Thread: Douglas island

Question Douglas island

Anybody get a deer yet?

Put down a nice fat forkey a week and a half ago

Smile Nice

Im hiking up in the dark saturday morn. to my fav. bowl and give it a shot.

I went with a friend last Friday and he got a nice fork...so they are out there..

Default 2x fork

So am I the only one still hunting? Got these guys on Saturday evening in the fog. One of them spotted me as I came into the meadow at 40 yards, then went back to feeding/sparring with the other one. Sat down and took one when he stopped sparring...then took the other as he just stood there. Made for a long pack back...about 150lbs, including pack

Last edited by Dr.No; 09-15-2009 at 00:03. Reason: spelling, forgot to add pic

Looks like lots of good eating throught the winter,for sure a break from salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    So am I the only one still hunting?
    August and November for me anymore and I had to skip August this year.

Sept and Oct are for the birds (waterfowl.)

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Looks like lots of good eating throught the winter,for sure a break from salmon.
    You are definitely right on that one...I don't hunt waterfowl (though I should get a .22 pistol -- I keep seeing blue grouse when I go hunting), so I keep hunting deer, usually right up until the close as I don't normally fill my tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    So am I the only one still hunting? Got these guys on Saturday evening in the fog. One of them spotted me as I came into the meadow at 40 yards, then went back to feeding/sparring with the other one. Sat down and took one when he stopped sparring...then took the other as he just stood there. Made for a long pack back...about 150lbs, including pack

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGG!

This is not something I wanted to see.

I sold my last gun (I know it is a sin) to add a little income to my world. But, I have thought of hunting ever since, and, I don't need this type of salt rubbed into my wounds.

I still have a good backpack and my slingshot - I might be able to help you pack out some of that for a share..... and, the slingshot comes in handy for grouse up there.

Anyone want help packing? Send me a PM. I'm available 24/7.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Saturday

Went long on saturday with a friend, got up in the back and walked up on a deer so I dropped it. Took a couple more steps and it's friend was standing right there so my buddy dropped it.
    With the deer in the pack we started down at about 4:00 hoping to make it out before if got too dark. About halfway down my friend stopped for some water and I looked over to see a buck staring at me in the brush, so I dropped him. Managed to quarter him out and fit him in the pack but the last few miles were pretty slow. Got to the truck at 8:00.
    My wife said we need 3 deer this year, so I guess I better save the last one for November.

Default Nice.

I went on douglas once so far when the weather broke last weekend. A guy beat me to my spot and I heard him fire once. It was about 7am. I just turned around and went home.

Default douglas crowd

Magnum Man, i was hunting douglas a few years back and sneaking. I took a break and heard something crashing through the woods behind me. here comes another hunter. i let him pass and he continued up the hill with his noise. i waited till the woods settled then started moving again. as i was sneaking along a young buck came bouncing towards me from the direction of the other hunter.

sometimes other people can spook deer to you. i was always nervous about getting shot when i hunted douglas....too crowded.

oh ya, i shot the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    Magnum Man, i was hunting douglas a few years back and sneaking. I took a break and heard something crashing through the woods behind me. here comes another hunter. i let him pass and he continued up the hill with his noise. i waited till the woods settled then started moving again. as i was sneaking along a young buck came bouncing towards me from the direction of the other hunter.

sometimes other people can spook deer to you. i was always nervous about getting shot when i hunted douglas....too crowded.

oh ya, i shot the deer.
    I wonder if 5that was me? Back when we were going to meet at St. Anns.... I used to race to the top and then hunt my way back down. I've slowed down some in later years though - age, and, I'm seeing more deer in the canopy than I used to.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Still waiting on my compound bow to be fixed soon, though soon, untill then, ducks!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Been out once and didn't score....

Trying to kick this cold I got then maybe head out with the bow....If its brown....its down :P

Just spotted the first "termination dusting" on Douglas on top of Mt. Jumbo when the clouds lifted ~ 5 pm.

Here's to awesome rut hunting, skiing and snow machining - just not too much snow at sea level please . . .

Added - Open to the general public for shooting on Sunday at 10 am

Dang it!!! this note should go on the post above - my bad.
    Last edited by L. G.; 09-26-2009 at 19:17. Reason: Opening time/date

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Been out once and didn't score....
    then maybe head out with the bow....If its brown....its down :P
    Swung by the new indoor archery range today. Pretty cool, but it's 20 yds max. Not much sport for compound, but just right for a recurve or long bow. I'm not a stick & string guy, but the kid's gung-ho on sticking one with an arrow this November.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Swung by the new indoor archery range today. Pretty cool, but it's 20 yds max. Not much sport for compound, but just right for a recurve or long bow. I'm not a stick & string guy, but the kid's gung-ho on sticking one with an arrow this November.
    I should take my slingshot over there ... it's sort of like archery and 20 yards is about right.

Took my slingshot to Douglas yesterday (getting back to the thread), and, brought one grouse home, but lost another in the bushes. I heard it do the death flutter, but, wasn't close enough to identify the location... I looked for it for about an hour before moving on, and then searched for it again on my return. I really hate feeding the ermines.

But, I did bring one home and we ate it last night with steamed rice.

Yesterday was wet up there, today is beautiful - go figure.