Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Griz Scat

  1. #1

    Default Griz Scat

    While Scouting today I found a patch of berries in a logging cut, along with the berries I found bear scat all over the place, was wondering if anyone had a name for the berry the were in clusters the size of a golf ball, bright red and shiny skin. Kinda looks like sockeye eggs? Just moved into the area and I have not learned all of the fauna yet, I figured It may be wise to set up above the berry patch this fall and see what comes in. When do bears feed in patches normally evening?

  2. #2

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by onehook View Post
    While Scouting today I found a patch of berries in a logging cut, along with the berries I found bear scat all over the place, was wondering if anyone had a name for the berry the were in clusters the size of a golf ball, bright red and shiny skin. Kinda looks like sockeye eggs? Just moved into the area and I have not learned all of the fauna yet, I figured It may be wise to set up above the berry patch this fall and see what comes in. When do bears feed in patches normally evening?
    Never seen what you describe. The easiest way to tell Grizz Scat is by seperating it and sniffing it. It often has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

    Best time for taking bears on berries is now through October, all day long, likely to see them anytime of day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    Did a little more research the appear to be Mt. Ash berries or High Bush Cranberries. I will have to take a closer look next time to see what the foliage looks like, but they were in a logging cut and very abundant.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Skagway
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Sounds Like your describing Salmon Berry, Rubus spectabilis.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hartford Michigan
    Posts
    440

    Default

    If you go to

    http://markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm

    The Russian River Part 1, at about 2:32 we dedicate a bit of time just to Bear Scat.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •