Thread: North Slope Caribou Hunt

Default North Slope Caribou Hunt

Looking into hunting the North Slope for Caribou in October for the first time. Does anyone have some pointers or advice?

Luis

Dress warm, bring gas, food, and spare tires. Drive safe and be courteous to other drivers.

I'll second the drive safely statement. There is no longer much in the way of Emergency Services from Pump 4 to Deadhorse. As such, response to MVA's down the haul road is a courtesy service provided by BP's fire department out of Prudhoe Bay. We have seen an increase in vehicle accidents over the last few months and it takes extra time to respond down the haul road from Prudhoe.

Slow down, stay alert, stay awake........and wear your seatbelt!!!

Default N. Slope

I have found that around mid-october you will usually find a good number of bou from pump 4 to pump 2. Mostly around the pump 3 area. Try the area's on the west side of the round around ice cut and also just out of happy valley. Out of happy valley you will see a big antena on the west side of the road about a mile and a half or two miles out. There are usually some hanging out in that area. If it freezes up and you get a some snow they will be moving pretty good from the North to the south. Its hit and miss each year but in 4 straight years we have always gotten them during them time with relative little trouble. Both with bows and rifles. The 5 mile trek is tuff but doable. In my opinion its a lot easier in Oct to walk the 5 miles because the ground is frozen. Anyway good luck.

Default Thanks

Thanks, all of you have provided me with some intresting and useful information which I am sure will come in handy as I plan my hunt.

Luis

I think there is a lot of information if you search the archives on hunting 'bou up there in October. The first thing that comes to mind is that they are right in, or getting into, the rut. Most folks here have said that rutting caribou are at their bottom of their of things to eat because of the urine stench, so if you are going for a meat hunt, this is something you should consider.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

and plan more for cold cold cold and lots of company! it CAN be nice...but it USUALLY isnt!

Yeah, be careful about the meat. My October bull was edible, but definitely not great. A cow should be fine eating though (provided you're a resident. Non-residents are limited to bulls only). I was going to shoot either when I went up. Just so happened a bull (the one pictured in my avatar) was what I came across first. That said, my buddy shot another bull out of the same herd and said his meat was great.

Other advice: be prepared mentally and physically. It's not an easy hunt, especially if you're doing the rifle hunt 5 miles in. Be prepared and use your head. It's pretty easy to get into trouble up there. There are no services, no way to get warm other than what you bring with you, and few if any landmarks for navigation. Bring your GPS and keep it inside your jacket so the batteries don't die from the cold. Same with your water.

AND DON'T DRIVE ON THE TUNDRA!

Thumbs up shoot a cow...tastey

a good tent with heater...i do/did this same hunt for Many 9 (since 86'...use to drive by the guard and wave )years - 2 deg ..in the moring many a time..over whites / a sled etc ...get off the road and let the road huntes driv'em to yah...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......