Thread: Browning BAR 325 mag VS 338 mag

Default Browning BAR 325 mag VS 338 mag

I am looking at purchasing one of these rifles and was looking for info. on the pros and cons of each weapon.

Thanks

snowcat1964

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat1964 View Post
    I am looking at purchasing one of these rifles and was looking for info. on the pros and cons of each weapon.

Thanks

snowcat1964
    Okay....

338 Win Mag: Huge assortment of factory ammo available everywhere; wide variety of bullet configurations/weights for handloading; better penetration; higher Taylor K.O. value; time-tested and proven performance.

325WSM: Snazzy little design with lots of cool advertising and catch words.

If you were looking at an ultralight mountain rifle, the .325 might be worth considering as you can get a short action and save a bit of weight. As you're looking at a BAR, there's absolutely no advantage to the .325, and many shortcomings compared to the .338. Your mileage (and others) may vary

Shooting bigger bullets is what sets the 338 apart from the 300's. Figure the game you want to hunt and whether you need a 250 grain bullet. I don't see the need for the 325. This caliber will be like the 8mm in a few years and I'd hate to be looking for ammunition for one. The only folks I know that use the 325 are the gun writers in the magazines. If you don't plan on taking on world class brown bear you might want to check out the BAR in a 30-06. I hunt with a 338 and will be the first to admit I don't need the power. My wife's 06 BAR will kill a moose just as dead and is easier and cheaper to shoot. Everyone is a little different though. Must be why some folks are on the mountain with a 7mm-08 and the others are using the 375.