Thread: Symphony Lake

Default Symphony Lake

Anyone been up the trail recently. I am looking to do some fishing at the lakes and wanted to know a bit more about the hike. How long would it take for more of a leisure hike, since I would be carrying some gear?

Any advice for hiking it? Thanks

I did the whole hike some years back with a group and it took about 4 hours. I think one person not in a group could do it faster- it's only supposed to be 8 miles. I'd think it could be done in 2-1/2 to 3 hours if you can maintain a 3MPH pace most of the time.

I hike back to the bridge on a regular basis, though.

You might check to see if they've re-opened the parking lot. It was closed for expansion a few weeks ago and they had the road marked "No Parking" and the trail listed as CLOSED. Of course, we hiked it anyway but that was late at night. I also suspect that after they do the improvements this will be yet another "Pay to Play" area.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Trailhead to the lake is about 6 miles. It is a relatively flat trail, some elevation gain after you leave the boardwalk, but then it flattens out. Figure 2 hours from trailhead to the lake. I've only been to the lake a few times, and haven't fished it. It is one of my favorite hikes, especially in the fall.

Backpacked to Symphony about 6 weeks ago. Good hike, took 2-2/12 hours I believe? Not a bad hike at all, especially when it's not 80 degrees. Fishing wasn't good at all when we were back there due to the heat, but usually it's pretty good. Enjoy your trip!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Did it this weekend. Lots of folks fishing at the lake. It was 4.5 to the boulder field & then a mile of rock-hopping to the start of the lake. Absolutely gorgeous! First 1/2 mile of trail had some muddy patches.