Thread: Oh, yeah

Default Oh, yeah

I forgot how good an older Smith & Wesson feels and functions. Saw this Model 28 from around 1960-61 on the swap/sell forum and judging from how it looked in the photos shown, it was in nice shape. I was surprized when it didn't sell right away, but it didn't, so, I sold another gun, contacted the man and drove down to Soldotna to take possession. A good move. Very fine condition, 4 screw large frame Smith. I've been fondling the thing for a couple days, being reminded how nicely an old large frame functions. Yeah, the newer handguns from S&W are advanced in metallurgy and all, but this is a fine old revolver, well balanced for it's size, in great shape. The pinned barrel and recessed chambers may not really be necessary, but they are a part of the workmanship that used to exist. Kind of like the difference between a pre-64 and post 64 Winchester. They all function just fine, but there is that innate "feel" to the older piece. Only trouble is, it's too **** nice to bang around in the bush with. But, maybe I can get over that. Too bad the grips aren't original, but they are factory at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default How 'bout That!

The store owner hired a new guy awhile back, full of the 'black gun bug'. Silencers, Glocks, selective fire stuff.....ordered in a fortune's worth of 'wonder guns'. The stuff is sitting around like cheese in the colon, when last week, I was perusing J&G Sales' pages and noticed S&W Model 64 .38 special revolvers, the six shot, K frame, stainless guns with fixed sights, four inch heavy barrels...ordered three of 'em in, and sold them before I had a chance to put them in the case. Really. Was logging them into the book, and customers picked 'em up and asked for the forms. We just received four more in this AM's freight. Before lunch, two more were gone. Them 'old' Smith's sure feel and work good, don't they? Almost begs the question why they thought they needed to 'improve' their product line, don't it?

Default Indeed

I guess that word "improvement" is a very relative thing, but the term "all steel" has a very definite ring to it....
    Course now, I have to get another .44 to replace the one I cashed in to get this old horse pistol. Fair enough.

Warren, if the old finish or it's collector's value isn't part of the Smith's allure for you, you could get it hard chromed or something. Then you could drag it through the Bush all you liked!

I have two older S&W Model 17's that are a work of art. I would sure like to see if the "NEW" reintroduced "Classic" M-17 is just as perfect.

Default Keep your eyes open!

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Too bad the grips aren't original, but they are factory at least.
    I spotted two sets of diamond 'Magna' grip sets, marked for a "K" frame at a small gun show. Well, they weren't and rather than argue with the guy, I snapped them up. Perfect for my old .38-44 Heavy Duty and my five screw Highway Patrolman. Let me get rid of the Pachmayr's that were on 'em.
    Ya just never know what'll turn up! Never ignore the piles of 'stuff' on the smaller tables at gun shows, and flat out ask the old gunsmiths and shops if they have any take off grips hidden away........

Default Change finish - NOT!

.338-06,

Though I am hesitant to go trailing with the 28, I definitely won't change the original finish, which is in beautiful condition. If and when the finish goes south, then I'd get it changed. I have always felt that an honest worn finish on a gun is pure history, barring rust and pitting from lack of care.
    Follow Up:
    Took the Smith apart to clean and check out the lockworks. They are in very clean superb condition with almost no sign of wear surfaces. A little oil and it is excellent. Always liked the S&W hand ejector mechanism for the functionality. Colt handguns, especially the Python and other Officer's Model variations were too finely fitted and more prone to "going off" such as timing. But Smiths were more easily fitted with necessary new parts with, usually, minor fitting. The cylinder has a little more play then expected, but timing is very closely set, so all's well. After several hundred rounds, I will see how the action has smoothed out and might do a basic action job. Funtime in the best state of the union!