Thread: Big & Tall cross country skiing?

Default Big & Tall cross country skiing?

I want to get into cross country skiing, but don't know if it's going to be possible for me. I'm 6'7" and weigh approx 240 lbs. I've never seen a yeti ski before so I don't know if it's feasible for me to even try.

http://www.skipost.com/gettingstarted.htm would have me use this formula for picking my skis:
    (Your height in inches) x 2.6 + 25 inches = approximate ski length

This formula returns a length of 19.2 feet! Do they come in that size, and will I have to attach a red flag to them when transporting them on top of my car?

Those would be some long skiis--maybe you could just start out jumping?

A reputable ski dealer can properly size you with the right equipment.
    I am a big gal (not tall just wide!) and ski just fine both skate and classic. My skiis are both short (about nose height on me) but they have very stiff camber to make up for my ability to compress them.

Thank you Cristancanoe!

Default Ski shops

Check out the local ski shops for eqiupment sizing. Don't try to do it on your own. With a slightly out of "normal" size, you will need to go outside the box a little to find the right setup.

AMH on Spenard is a great place, but there are others around town as well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Go to a reputable shop like AMH. There should be any issue getting you skis. I know several guys that are your size that ski extensively.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your replies! I'll be going to AMH before the snow hits.

On a side note, I think I figured out their formula

"(Height in inches) * 2.6" This would approx. convert height in inches to centimeters and I'm sure the end result should have been in centimeters as well.

At any rate, I'll let someone in the know help me with selection.

Thanks again!

Barney's is the XC dream store during winter. AMH and REI are good, too. All are within a block of each other so shopping is convenient. Your size will not present a problem. You'll just need to decide what discipline of XC you want to focus on. Classic, skate, boondocking, it's all good fun.

I second the endorsment of Barney's. I'm 6'6" and have been buying my XC equipment there since I was a kid. Nice, helpful folks....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Awesome! I'll check those out as well.

I'll be boondocking in the forest behind my house. I figure the ease of access will make me more likely to get out and do it often, plus the seclusion will shield me from the laughter during my learning phase

I have plans to take up cross country skiing this year as well. I am similar in stature to you (6'5" 245) and equally lost as well! I have eliminated the skate skis and am leaning toward something that I can navigate the wooded backcountry w/. I also keep looking at the alpine crossover ski things and that sure sounds neat! The down fall is it sure is an expensive sport to buy into new!!

Default Boots!!!

One thing to keep in mind, by far, the most important part of cross country skiing is getting a pair of boots that fit properly. A bad fitting boot can ruin the entire feeling and cause problems for more than just your feet. You can get away with off-sized skis and even poles, but boots need to fit properly. You don't necessarily need to go with the most expensive, but make sure you don't just jump at the first option out there.

Lujon, I'm 6'5" and 280 and I Xcountry ski regularly. I have Alpina waxless back country skis. They come to about eye level for legnth and are about 2.5-3" wide. The waxless ski's are less versitle but less expensive. I bought poles, ski's, and boots in a package from REI for under $200. If you go with waxed ski's there is more money and maintance involved, but you can chage the wax based on snow conditions, giving more control and speed.

I use mine primarily on the groomed trails in Anchorage, but I do use them for back country too. For open terain they are much better than snow shoes, but for wooded areas I prefer snow shoes. I put about 50 miles on my ski's the first winter and over 100 miles last winter. The first winter I stayed in groomed tracks which is great for speed, but not alwats control. This past year I learned how to get out of the tracks on groomed trails and achieve more control. Now I take advantage of both. Don't worry about spending a lot of money on your first pair of skis. If you buy a pair in a package like mine and like the sport and want to upgrade, you can always use the cheaper pair for "Rock Skis". Rock skis are for early winter conditions where you don't want to damage your good skis, but do not want to wait for a good base to form. They are also useful for melts in mid winter and spring skiing.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakAaron View Post
    I want to get into cross country skiing, but don't know if it's going to be possible for me. I'm 6'7" and weigh approx 240 lbs. I've never seen a yeti ski before so I don't know if it's feasible for me to even try.

http://www.skipost.com/gettingstarted.htm would have me use this formula for picking my skis:
    (Your height in inches) x 2.6 + 25 inches = approximate ski length

This formula returns a length of 19.2 feet! Do they come in that size, and will I have to attach a red flag to them when transporting them on top of my car?
    My friend Nate who also works at Barney's is 6'5" and a VERY good and knowledgable cross country skier. I would call in at Barney's and ask for Nate. He skied in college and I know he skied some internationally. I would trust his word on the matter completely.

Brett