Thread: Griz Scat

Default Griz Scat

While Scouting today I found a patch of berries in a logging cut, along with the berries I found bear scat all over the place, was wondering if anyone had a name for the berry the were in clusters the size of a golf ball, bright red and shiny skin. Kinda looks like sockeye eggs? Just moved into the area and I have not learned all of the fauna yet, I figured It may be wise to set up above the berry patch this fall and see what comes in. When do bears feed in patches normally evening?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onehook View Post
    While Scouting today I found a patch of berries in a logging cut, along with the berries I found bear scat all over the place, was wondering if anyone had a name for the berry the were in clusters the size of a golf ball, bright red and shiny skin. Kinda looks like sockeye eggs? Just moved into the area and I have not learned all of the fauna yet, I figured It may be wise to set up above the berry patch this fall and see what comes in. When do bears feed in patches normally evening?
    Never seen what you describe. The easiest way to tell Grizz Scat is by seperating it and sniffing it. It often has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Best time for taking bears on berries is now through October, all day long, likely to see them anytime of day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Did a little more research the appear to be Mt. Ash berries or High Bush Cranberries. I will have to take a closer look next time to see what the foliage looks like, but they were in a logging cut and very abundant.

Sounds Like your describing Salmon Berry, Rubus spectabilis.

If you go to

http://markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm

The Russian River Part 1, at about 2:32 we dedicate a bit of time just to Bear Scat.