Thread: Caribou hunting the haul road

Default Caribou hunting the haul road

i leave in a week for hunting the haul road. this is the first year i have done this hunt and am not really sure on where to go. if anyone has a good place and wants to share or anyone has a idea of where to go it would be greatly appreciated. send me an email or a message. thanks for all you help.

search function.

But...they are where you find them. Seriously.

There are Caribou as far south as Finger Mountain but you generally won't start seeing them until you are well north of Atigun Pass. Start looking when you get near the Galbraith Lake airport. You can see animals, literally, anywhere along the road from there all the way to Prudhoe.

Your best bet is to burn a day scouting. Where you find them at first light today is probably where they'll be at first light tomorrow.

Get well off the road early, find some sort of cover and wait for first light. If you try and chase caribou you can see you are wasting your time--usually.

Be patient and do not park in the roadway.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    i leave in a week for hunting the haul road. this is the first year i have done this hunt and am not really sure on where to go. if anyone has a good place and wants to share or anyone has a idea of where to go it would be greatly appreciated. send me an email or a message. thanks for all you help.
    where to go?

drive north... when you get to the arctic( keep diriving 4-6 more hours) look for everyone else...

find your own camping spot

wait for bou near road (make sure neighbor is not stalking them already)or start walking...

if you drive to far..you will see a sign... says no hunting welcome to deadhorse.. arctic ocean access by permit only..

take fuel
    take food
    take clothes
    Take CB radio.. search form for threads on traviling haul rd.
    take tires
    have fun dont get stuck in a caribou costume
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince... lol thats short sweet and to the point. Your a riot dude.

Default thanks

thanks to all for your help, vince i got that by just wanting to go up north. but thanks, lol. i was told to go all the way to the sag and get off the road there and wait. anyone else think the same thing or do i even need to go that far? also i want to walk in a little and get away from others. what do you all think?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    thanks to all for your help, vince i got that by just wanting to go up north. but thanks, lol. i was told to go all the way to the sag and get off the road there and wait. anyone else think the same thing or do i even need to go that far? also i want to walk in a little and get away from others. what do you all think?
    that about covers it... your on your way.. remember spare tires.. you never know you may not need any you may need them all..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here