Thread: Gibbs 45-70 Questions

Default Gibbs 45-70 Questions

Hi all,

I was looking at a Gibbs 45-70 carbine today. My questions are: 1) What type of pressures can the enfield action hold? 50-60,000+? 2) If I can reem it to a 45-90, to take into account it's ability to hold cartridges of 3" length, what benefit would it be over the 45-70? Would it get 500 grains of lead to 2000 fps?

Thanks for the help!

Ron

Default The SMLE action

is a 45,000 psi action, but it is a moot point as even the heaviest of 45-70 loads is well within safe pressures. Unless you are trying to make it into a .458 with overloads. Mine was based on a No. 4 action. It held 2 cartridges in the magazine which was actually why I sold the thing. Magazines became impossible to obtain after Gibbs had problems with the manufacturer. I always like having several magazines because, well, things happen. I don't know if that situation was resolved, but modifying a standard SMLE action was difficult or impossible at best and would be exhorbitant if done by a qualified metal worker. The barrel was made by Rossi in Brazil and was decently accurate, but the rifling was quite shallow and cast bullets had to be relatively light so as to not strip out and lose accuracy as velocity increased. Personally, I would leave it as a 45-70 which, at reasonable ranges for the cartridge, would do anything you need it too.

What do you think about the second question using the Gibbs?

Ron

With the loads available for the 45/70 now, both factory and handloads, why does it need rechambering to 45/90? I have an 1895G, (blued/ported) and can load it to bbd level ( "burn, blind and deafen) as-is. A Garret exiter load will kill dinosaurs, so isn't the longer chamber a moot point?

Wanting to know if you can get 500 grains to 2000 fps in that Gibbs?

Ron

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gibbs_summit.htm

I found this link. From what it says there the added powder volume of the 45-90 is only a help with shorter bullets. Long bullets (heavier) are seated so deep to allow feeding that there is no improvement in volume with the longer case.

Thanks for the info.

Ron