Thread: Craig report

Default Craig report

I know how much I love reading reports on this board and drooling over the pictures so itís my turn to contribute. We fished Craig, AK for three days with Rob Endsley and Prince of Wales Sportfishing. All I can say is it was great. Capt. Rob has a first class charter operation. Top notch equipment, shimano reels, lamglass rods, North river boat with plenty of room, and best of all a charter captain who knows the waters, loves to fish, and truly loves getting his clients into fish.

The first day we started out fishing for silvers. Fish werenít jumping in the boat but it was steady and we got our limit with plenty of time to go after halibut and get a limit of good size eaters. There was a lot of chatter on the radio and several boats were talking about tough fishing. The second day we were given a choice. The weather was great and we decided to take a longer run ďoutsideĒ and try for some bigger halibut first off. It was a great decision. On my first drop with a Scampi jig I hooked an over size ling that we carefully released. We hadnít been at it for more than about 20 min. when the other fellow on the boat with my wife and I, Robert from Seattle, who was working a pipe jig hooked up solid. Robert fished with us last year and is just a great guy. We couldnít have had better company. After about a 20 min. or so tug of war with several runs, Capt. Rob put the harpoon in a 115# Butt.

This spot had a little of everything. We caught ling, yellow eye, and halibut of all sizes. I got tired of pumping a jig and went with a salmon head to take a break. It didnít take long and my break was over! I was into a big butt. I had never hooked up with anything over 50-60 #ís before. This was different. After a battle with my arms and back starting to burn a little, the harpoon came out again and we stuck my personal best, a 125 # butt. It was only about another 20-30 minutes when my wife got into the action and started reeling up what we thought was just a decent halibut to finish up when we saw that it was no chicken. She boated a 53# butt to finish our SE limit of one and we wrapped it up to head in and get a few silvers to finish out a memorable day.

Our last day we had four on the boat and tried a different area for silvers and it started out great with 5 in the first 15-20 minutes. We then started picking through pinks and missed hits and an occasional silver for about an hour and a half. All of a sudden we got into the middle of a school of silvers and had 4 on a time twice and several doubles to finish our limit by 10:00 and head for some eater size halibut. That didnít take long and we spent some time whale watching and picture taking to end our trip on a high note.

Here are some pictures. I have some video I'll post later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    I know how much I love reading reports on this board and drooling over the pictures so itís my turn to contribute. We fished Craig, AK for three days with Rob Endsley and Prince of Wales Sportfishing. All I can say is it was great. Capt. Rob has a first class charter operation. Top notch equipment, shimano reels, lamglass rods, North river boat with plenty of room, and best of all a charter captain who knows the waters, loves to fish, and truly loves getting his clients into fish.

The first day we started out fishing for silvers. Fish werenít jumping in the boat but it was steady and we got our limit with plenty of time to go after halibut and get a limit of good size eaters. There was a lot of chatter on the radio and several boats were talking about tough fishing. The second day we were given a choice. The weather was great and we decided to take a longer run ďoutsideĒ and try for some bigger halibut first off. It was a great decision. On my first drop with a Scampi jig I hooked an over size ling that we carefully released. We hadnít been at it for more than about 20 min. when the other fellow on the boat with my wife and I, Robert from Seattle, who was working a pipe jig hooked up solid. Robert fished with us last year and is just a great guy. We couldnít have had better company. After about a 20 min. or so tug of war with several runs, Capt. Rob put the harpoon in a 115# Butt.

This spot had a little of everything. We caught ling, yellow eye, and halibut of all sizes. I got tired of pumping a jig and went with a salmon head to take a break. It didnít take long and my break was over! I was into a big butt. I had never hooked up with anything over 50-60 #ís before. This was different. After a battle with my arms and back starting to burn a little, the harpoon came out again and we stuck my personal best, a 125 # butt. It was only about another 20-30 minutes when my wife got into the action and started reeling up what we thought was just a decent halibut to finish up when we saw that it was no chicken. She boated a 53# butt to finish our SE limit of one and we wrapped it up to head in and get a few silvers to finish out a memorable day.

Our last day we had four on the boat and tried a different area for silvers and it started out great with 5 in the first 15-20 minutes. We then started picking through pinks and missed hits and an occasional silver for about an hour and a half. All of a sudden we got into the middle of a school of silvers and had 4 on a time twice and several doubles to finish our limit by 10:00 and head for some eater size halibut. That didnít take long and we spent some time whale watching and picture taking to end our trip on a high note.

Here are some pictures. I have some video I'll post later.

Looks like a great trip. Rob is good people and runs a great outfit. Did you get a chance to watch Tim work his magic on cleaning halibut? That guy is something else.....