A non-restricted firearm is:
- An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below
as being restricted or prohibited.
A restricted firearm is:
- A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
- A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than
470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
- A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by
folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26
- Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).
A prohibited firearm is:
- A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
- A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26
inches) in overall length.
- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than
457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26
inches) or more.
- An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
- Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.