunt great if not find someone that does. Feathers & hair are free then. Good example is i never use all the deer hide i have from the deer season. Someone could cure & dye it and have a liftime supply cheap for micky finns.

You will find youtube has many good fly tying vidoes (how to)

A link that has good info.

www.hatchesmagazine.com/

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/january2006/79 How to tie that fly
    Last edited by Treeguy; 08-22-2009 at 20:12. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Well guys i got bit by some thing in AK and now i am coming down with some sort of sickness.

That could turn out to be very costly illness

Below is a site with fly tying info/recipes specific to Alaska....

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/index.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Practice up as we will probably do another fly swap later this year on the forum. A couple of us were also talking about a fly tying night once a month after the first of the year.

You will know you are truly sick, when you're stopping to check road kill to see what you can use.

My advice, don't go cheap on the vice or tools. Don't go with a kit. ID 2 or 3 flys you want to start with and get the material for them...........don't worry, in no time you will have more then you will ever use.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    You will know you are truly sick, when you're stopping to check road kill to see what you can use.

My advice, don't go cheap on the vice or tools. Don't go with a kit. ID 2 or 3 flys you want to start with and get the material for them...........don't worry, in no time you will have more then you will ever use.
    Had to laugh at that one: my stops have been for the tail taken off a red fox out of Delta, bluejays and a mink in Ketchikan, quills off a porky in British Columbia, unfortunely the freezer has a special area set aside for my finds.