Thread: Anyone going bird hunting Saturday?

Default Anyone going bird hunting Saturday?

Looks like the boys want to stay around town and hunt birds (cause they get to ride the 4 wheelers) and go to the movies also, so Now I'll be around town or the area hunitng birds. Anyone else going out or looking for a day hunting partner?

You still hunting with dogs for Grouse? I usually always go out with myself and the dog...

Default you bet!!

Been grouse hunting every chance I get from the 11th till now. My dog and I have been pretty successful this year. It is really great to see just how much your dog improves year after year. Watching her hunt and flush birds is more rewarding than actually shooting them.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    You still hunting with dogs for Grouse? I usually always go out with myself and the dog...
    Yep. Im still hunting with the dogs, and Like Arky I get out every chance I get.

Default 1st day out for me...

Was a success...4 wheeled up above timber.
    The first group was less than 5 minutes from parking.
    We saw several family groups and Took a couple birds out of each flock we found, left the rest for seed!

2nd day I took the Chessie out for grouse and I got stung by a hornet...had to call it a day since I am allergic.
    I have seen a lot of hornet ground nest this season while archery hunting for moose and yesterday...(luckily only been stung once)...seems to me higher activity than I have seen before. Am I just lucky or is it a high year for ground nest hornets?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Been more hornets this year than the last couple from what Ive seen also. I havent been stung yet, guess its cause I run faster. Dude did you head out alone on the bird hunt? I was out last week looking for some Ptarmies but the weather was bad and turned worse on us.

When are you headed out again? Daniel

Default Hopefully this weekend

I have to be at the Arctic Bird Dog Pheasant Hunt this weekend but hope to get out after the event is done each day. Might not have enough time to get in the mountains, so may be chasing grouse. Dogs don't care as long as it smells right !

Saturday weather was sunny and hot down this way...Sunday was drizzly.

I think I got stung because I was healing my dog around a porcupine and didn't notice the hornets till it was too late. I thought I was going to get away sting free but about 10 yards past the nest I got hit. I figure I was lucky to only get hit once.

All these dog posts are making me crazy. I got dog fever bad!! I guess I'll just have to keep tooling around in the woods with my buddies looking for grouse without the help of mans best friend.

Jeremiah

Default birds & bees

Burke,
    I was out in your general area on Sat. morning looking for grouse. For some reason the woods were awful quiet & we didn't see a single one, but it was still a great morning to be out.
    Luckily I'm not allergic to wasp/bees as I have managed to get stung twice this month & the dog once. Couple weeks back we were walking the creek bank & before I know it the dog is back pedaling shaking here head & running for the water. I didn't even take another step & one got me right on the hand.
    Saw a big nest on Saturday while hunting & thought about taking it out with the shotgun but feared they might be some still around that would make out so we just went around it.
    Might have to find some new areas to try this weekend.

Yeah, the warmer the season, more and larger wasp nests abound. I haven't run into that many myself so I was surprised to hear about the activity. Burke, are you carrying the pooch in that keenel on the back of the wheeler?

Burke I have to laugh cause I haul my dogs ina kennel just like you do hahahahaha!

jeremiah dont fret none most time they arent helping me much as I have to spot the birds first.My dogs aint pointers, but they sure do like fetching them back to me

Oats - I do carry the dog in the crate....this time of year when the birds are higher up. I still had to hike about 8 miles round trip to find the birds.

One warning.
    I learned the hard way that the hitch racks they make can be dangerous! I tried it once and the exhaust got to my dog. I had him in a crate, covered and strapped to the hitch rack. The cover might have been a bad idea, but it was colder and raining that day. It was the first time I tried it and I am glad I checked on him frequently as I traveled. I stopped and he was getting loopy from carbon monoxide. It was scary!
    I wont use it again unless I can re-route the exhaust.

Daniel- what flavor dogs? Do they flush the birds?

Default warm bees

I have heard the warmer weather is good news for the bees and hornets...we did have the warmth this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Daniel- what flavor dogs? Do they flush the birds?

Dude they only flush as there running up to them.Thats why I gotta try and keep them close to me.Altho its fun to see a bird sitting along the side of the road and heal one of the dogs and as we walk towards it watch how she gets all excited when she finally spots it.

I'm headed to Delta from Anchorage and points in between. I'm taking my 4 year old Drahthaar and my six month old Chesapeake. My son got called up so I'm also taking his six month old Drahthaar. It should be a interesting but fun trip. I have a Polaris 6X6 that I have two kennels mounted above the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Chessie View Post
    I'm headed to Delta from Anchorage and points in between. I'm taking my 4 year old Drahthaar and my six month old Chesapeake. My son got called up so I'm also taking his six month old Drahthaar. It should be a interesting but fun trip. I have a Polaris 6X6 that I have two kennels mounted above the box.
    Cant wait to see the pictures and the birds. Good Luck to you all.