Thread: die cut advice

Question die cut advice

Oh knowledgeable nimrods, a couple questions. (1) Can a standard die be cut with the same reamer that cuts an Ackley chamber? (2) If one is only going to neck size, can the die be drilled out a few thousands over the case dimensions? Or is the die to hard or brittle to feasibly do this? The reason for asking is that hunting season is getting close and I can't get an answer from the die company that I'm even going to get my die set, so becoming a little desperate, and it leads to desperate thinking, even if it's somewhat irrational.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    (1) Can a standard die be cut with the same reamer that cuts an Ackley chamber?
    Yes BUT . . . not without annealing the die before and heat treating it after. Also the die would likely be sticky due to poor surface polish inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    (2) If one is only going to neck size, can the die be drilled out a few thousands over the case dimensions? Or is the die to hard or brittle to feasibly do this?
    The same stuff gets you here also, try to drill it and you will likely snap the bit off inside. Beside that drill bits are not nearly accurate enough to hold the size you are looking for close enough. It can be precision surface ground with the right equipment, but working on the small I/D like that takes some special equipment and tools.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Unhappy Figured as much

Thanks AD: I figured it would probably be a hassle and pretty involved...explains why one doesn't hear or read about it being done, at least not for the masses. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope for the best. Dang, I hate to order things that I really need and then be at the mercy of dealers.

And in addition, sizing dies are smaller in dia than the chamber, so if you cut a sizing die with a chamber reamer, it wouldn't size the case.

There are some options though if you're trying to avoid getting a custom reamer. You can get a generic bushing neck sizer body and an appropriate sizing collar for neck sizing.

What die are you looking for? I have a 35 whelen ackley sizing die in my misc spare die box.

Talking Hi Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    And in addition, sizing dies are smaller in dia than the chamber, so if you cut a sizing die with a chamber reamer, it wouldn't size the case.

There are some options though if you're trying to avoid getting a custom reamer. You can get a generic bushing neck sizer body and an appropriate sizing collar for neck sizing.

What die are you looking for? I have a 35 whelen ackley sizing die in my misc spare die box.
    I have, supposedly, a 348 Ackley improved die set on order, but it's been over 21/2 months, and I can't get an answer as to when. So I thought I'd see if anyone has a set they're not using and a neck sizer would work great, as I would only neck size anyway, then if a reamer cut larger, no problem. The sizing collar would work, but I haven't been able to find one, with extensive research, for .348. I've toyed with the idea of having a machinist thread some appropriate bar stock to fit my press and then have a hole cut into it the correct diameter for a neck sizer. That's feasible in my mind. but if I miss my window prior to hunting season, then it won't matter much for time. I still have two other standard 348's to use, so it's not like I won't be able to hunt with one. Thanks.

I don't know if they have them in stock, but you might want to check out their standard bushing neck sizer under their specialty dies. The 348 case might be too large in dia for that die though.

http://www.ch4d.com/

Measure the thickness of your case mouths, multiply that by 2 and then add that to .346" and that will be a good bushing dia to start with. If the brass has the .008" thick neck as shown on winchesters print http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-75Jan1918.jpg

then you'd want a 0.346" bushing to start with.

Talking

Thanks again Paul: The info you gave on CH is where I have my order, but thru another company. They have a phone # listed so I'll just give them a call and see what the skinny is.

I have not done this just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if you could go into the die with a carbide boring bar and open it up. I know they are hardened but they can't be that hard. All that would need to be done is open it up to the shoulder and then keep the die screwed out far enough to just neck size.

Of coarse since this is likely for a lever action neck sizing may not be the best idea.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I have not done this just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if you could go into the die with a carbide boring bar and open it up. I know they are hardened but they can't be that hard. All that would need to be done is open it up to the shoulder and then keep the die screwed out far enough to just neck size.

Of coarse since this is likely for a lever action neck sizing may not be the best idea.
    Yep, I hear ya. My thinking also. Not sure about the lever part, but that's a legit concern. I know fired cases will go in and extract easily, but who knows. Definitely want to make sure hunting rounds fit perfectly. IF I ever get my ordered dies, they are full length sizing, but I'd adjust it to neck size first and if that doesn't work, go full. Reminds me, I'm gonna call them this am. Thanks.

Unhappy just great!

I contacted CH die company and owner said he hasn't gotten an order from the company I ordered it from since March of this year...my order was put in in June, so no wonder the place I ordered it from won't communicate with me. I guess I have lost the time and now I'll just deal directly with the die company. Hopefully that will work.