Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear fences...whats your stance????

Default Bear fences...whats your stance????

I have heard of a few people using bear fences but I always just thought they just had a real phobia of bears, do any of you feel like it is a real safety issue and would any you reccomend one?

On Friday, while stranded on a deserted island (Chamisso, in Kotzebue Sound) I had the BIGGEST Brown Bear Ive ever seen IN MY LIFE, belly dragging, back pad bigger than my 11's, walk AROUND my piss "Fence" I put out, and walk the water line between my tent and the ocean, before sencing me and ran off full blast......No kidding.

"Thy MosinNagant and thy piss fence, they comfort me".....

Best fence ever made, and I had drank alot of Tea before setting off on my little trip that ended up with that Bear stayed on "His" side, and I on mine, 3 days, two nights....and then the story really went crazy, but I'll post pix of that....been a long week......

I swear by Piss.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default I say why not....

With the lightweight kits like www.udap.com coming in at 4 lbs +/-, it is easier than ever to drag one along. Even if the shock doesn't deter a bear (and it should), at least you have a physical barrier (fence) that you will hopefully hear coming down around you. That alone could make the difference by giving you a bit of time to get your devices about yourself and get the gun in a ready position. Are they needed? Are seat belts, helmets, health insurance, etc.. "needed"? Well, you know that old saying, "You don't need it till you do"

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Never really used them in the past. But I bought one and one of my buddies did as well. We are hauling them to Kodiak to atleast give them a whirl. Rumor is they have big bears and lots of them down there. Figure it'd be a good place to test them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Never really used them in the past. But I bought one and one of my buddies did as well. We are hauling them to Kodiak to atleast give them a whirl. Rumor is they have big bears and lots of them down there. Figure it'd be a good place to test them out.
    I have never had any issues with bears getting in my stuff or harassing my camps but have had a few over the years circle or come in pretty close but they always left on their own without me having to do anything.

I will be curious to see how your fences work out for you on Kodiak, I take it you are going to put one around the meat as well as your camp site?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default bear fences..... whats your take?

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Everything I've heard about them....they work. Bears love to run their claws through aircraft fabric. I know guys living in remote areas that had their planes trashed, started using these and had no more problems.

I know lots of folks that swear by them so we're going to use one next week on our sheep hunt, i'll let you know how it goes once we get back.

Default bear fence

I know I sleep allot better .....

Default cabelas

Doesn't cabelas sell one as well?

We used one for the first time this year on Kodiak. I had the same wonderings before we used it. We had a bear observing us from a distant ridge the last night we were there, and believe he came in to camp that night. Our meat was inside the fence with us and stayed safe. I do not believe we would have been able to take all of our meat home if we had not had the fence. The fence also allowed us to hunt freely and not worry about a bear tearing up our tent or camp while we were gone. And yes, I did sleep better at night knowing we had some help/warning surrounding camp. Just one experience so far, but already seeing the value.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Doesn't cabelas sell one as well?
    They did man, I saw it marked down about $50 just a month or so back. Just now looking at the website, I can't find it. Check the kit out at http://www.udap.com/BearShockFences.htm That is where I ordered mine from. Perhaps other places sell them, I am just not certain where that would be. Everything below fits in the bag and is about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle and weighs 3.7 pounds (with batteries). Pretty slick in my opinion.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default a couple anecdotes

I was first intrigued by bear fences when a buddy of mine used one around his smokehouse outside of Dillingham. He had chronic problems with bears over the years, then he erected an electric fence. He told me he was amazed at how well it worked. I took note…

Then a second friend told me about using one on a float trip on the Alagnak River. His party was camping and fishing The Braids, and there were bears everywhere. They erected a large fence around their camp. At one point they were at camp and inside the fence when a sow and cub approached. The cub wandered underneath one of the wires, entering their compound. When the cub spotted the humans it panicked – running around, bawling, and occasionally bouncing off the fence. The sow went beserk and charged toward her cub and the compound. She hit the fence and it stopped her dead in her tracks. She then paced back and forth outside the perimeter, popping her teeth, still very agitated, until my friends - now shaking with fright - were able to scoot the cub outside the fence where it finally joined the sow and ran off.

Two points impressed me: first, the fence incredibly stopped an agitated sow (not that this would always be the case, but impressive nevertheless), and second, if you erect a fence, make sure the bottom wire is low enough to hit a small bear.

Never needed them.
    Just had to listen to what grandma said.
    Had big browny's walking right next to the tent and around camp with no worries.
    Just use common sense.

I bought one last year for moose hunting we set it up and had the most peaceful sleep in the world we were camped in off the denali hwy about 4 miles and never woke up once wandering about the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post

Then a second friend told me about using one on a float trip on the Alagnak River. His party was camping and fishing The Braids, and there were bears everywhere. They erected a large fence around their camp. At one point they were at camp and inside the fence when a sow and cub approached. The cub wandered underneath one of the wires, entering their compound. When the cub spotted the humans it panicked – running around, bawling, and occasionally bouncing off the fence. The sow went beserk and charged toward her cub and the compound. She hit the fence and it stopped her dead in her tracks. She then paced back and forth outside the perimeter, popping her teeth, still very agitated, until my friends - now shaking with fright - were able to scoot the cub outside the fence where it finally joined the sow and ran off.

Makes me think of two words. Poop and pants

I've sold a couple dozen a year over the last 3 years and have never had negative feedback. For some, it's just a "well, we slept soundly," and for others it's "we would never have made it out alive!".

I brought them in as a result of losing 1,000.oo in gear to a black bear while I was away sheep hunting. I take it along, at 2 lbs, and decide based upon bear pressure in the area whether I'll use it.

Then there's the loss-of-life thing...!

Taylor

-[]------->

P.S. Please direct all availability / pricing questions to PM. Don't want this to become a commercial.

Something came into our camp, less than 8' from my head in the tent, on Kodiak last year. It touched the fence and reversed direction in a big hurry. Deer or bear? I have no idea..but the fence made it go away. Zero problems leaving our camp with the fence on...even put meat in the cooler inside the fence line with no issues. I'll never go to Kodiak without one again.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default sleeping

Actually I always slept pretty good ... maybe inside the fence I just think I sleep better .....

But like Mark mentioned I just feel better when I go off and leave camp.

I bought a Udap fence for this years trip - better safe than sorry. I've heard nothing but good stuff about them - not one complaint.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast