Thread: Fairbanks local meat processors!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Angry Fairbanks local meat processors!

okay so with out mentioning names

we have a local meat cutter here in Fairbanks that once again i am DONE doing business with!

two years ago i carried in an entire moose minus ONE front shoulder that i had given away.

first moose in. for the season.. checked in clean meat in good shape... on their form..

two weeks later i got called to pick it up.

undone fly blown, spoiled meat??? ***!!!!!!!!!!green bones i was not even sure it was my meat!! i made them get rid of it vowing never to return..

well i met the owner last fall at the black powder classes with my step son...The guy was great... so we talked and i decided to give his place a second try.

on the 30th July i turned in 47lbs of CUT meat.moose and caribou frozen in bulk from last season...

all it had to do was be run through a grinder and put in casings... as stuffing sausage casings is NOT my fortee....
    i was told a week and a half...

week ago i called...

we are working on it.. will call soon as it ;s done

night before last...

er.. not sure... WHO are you?
    ummm er... ah... can you call back tomorrow? click

last night..

nope we are working on it.. we will call you when its done... click

i called back..

explained to the gal i was told 1 week... to 1.5 weeks tops... when will it be done?

she replied how do i know? we will call you when its done.. click...

so i am guessing they don't care.. or they LOST IT!!

so i am betting that i will get 47 lbs of your moose or caribou... some where...

today the guy that answers again has no idea who i am or where my order is.....
    i am pissed!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OF my meat will from here on out go to DELTA meat CO ... or to anchorage on the of chance Delta is booked..

Delta will meet me in town and pick up my meat and bring it back a week later ... last time i dropped off 78 lbs and got it back from DELTA in a week.. with a guarantee it was MY meat...

for reference though...

i will store large quantities of meat and have them processed as we need them rather then all at once.. better sausage longer..

i was so surprised to find two bags under my bear hams.. that i guess .. the gift was not meant to be...

i hope who ever got mine enjoys it.. and i hope whom ever i get took as good a care of it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Truly sucks when dropping off meat...there's a large degree of unknown. Hence why I want to learn how to process my own.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I can't afford to send meat out...sure it's a lot of work - even to turn a single bou into burger, but I can afford my time since I don't pay myself much of a salary!

Last year I tried making moose brats with some roasts a friend gave me...lots of work and I didn't put enough pork suet in, but still good. I just got some peperoni stick type casings and am hoping I get some meat this season to try it out. $10 for a seasoning and casing kit plus a day or two of mixing, stuffing, smoking is something I can handle - $5-$10 a lb for processing is something I cannot handle. Don't get me wrong if I could afford I'd gladly have somebody process all my meat - indian valley or delta meats would be my choices.

I like your technique vince of freezing bulk meat - more traiditional, less spoilage, and more flexible. My freeze is a bit too small to allow it, but it's on my list for future plans.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    I can't afford to send meat out...sure it's a lot of work - even to turn a single bou into burger, but I can afford my time since I don't pay myself much of a salary!

Last year I tried making moose brats with some roasts a friend gave me...lots of work and I didn't put enough pork suet in, but still good. I just got some peperoni stick type casings and am hoping I get some meat this season to try it out. $10 for a seasoning and casing kit plus a day or two of mixing, stuffing, smoking is something I can handle - $5-$10 a lb for processing is something I cannot handle. Don't get me wrong if I could afford I'd gladly have somebody process all my meat - indian valley or delta meats would be my choices.

I like your technique vince of freezing bulk meat - more traiditional, less spoilage, and more flexible. My freeze is a bit too small to allow it, but it's on my list for future plans.
    well cost is one of the reasons we do things as we do....

i cut and grind all my own meat except for what will be stuffed into casing..we make 70-100 burger another 70-100 of Italian or breakfast bulk sausages.. using the recipes right here off the pantry!!! we have two grinders in process.. one course one med or fine depending on recipe. kid pokes it in.. next kid pokes it in again. third kid has bags over grinder to catch second grind.. twist and tape..

most places have a 20 min weight limit on a batch.. so you will have returned about 30-35 lbs of sausages.. for ~$90 av. 2.95-3.15 processed weight.

100 bucks we can come up with a few times... 500 bucks all at once not so easy.. and i found it is better quality in may by stacking bags of cubed meat and doing in smaller batches..i will wrap the meat paper then double white bag it in 20lb lots... on cookie sheets in the upright on the shelf then transfer the flats to the deep freeze so they stack neatly.

i also save on asking them to NOT wrap my dogs up...

i have a large family and we put them in to portions for us...

and i make some for the times the kids are out with other parents..

i take a lot of care and time on that meat.. and my beef boils down to ...

two times i have been there. two times i am getting screwed.. i hope it is not common...
    having met the owner... i will be attempting to contact him... and inform him of the failing of his staff..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

that's too bad, especially since the owner was a stand up guy...gues that doesn't always translate into being a good businessman.

My brother in law took a small batch into a local processor and had a similar story - no idea when it will be done and they couldn't tell him. But he was in the middle of changing jobs and not much concerened (especially since it was a small 15 or 20 batch).

He finally got it back - paid through the nose and the stuff was way too dried out. At least if I screw up my own stuff I A) don't feel cheated and B) can use it as a lesson learned and try to do better next time.

(of course that's also the reason I don't expirement much...too afraid to mess up something that I already have established as pretty good)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

i cut and grind all my own meat except for what will be stuffed into casing..we make 70-100 burger another 70-100 of Italian or breakfast bulk sausages.. using the recipes right here off the pantry!!! we have two grinders in process.. one course one med or fine depending on recipe. kid pokes it in.. next kid pokes it in again. third kid has bags over grinder to catch second grind.. twist and tape..
    Can you post a link to the burger, itallian, and sausage recipes? Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Vince..that's the best thing about Ronnie moving in next door I don't have to go to Wasilla for my grind and breakfast sausage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sorry for the problems you're having locally! Sucks to have to go through it twice at the same joint. That's why I process all of my animals myself! It's cheaper and you know what your getting and sausage making is a blast once you have the right equipment.

Get a good grinder and you're good to go! Process your own! You won't be sorry and it's a great family experience!!

Default update

well this was on the hunting thread also...

but after a month( was supposed to be a week) i got my meat back... still not sure it was mine

of the 47 lbs i dropped off it was supposed to be 1/2 brats and 1/2 breakfast sausages....

so far...

all the Breakfast meats are brats.....

Interior meat prossesors ... SUCK!

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

go see stubby and marty ...(pm me ) they cut and wrap and make bulk b-sausage on the side(they cut meat for a livin), great guys,have worked with them for years and they been cutting meat in town since 77!...i cut my own the last 12 years but have no time this year...so i have them doing 3/4 and i'm doing the blance in "my links/huntsticks" etc
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......