Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: $450.00 What to get

  1. #1

    Default $450.00 What to get

    I have 450 burning a hole in my pocket. I dont know if I want to start by getting like an AR lower, or getting a bolt gun in a varmit round. This will be used to hunt with and the occasional plinking session. Coyotes, fox, wolf, is on the menu. Ammo availability and prices is my main reason for staying with a .223 but a .22-250 would entertain me. I am young and leaving for college, I just want it for when I get home in the winter.

    I am open to all suggestions. Just a younger guy looking for some insight.

    Thanks in advance,
    Frank

  2. #2
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default Have you...

    thought about an H&R Handi Rifle in .223. You could probably get one of these and have money to put some glass on it. Just a thought.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Buy ammo.......

  4. #4

    Default

    I have scopes and ammo, I wrestle so I cant drink, and I go home to pootie tang every night. Now that we got that out of the way, I think I may go with a used 30-06 or 308. Hopefully a .223 shows up soon though.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Folks seem to be likeing the new Stevens guns in less than that price range.

  6. #6
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    22-250 in one of the new Stevens tack drivers would be just the ticket for predator work.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I have a remington 700 SPS varmint in .308. Its a great gun for the money. I think I paid about $500 for it last spring. Good round for your stated purpose, and could also handle a bit larger game. Very easy to find ammo for.

    A lot of folks I've talked to lately are really liking the Savage rifles, and they are a bit more affordable.

    My next bolt gun will be an SPS tactical in .223



    Jeremiah

  8. #8
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    I have 450 burning a hole in my pocket. I dont know if I want to start by getting like an AR lower, or getting a bolt gun in a varmit round. This will be used to hunt with and the occasional plinking session. Coyotes, fox, wolf, is on the menu. Ammo availability and prices is my main reason for staying with a .223 but a .22-250 would entertain me. I am young and leaving for college, I just want it for when I get home in the winter.

    I am open to all suggestions. Just a younger guy looking for some insight.

    Thanks in advance,
    Frank
    Not sure what your finances are but, you might want to invest in a rifle the would be ideal to shoot food with where your going to go to school. Keeping some deer in the freezer might come in handy as a college kid.

  9. #9
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    I have a remington 700 SPS varmint in .308. Its a great gun for the money. I think I paid about $500 for it last spring. Good round for your stated purpose, and could also handle a bit larger game.
    Jeremiah
    I have taken 11 Rocky Mountain Elk, 6 Alaskan Moose, and a countless other smaller game with .308s so I think you may have understated its abilities just a tad.
    Itís a great all around chambering just like 30-06.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  10. #10

    Default

    I have not checked up on this for a while. But I believe that I am going to be owning a .308 very soon. Very funny that you guys thought of the same thing.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have taken 11 Rocky Mountain Elk, 6 Alaskan Moose, and a countless other smaller game with .308s so I think you may have understated its abilities just a tad.
    Itís a great all around chambering just like 30-06.
    I would hunt anything in North America with mine, but I just didn't want to hype it up and start a debate with someone who thinks you need a 375 to kill a squirrel. .308 is a legal caliber for Bison, enough said. I'm glad that others agree with me.



    Jeremiah

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    I would hunt anything in North America with mine, but I just didn't want to hype it up and start a debate with someone who thinks you need a 375 to kill a squirrel. .308 is a legal caliber for Bison, enough said. I'm glad that others agree with me.
    Jeremiah
    Agreed! What sooo many people just don't seem to understand is that it is much more about a caliber that one is comfortable and confident shooting, and shot placement, than it is about fps/ft. lb of energy. I just want to look at some of these folks and ask "really?"....of course, I would question the .308 on, say, African Elephant...but that is another story.
    Also, why is it that the .308 is the sniper's round of choice???? Because it is a fantastic all around deadly caliber with correct shot placement.

  13. #13
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Agreed! What sooo many people just don't seem to understand is that it is much more about a caliber that one is comfortable and confident shooting, and shot placement, than it is about fps/ft. lb of energy. I just want to look at some of these folks and ask "really?"....of course, I would question the .308 on, say, African Elephant...but that is another story.
    Also, why is it that the .308 is the sniper's round of choice???? Because it is a fantastic all around deadly caliber with correct shot placement.
    The .308 has also maintained its place as a sniper caliber due to the fact that 7.62 NATO will be readily available on the battle field in the event things get grim. Snipers are taught that there is a velocity difference (among other things) between the match grade and the standard 7.62 NATO, but if that brown box of match grade becomes hard to get in a pinch, go find that platoon machine gunner and you are set. The M24, if you look has a longe action reciever. This is because the modern M24 was designed with the thought of using or modifying to a .300 Win Mag. Imagine having a great rifle and because of some SNAFU, you can't get a cartridge because its nothing anyone else has.

  14. #14
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Both the .223 and .308 are outstanding rounds. When you balance the cost and availability of ammo, as well as what they'll do on game. For practice, varmints and fur bearing critters, the .223 is hard to top. For bigger critters, if you can't kill it with a .308, it's not due to a lack of power.

    It took me a long time to realize all I really need is a 22lr, 223, .308 and a 12 ga.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Frank, Take a look at the Weatherby Vangaurd line. This is a good quality rifle that is not expensive. In my view it is a far superior design than any other "cheapos" on the market. It also has a large selection of calibers. It is also available in a combo package that is just a bit more than $450.
    Look on www.gunbrokers.com for some good deals
    The 308 is adequate in power with affordable ammo available.
    practice practice practice
    Good luck

  16. #16

    Default

    Another good gun with a crazy cheap price tag is the Marlin XL7. I just looked at a .308 for under $300 and I know from personal experience these are much better guns that you would think.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    58

    Default Vanguard

    I'd opt for the Weatherby Vanguard also. The 257 Weatherby Magnum is a fantastic caliber for what you're planning. I shoot with a guy who has one, and it is nothing short of amazing for velocity and accuracy. When he hits coyotes at 300 yds, they do the "red mist" thing. It's a beautiful rifle to shoot, and if I was looking for another in that range, I wouldn't hesitate. The 257 is certainly big enough for deer as well. Have fun!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •