Thread: Smoking Pinks

Default Smoking Pinks

Are Pinks that are in good shape worth smoking?

I think pinks in good shape are good enough for the grill if they go straight there.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

pinks are very good smoking just be careful easy to mess up if your used to smoking bigger filets

I dont care for Pinks but thats just me. I have had some smoked and canned pinks that were pretty good however

I think I'm gonna give some a try, this will be my 1st time smoking.

Good Salmon to practice on hu??

it smokes up differently then red salmon and te other better quality salmons but just know when you set out it isnt gonna be as good as the others and you wont be let down, alot of people go into it thinking it will turn out like red salmon and that just doesnt happen

Thumbs down I've always failed smoking pinks

Every year I try a few in the smoker but I've never yet made anything close to edible... and my smoked reds are really good.

I've tried my usual salt with a little sugar (red recipe), a strong Yoshida soak, a strong soy soak... and nada bueno.

If anyone has a particular recipe for smoked pinks let it be known and I'll try yet again - but without something new to try, I won't.

what ends up being wrong with yours when i first tried them i way over did it on time, and that ruined them, but ive found if i use the biggest filets and leave them whole and usually about 6-8 hours in my smoker they end up pretty good, again nothing like red salmon in tatse and quality but still pretty good

Default its the taste...

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    what ends up being wrong with yours when i first tried them i way over did it on time, and that ruined them, but ive found if i use the biggest filets and leave them whole and usually about 6-8 hours in my smoker they end up pretty good, again nothing like red salmon in tatse and quality but still pretty good
    Not a rotten/ugly taste, just not any great taste (like a nicely done red).

6-8 hours? You must be extremely low heat; are you in a big/little chief there?

The only time I go as long as 6 hours is when too much door opening or too cold of ambient temp happens; I run 130 or so internal usually.

And yes, I was doing big pinks in large whole fillets every time.

I smoke alot of them and give them to people that don't know any better. They were not bad just not as good as any other Salmon.

Thumbs up Try this I love it

4cups brown sugar
    1 cup salt
    10tsps dry minced garlic

slice vertically to the skin every inch or two. Put some dry brine in 9x12. coat fillets with dry brine (THICK). place in the pan skin to skin and fish to fish (don't do them fish to skin.) Let sit for 6 hours in the fridge. rinse thoroughly. It will be all gooey! Let dry on the smoker racks for a couple hours until tacky. preheat smoker and smoke until your liking. I use alder and apple in my little chief smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    4cups brown sugar
    1 cup salt
    10tsps dry minced garlic

slice vertically to the skin every inch or two. Put some dry brine in 9x12. coat fillets with dry brine (THICK). place in the pan skin to skin and fish to fish (don't do them fish to skin.) Let sit for 6 hours in the fridge. rinse thoroughly. It will be all gooey! Let dry on the smoker racks for a couple hours until tacky. preheat smoker and smoke until your liking. I use alder and apple in my little chief smoker.
    Thanks! How do you like your little chief? I just bought the big chief yesterday.

Default Thank you for the pink recipe

Thanks for the pink recipe TG; I will try it. And just when I'd decided to not keep another pink...

+1 for that!

That is so opposite my normal recipe, which is almost all salt and just a tad sugar. If this works well, then no wonder I'd failed every time before on pinks.

And post #1 eh? Welcome to the forum!

Just wondering how ya'll liked the recipe... got some silvers in the smoker now. The lil chief is perfect for it.

Thanks for the welcome! just moved here a month and a half ago. Now i am leaving for a couple a months....just as the silvers are starting!!

Maybe the deer will be down low when I get back.

Smile no pinks

Thanks again for the recipe; I've put it in my smoke-recipe book and will use it next time I get a pink... but I've gotten none since I got the recipe so nothing to report.

I do appreciate you sharing your recipe though - that was very generous.

Default Smokin in Fairbanks

I just purchased a Big Chief from Wally World for $97 bucks last Friday and used it all weekend on some reds, silvers and and a couple of kings. I did some king and silver in jars after smoking and dry brine. Also some half smoked and full smoked filets. The half smoked silvers took about 8 hours and the the full smoked reds took about 8 hours. It was my first time smoking and jarring fish and I had a blast doing it. A lot of work but everything came out great and even my native wife and inlaws thought the Big Chief did a great job of smoking. Not quite the same as a true smokehouse, but when you live in town you gotta do what you gotta do!!
    Also used about the same recipe as above but added some sage, thyme, salmon seasoning and dried onion flakes in the brine mixture.

I've never done any good with smoking pinks either. To me they are the lowest form of salmon there is. However, filleted and canned, they're okay.
    Now what ?

Fresh pinks are my favorite salmon to eat on the grill. Make sure they are chrome if you bonk em
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Dude, I found your logo!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery