Thread: cramming for exams

Default cramming for exams

I've been busy all summer. While I have not avoided training my little female lab, I have neglected aspects of her training. Most of her retrieving work has been simply hand thrown marks.
    We have worked on land and water singles, and land doubles. She does love the work, and I love to watch her. Now I feel pressed to get some work in with her prior to Sept. I won't forget that where we are is where we are. No fair pushing her at this point.
    I've been out 2 times now with a friend. We've been able to extend a line through 2' high brush to a mark in lunging water. Really, for only 2 days at it, I am pretty excited. We've gone out as far as 80 or 90 yards successfully.
    The first night, she just did not pick up on the thrower every time. Seemed she was looking around for the echo from the blank .22. Last night I could hardly get her to look anywhere else other than the thrower. In 2 days she knows where he is, and what he will do.
    I changed things up a bit last night. After extending her, I shortened up the mark to roughly 50yd. Normally I have the thrower shoot/throw. This time I had him throw/shoot. The change did not phase her so we backed up again.
    After that we shortened her up, and I introduced a hand thrown mark off to my right as a single. She ate it up. Then we ran a double with the long mark being memory. She did ok. The only thing I would have done different is to have made my hand thrown double to my left so that I could use my body to help block her from leaning towards the long mark.
    After 2 nights, repeating the same marks, I know we are nowhere near having a hunting dog. It does feel good to get out and do some work with her though. We'll try the same mark tonight, but we'll start at about 70 yards, and then move back a bit further. Providing that goes well, we'll set up a new mark in a different setting and shorten her up to help her be successful.
    So what are you doing with your dog at the moment?

My personal dogs. Absolutely nothing !!!
    I've been running so many test this year. I do believe I burnt them out. I'm just going to let them rest and pick one to take over for the opener.

Client dogs.......training as usual. Most are going out or have already left for hunting season.

Glad to hear you're out with your pup. I was up in Fairbanks several times this summer. Was hoping to see you at one of the retriever events.

Take Care

Default same marks, same concepts

Well, we've made it out 4 times now. Not a lot, but better than staying home. We have repeated the same mark for 3 nights. We ended up starting at 60 yards or so, and extending to just over 100 yards. We then added a hand thrown double.
    Last night we set up a new mark. Same concept. Flat ground, knee high brush, grass, water, and the mark is in open water at the end. Today we repeated it. I started her at 75 yards, we finished 3 marks and extended her to 125 yards and threw in a hand thrown double at the end. She is eating them up.
    We set up a new mark today, same concept again, but this time we added in a bit of a bump. It made the mark look like it was landing short. We started at 40 to 50 yards, and extended to 75. She nailed it. So we added in a single to our right, across lunging/swimming water. Then we ran it all as a double. The big difference was the thrower on the long mark was hidden by trees. She could not see the bumper until it was well in flight, and then he shot the blank gun.
    She picked up my bumper off the pond first, and when she returned, she locked onto the long mark. I made sure, then sent her. She went 20' and acted lost. I recalled her, lined her up, and she kept her head locked on. I noted her ears were cocked better/differently. I sent her on the memory bird and she nailed it. YAHOO.
    My mistake was that I should have run the memory mark as a hidden gun or "retired" gun first. Then we should have put the double together. I missed a step. We made it through ok, but I have to watch the building process a bit better.
    I like repeating the same marks, and concepts, numerous times. I feel it builds confidence. In this case, we are getting a good splash off of the lunging water with the bumper, and the area the mark falls into is pretty much wide open. The dogs can see the bumpers easily when they get to the area of the fall.

ARR,

Was that you making all that racket behind the airport last night & distracting my dog??? We did a couple lining/handling drills, added some marks to the mix, and went for a walk.

Karen

Default not last night

Kurt and his daughter brought me lunch. We managed to set up an run 2 different marks.
    I was trying to get back out last night for a second go, but had other work beckoning. Friends come in tonight, so am out of luck for a few days.
    Maybe I'll call you so we can go throw a couple of singles. That will be like the folks from Woodstock reuniting.