Thread: Interesting Shuttle-T Result

Thumbs up Interesting Shuttle-T Result

I was sighted in for 100-grain Shuttle-T's for the longest. When I came off Kodiak, I shifted to practice points, but my 100-grain points were falling low. I tried 85-grain points and got X-rings (well, some of them were!) again, so I practiced all summer with 85's.

I just started carrying Shuttle-T's in the store and they asked if they could throw me a couple packages gratis since I was ordering. I said sure, send me 125's, since I don't have any Shuttle-T 125's.

Got me thinking; Last year's moose was taken with a 100. Why not try a 125 this year for a comparison. "Voila!"

I screwed on a couple 125 Shuttle-T's last night and took them from 20- all the way to 60- yards in LOCK STEP with my 85-grain points and 100-grain Shuttle-T's!!!!!!

I found that amazing enough to tell you all about it.

Bow must be tuned well! Anyone else getting a similar result?

Taylor

-[]------->

I actually just asked some guys up here today about some broadheads and they recommended shuttle t's. They said that they would fly true to your field points as long as your bow was properly tuned. I guess they were correct. I might have to try them out.

Thumbs up ak_hunter7616

HIGHLY Recommended.

Index blade straight up and stay that way. Adds even more consistency and I think they gain a little flight that way.

Taylor

-[]------->

I've shot them for 2 years now. Lots of guys shoot them in Oregon. I shoot the 100's 'cause I just couldn't get the 125's to fly right...but that's a bow tuning issue, not a broadhead issue (goes for all broadheads for that matter). What I can tell you about the Shuttle T's is that they are one of the best blood trails you will see. They produce a HOLE in an animal, not little slices like some heads will. My friends and I have killed multiple elk, deer and antelope with them, and every bloodtrail and entry/exit wound is the same.

The index blade being straight up doesn't make a difference in broadhead flight, but that's how I have all mine too. It's a hassle, to get it lined with the fletchings, but it looks so **** cool...confidence thing, I think.

One thing that will make a HUGE difference, is that you MUST, MUST, MUST make sure that the O-ring is in place behind all the blades. If it's not there, and the blade hits bone, it will displace the blade and run it down through the shaft of your arrow. I shot a branch, without the O-ring in place, and the blade that hit the branch ended up about 3/4 the way down the shaft, only a few inches from the fletchings. Lesson learned, fortunately it didn't happen when shooting at game.

All in all a great broadhead, I don't think I'll ever shoot anything else.

Thumbs up

I hear you with respect to damage done by Shuttle-T blades!

Put a FOB on that shaft of yours and you'll be taming those 125's too!!! ;-P

I match and weigh everything except the glue I put on the insert, and if I could find a way to do that I WOULD. So all components indexed is a MUST, even the label.

What I find is that I get exactly the same rotation / spin from each arrow in a group. At the target, they will all be label-up, or sideways, or down, but usually all the same unless I get deeper penetration caused by a worn target.

NONE of these things matter to a group shot at closer ranges, but you notice your groups tighten at farther ranges as soon as you start paying attention to the little details.

Taylor

-[]------->

Talking Update

Buddy loans me a 100 grain Grizz Trick to try. I shoot a 100 gr. Shuttle T and follow it with the Grizz Trick. Both fly true and the Trick knocks heads in the target with the Shuttle T. The T gets a Nick in the back of two of the blades and the Grizz Trick exploded! Blades broken! I guess .041 blade thickness trumps .036!!!

Still shooting the Shuttle T.

Taylor

-[]------->

Thumbs up

Buddy loans me one of the new Reign broadheads, 100grain. Swivel blade, touted as going around as well as through bone in order to keep the terminal ballistic flight path in line with the external trajectory. Great theory as it will allow KE delivery through the target.

I watched a video where these were shot through a 55-gallon drum. They passed through and alot of other heads did not.

So surely it will go through an Anchorage phonebook... At 30 yards...

Nope. Only went 2/3 of the way through.

Same shaft with 100gr Shuttle-T blew through and protruded 8" behind the phone book. Worth noting is this was a practice broadhead that I have been shooting over and over this summer.

Even a 125grain Shuttle-T faultered, about the same as the Reign. Just not enough momentum/speed given my setup.

I'll be using the 100 Shuttle-T's on this year's moose hunt!

Just an FYI

Taylor

-[]------->

Default pics

So where's the pics of this phonebook you killed? I want to see if I can kill a bigger one with slick tricks.

A few more days and your out there. Good luck bud.

I recently started shooting the shuttle t's also. Been hunting with magnus stingers and they work great but wanted to try something different. I like the accuracy of these, there wasn't much sight adjustment needed as compared to my stingers. But my bow could probably use a tune up so that may be a reason they didnt shoot the same as my field points. I had the chance at putting them to test on a moose but couldn't get close enough to him and it was about time to head on home too, so chose to use a rifle instead Might try them on a bear this weekend and of course they are followed by FOBs! So the blade makes decent bloodtrails? The one thing I didn't like about the stinger is the bloodtrails weren't the best but they sure did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Buddy loans me a 100 grain Grizz Trick to try. I shoot a 100 gr. Shuttle T and follow it with the Grizz Trick. Both fly true and the Trick knocks heads in the target with the Shuttle T. The T gets a Nick in the back of two of the blades and the Grizz Trick exploded! Blades broken! I guess .041 blade thickness trumps .036!!!

Still shooting the Shuttle T.

Taylor

-[]------->
    What??? You broke my broadhead??? Man your hard on stuff.