Thread: On the Cheap: value raingear-FroggToggs Wading Jacket

Default On the Cheap: value raingear-FroggToggs Wading Jacket

At $150 from Sixth Avenue Outfitters, they seemed to be well-made.
    Two in our group used these wading jackets on a 9-day remote float trip which began in intermittent blowing rain that lasted all day then tapered over 3 days or so. I asked them about performance with results below. In general, all current breathable/waterproof (B/W) fabrics seem to degrade after several seasons, and it remains to be seen how these hold up, but this jacket looks like a good value. We're going put some river days on them and see how they do.

Grade: "A", so far on the primary task of keeping the wearer dry. We didn't hike or do a lot of sweating in these, so no comment on the breathability, but good value with performance comparable to jackets in the $200-$400 range so far.

Features: Features I like: 1). bill on the visor - keeps rain off the face (glasses), 2) Hood snugs down with stretch cord and lock, 3). Good weather seal at the neck. 4). Good weather closure zipper - uses overlapping storm flap but worked well, 5). Adequate pockets (none are large), 6) Weather seal zippers on the 4 chest pockets, 7). Neoprene/velcro on cuffs for weather/water seal.

No real shortcomings. Good looking jackets too. I'm curious to see how they hold up and others' comments. We'll see, but promising so far.

Thumbs down Mine was a piece of junk

I bought a camo version of the Frogg Togg suit. The suit is made overseas so their version of a man's xlarge is not what a typical USA man's size would be. My XL was tight and kinda odd fitting to begin with. It has laid in a storage bin in my camper as an emeregency jacket for one of the kids. It feels like wearing a tyvek coverall...similar material...just feels weird.

Default That too...

I've seen those at B&J in Anchorage. The wading jacket is heavier stuff.

Meantime, I talked to someone who had these wading jackets and reported getting a little wet at the shoulder seams.