Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What knot do you use on hooks when fishing beads?

Default What knot do you use on hooks when fishing beads?

What knot do you use on the hook when fishing beads? Read something recently that suggested a conventional type of knot could make the hook ride funny and cause some missed strikes. Read where some guys use some type of snell knot to attach hooks when bead fishing. How do you do it? Thanks for any insights.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

In my opinion you read right, i like to use a snell knot because my hook up to land ratio is higher than with a conventional know such as an improved clinch. Convential knots can slide around the eye of the hook and make the hook ride crooked behind the bead while a snell is firly connected to the shank so the hook always rides true.

Default Snell

I too snell my bead hooks. I used to be a strictly Palomar knot guy, but for the bead fishing, I go with the snelled setup.

Default snell

In many fishing applications for many fish the snell is the best knot. Love it for most all times when a hook is used for bait or alone.

I snell mine. In fact, I snell a lot at one time and put them in a Mack's PIPS box. I bought them at Sportsmens. http://www.croutdoors.com/ml90700.html

I also add a nail knot to each leader before I put them in the box. Saves lots of time on the stream.

So, all of you snell knot guys. If you have staight eye hook do you snell?????

Not all situations can be fixed with one solution. JMO.

George

Default knots?

If you are looking for a quick way to tie a snell knot or any not for fishing just go to youtube they show you everything you need to know. and it is free.

Uni-knot snell + hard leader material + appopriate hook = unbeatable combo.

No such thing as a straight-eye hook in my arsenal, just Owner mosquito, Owner ssw, VMC octopus, and Vision octopus.

Awhile back I fished 2 runs of a very productive creek. Same setup for both, with the exception of standard knot to the hook in the first one, snelled hook in the second one.

3X more positive hookups with the snell vs the tie. Logically, it made sense, but now I had empirical evidence that the lined-up hook made a lot of difference.

YMMV.

george

I don't use a snell with a straight eye. Actually since a snell is fixed to the shank of the hook the eye whether it be upturned or downturned is irrellevant. I know what your getting at because with a conventional knot and a upturned eye the hook rides crooked so straight eyes are much better with conventional knots. Once again with a snell every hook is like a straight eye because it's attached to the shank and they eye plays no part.

Like g-smolt i've done some testing on a lot of rivers for rainbows and steel and have come to the same conclusing, snell knot results in more positive hook ups hands down

Good info guys. I do appreciate it. Glad I asked this question. Snell it is
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default No straight eyes

I don't carry any straight eyes for bead fishing either. It does make sense though that the snell wouldn't be the ideal "straight pull" setup as with a upturned or downturned eye. Good information here, thanks for sharing.

I'm to lazy for a snell and I've never noticed not hooking fish that hit, I use hooks with strait eyes. I do lose a lot of smaller fish however, guess that could be the knot, but I don't really care enough to find out.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ok, newbie here to fly fishing. How do you snell a fly that's already been tied?

Or do you snell it, then tie the fly?

Sorry for the newbish question.

DP

What these folks are suggesting is snelling a bare hook. That bare hook is located 1-2" from the bead, which is affixed to the end of the leader with a toothpick. This snelling info is specific to bead fishing. Alaska's match the hatch if you will. Immitates salmon eggs in the stream.

Read this...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-Truth.html

And this (scroll down to "Making a pegged trout bead set up")....

http://www.troutbeads.com/How_To.html

The uni-knot snell suggested by G Smolt up top is quite easy to tie. Been practicing it lately myself.

http://www.thunderboltcharters.com/uni1.htm

Welcome to the forum

Default Talk to Brad

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html I love my g3s bootfit and muckboot Brad and the boys are straight shooters. They won't do you wrong...DB

Default Woops

Sorry wrong thread. See g3s

Default danny boy

Dan, you dont listen to any of this mumbo jumbo, this is ridiculous. Why would a fisherman in his right mind take all this extra time to tie a snell with a bead? a yarn fly sure. But for a bead Gentlemen? Cmon now. I bet these guys that are tying snells have not delt with any decent tangle ups, (where sometimes, you just have to cut the line in the best hole) otherwise theyd be in a hurry to get back in there! i've never had my line snap because of the knot at my hook. double cinch knot i think is what its called? im not sure. try and make sure to know, your tripple surgeons knot, loop knot, leader knot, and if you have any other questions.Get with when you get here and we'll show you whats up the first day. ill see you the 14th, i think you said in the other thread? ill be down there the 11th. Just bring some 10 lb fc super snipe.... if you can find any1 that carries it.
    Go Fish

Thanks man. I am up to trying any suggestions and my mind is wide open. Always eager to see how other folks do things. Brand new to this bead fishing more or less and hoping to hone my skills in Sept. We will be there around 8 pm on Tue Sept 15 and will be around till Sept 24. Looking forward to meeting you and others.

Default bead hooks

Hey Dan,
    Have you bought bead hooks already? I used to use Tiemco 2457, which are a down turned eye. I was having the same problem of them not riding strait behind the bead. After talking to Mike at Mt. View, I switched over to the Gami bead hooks with a strait eye. I have fished them 6 days in the last two weeks, and will never use any other hook. A normal clinch knot works just fin, and is a lot faster than a snell knot for me.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    Dan, you dont listen to any of this mumbo jumbo, this is ridiculous. Why would a fisherman in his right mind take all this extra time to tie a snell with a bead? a yarn fly sure. But for a bead Gentlemen? Cmon now. I bet these guys that are tying snells have not delt with any decent tangle ups, (where sometimes, you just have to cut the line in the best hole) otherwise theyd be in a hurry to get back in there! i've never had my line snap because of the knot at my hook. double cinch knot i think is what its called? im not sure. try and make sure to know, your tripple surgeons knot, loop knot, leader knot, and if you have any other questions.Get with when you get here and we'll show you whats up the first day. ill see you the 14th, i think you said in the other thread? ill be down there the 11th. Just bring some 10 lb fc super snipe.... if you can find any1 that carries it.
    I've had plenty of tangle ups an i can tie a snell pretty fast. Plus like some others I pre snell lots of hooks before i hit the water so i'm not tying any on the water. That way i'll be back in the game faster than tying any knot even an improved clinch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast