Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to move....

Question Cheapest way to move....

I currently live in Ohio and my future wife and I are looking to move up to Alaska once I land my career up there. We looked at renting a truck, or possibly just getting a POD and shipping that up while we fly. Price wise, in a ball park figure, what are we looking at? Need also to ship up firearms and ammo that I have already and would be way more expensive to sell off and replace. Thanks!

Don't sell the guns, you always loose money on a firearm sale, at least I always have. Ship them with your stuff or mail them to your self. For pistols you will need to ship through someone with an FFL. I am not sure but for a household a conex is probably the cheapest. Filled it should cost somewhere in the 6-10,000 dollar range.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

The two times I did it I just brought what would fit in the pick-up with camper shell and started over when I got here. There are enough rumage and garage sales that it will take no time at all to fill another house full of stuff you will never use plus stuff you will.

We found that renting a u-haul trailer and towing it up was by far cheaper than anything else. The 6X12 trailer was only like 500 bucks for 2 weeks. We could have saved more if we would have camped along the way but the weather was pretty nasty and spending the night in wet tent after 12 hours of driving didn't sound to great.

I drove up and left my family in CA until i can get a permanent job. I've been looking at this too... We are going to do the trailer thing. They are SMALL trailers, but for the truck rental and gas, this will be a good savings. Guns are the issue for me. I brought 3 up when I drove up in the honda... Customs emptied my car, i'm sure it was because of the guns. I figure I'll still bring my rifles up when we drive up... shipping would cost a small fortune. Still gonna have to ship the handguns up.

It's been close to 10 years, but when I moved from AK to VT I shipped 6 pallets yellow freight at less than a $1 per pound. Pallets were in VT before we were.

Had bad luck with a Uhaul trailer moving up in the 90s. Popped a tire near Watson lake and had to drop the trailer and come back 2 weeks later. Blew another one near Glennallen and had to wait another week for another tire. Not fun.

Planning to move back again in the next few months (if this job comes thru) and not sure what to do this time. May ship some and haul the rest in my own enclosed trailer. Got a truck that can handle it now.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWood View Post
    It's been close to 10 years, but when I moved from AK to VT I shipped 6 pallets yellow freight at less than a $1 per pound. Pallets were in VT before we were.

Had bad luck with a Uhaul trailer moving up in the 90s. Popped a tire near Watson lake and had to drop the trailer and come back 2 weeks later. Blew another one near Glennallen and had to wait another week for another tire. Not fun.

Planning to move back again in the next few months (if this job comes thru) and not sure what to do this time. May ship some and haul the rest in my own enclosed trailer. Got a truck that can handle it now.
    That sounds like a great plan. I already was thinking of shipping up a pallet with all my ammo anyway. My fiancee and I really have no furniture, just clothes, outdoor gear and her craft items she sells and the supplies. Be a pain to palletise all that though, POD or something would be the easiest and fly up to meet it.

Default POD System in Alaska ???

I don't think we have the POD system in Alaska yet? I found that you have to evaluate the cost of moving versus the cost of replacing it here in Alaska. I think once you do that you will find that shipping used furniture, pots, pans, dishes etc to Alaska is not really economical. After that all you have in small items that can be mailed and insured. Something to think about. Prices in Alaska now are very close to Seattle on many items.
    Many of the items in the Costco store in Anchorage are the same price as they are in the Tumwater Wa store (and they add taxes there) - exception is the fresh fruit and vegetables.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Ya my wife and I really paired things down to fit it in the trailer but we have been able to pick everything up for less than the cost of a moving company. We were very fortunate in that our company paid us a lump sum to move up. We chose the diy route so we could use the extra cash to buy new stuff. Not having any spares for the u-haul adds to the pucker factor but the road really is not that bad. If we were to do it again I would do it the same way.

Default Moving up

We moved up in 07 and hauled a 20' trailer with 20+ guns and had all the paper work ready on the guns when they ask at custom. They did not even ask to see them much less ask to see in the trailer.
    They asked about hand guns and i shipped them and i provided recepts for them and they asked me to do some paper work and sent me on my way. Do not come up without spare tires for the car or trailer, i have blown out good tires on every trip down so far.
    If you have all your ducks in a row when you pull to the gate and dont fumble with questions you will not have any problems.
    Good luck.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Moving guns

When I first came up I left all my guns home. After I was settled I flew home on Alaska Air and brought back 6 rifles and 2 hand guns on Alaska Air. Easy as pie. That's the best way to ship firearms if you ask me. The person flying with them doesn't even have to own them. When my girl friend came up the first time she brought my new shot gun with her. Alaska Air's rules:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...latedItems.asp

byrd

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    We moved up in 07 and hauled a 20' trailer with 20+ guns and had all the paper work ready on the guns when they ask at custom. They did not even ask to see them much less ask to see in the trailer.
    They asked about hand guns and i shipped them and i provided recepts for them and they asked me to do some paper work and sent me on my way. Do not come up without spare tires for the car or trailer, i have blown out good tires on every trip down so far.
    If you have all your ducks in a row when you pull to the gate and dont fumble with questions you will not have any problems.
    Good luck.
    What kind of long guns are allowed during a move through Canada to Alaska? I have a bunch of semi-autos...

Most of the info you need to bring guns through Canada are on this page or in this form.

From the form, here are the basic rules:

Firearm Definitions

A non-restricted firearm is:
    - An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below
    as being restricted or prohibited.

A restricted firearm is:
    - A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
    - A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than
    470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
    - A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by
    folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26
    inches).
    - Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

A prohibited firearm is:
    - A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
    - A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
    - A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26
    inches) in overall length.
    - A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than
    457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26
    inches) or more.
    - An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
    - Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

I'd suggest watching the overall length on long guns. I have a few that appear to be in the restricted category.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Most of the info you need to bring guns through Canada are on this page or in this form.

From the form, here are the basic rules:

I'd suggest watching the overall length on long guns. I have a few that appear to be in the restricted category.
    Looks like a 16" barreled rifle would be a no-no, like a standard Ruger 10/22...

I brought my 10/22 without issue. I don't know if you could bring in an AR but all of my guns were fine. I also believe you can bring in handguns with certain restrictions if you file special forms.

I did it a cheap way. I had uncle sam move me up and I stayed.

One idea is to look on craigslist. A buddy of mine move from Tok to idaho a couple of years ago and he found a semi heading south empty. The guy gave him a day to fill the 44ft trailer. He shipped everything (including vehicles) for around 6K.

Since the semi was gonna beat him south he rented a storage unit in idaho and luckily he had family there to unload for him.

Sometimes you can get lucky.

Blink made a good point there. I actually had an opportunity to purchase a trailer down south and then sell here in Anch at a profit that would have offset some of my moving costs. Problem was I didn't have enough cash to buy the trailer at the time.

Was right at $8200 for gas, U Haul Rental, Car Carrier Rental, and towing a 28 ft trailer behind my pickup from NY to Anchorage in 2006 gas was close then to the price now... I had over 17,000lbs of house hold goods. Hotels and food not included in this price. 17,000lbs of stuff is a lot.

I'm thinking of buying one of those shipping boxes that look like a small shed with metal rollers on the bottom, I am told they go for like $500. Then when I have it shipped, I can use it later as a shed on my property, problem is I have to get property first! hmmm

Lots of guys buy enclosed sled trailers dirt cheap down in the states, tow them up and sell them locally and get pretty much all of their cash back. The rear drop down door w/ the angled front drive out door and side man door is the best one to sell on this end as that is pretty much what everyone is looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast