Thread: need good half mount idea.. bear

Default need good half mount idea.. bear

i got one with a large white patch and need to mount it but what mount should I choose.. It just finished tanning and now I was contacted about which mount i wanted... can anyone give me good ideas? I dont like the "aggressive mounts" they seem "cheesy"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Be unique.......mount the back half

(as in "on the wall"~LOL!!~~ not what yer all thinking....weirdos....)
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i have always thought a half mount with 1 paw on a cottonwood log like he's getting ready to come over it looking sideways with the mouth closed would be really a beautiful mount hopefully i cna get one nice enough for that good luck

A quartering to you left to right with a fish in its mouth...of course on some kind of base with rocks and grass of some sorts. I'm sure it's hard to picture...and if you're curious I will sketch what I am talking about...I think it would look natural and would be original too...I agree with the aggressive mounts...they look ridiculous...oh, is it a blacky or brown?

AZinAK

its a blackie

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Picture only the front half of this wolverine. The front feet are standing up on something, head high enough to show the patch, and looking downward. I think it would show off the uniqueness of your bear while not being aggressive. I personally think a fish in the mouth would detract from the white patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My suggestion would be to look through a couple of taxidermy supply catalogs and take a look at the forms. Research mannikins: http://www.rmi-online.com/

Mckenzie taxidermy: http://www.mckenziesp.com/index.asp

This should be a good start. I agree that putting a salmon in its mouth would detract from the white blaze. Besides, how many spring bears have you seen actually feeding on salmon?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

what ever it is.. make it closed mouth and natural....

i have seen many half mounts charging out fo the wall... teeth bared and claws up..

but how often is that the case? is that how he looked when you hit him or was he happliy eating dinner on your bait stand

i like the corner mounts that sort of step from one corner to the next.. with that curious nature they naturally have on their face...

good luck with your choices. adn give us pics later...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I did this full mount for a friend. That blaze would show nice on this form, or maybe a nice shoulder mount. like this. Nice Bear and congrats.

Steve

Talking

Two choices:

Have it climbing out of a bait barrel. With just it's head, shoulders and front legs coming out.

Or....have it climbing out of a garbage can the same way, only with a bit up credit card in it's mouth. That way you can say it looked like it was "fixin' to charge".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Here's a pic of a half-mounter....

I agree now that I think of it with the whole fish in the mouth thing...I like the bear sitting, but it just reminds me to much of Winnie the Pooh...plop a honey tub in front of it and BAM! Winnie the Pooh. Good work though...

AZinAK

Default a thought..

hang a bee's nest over his head and have him reaching both paws up towards it, almost touching it, but not quite on a pedestal mount?

Or a single paw stretching up to get at the nest with his head turned just a bit away from the reaching paw. Natural curious look on his face could almost be confused into thinking he was gonna ask you for help....

kinda hard to picture from tha vague description. I'm no artist, but can draw you something for reference. Would be a spendy mount for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Two choices:

Have it climbing out of a bait barrel. With just it's head, shoulders and front legs coming out.

Or....have it climbing out of a garbage can the same way, only with a bit up credit card in it's mouth. That way you can say it looked like it was "fixin' to charge".
    thats the funniest crap ive heard all night;

Default ??

my first question is where is the skin now...is it still in the freezer...if it is get it out and get it to the taxidermist so they can take care of it properly before it goes bad in the freezer.....my next question is how tall are the walls where you want to put it.....if they are higher than 9 or 10 feet i would recommend an upright arms down(non aggressive) half life size.....if only eight foot walls then i would recommend a more level half life size with maybe one foot up like it is about to take a step....this one would most likely require some type of a base/habitat for the other foot to be on...but it can still just hang on the wall
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

we have very high walls/..

Default kind of off topic

but did you get your muzzleloader certificate this spring....i think it was april 18 out by the palmer prison....you look like one of the guys i was sharing the loading table with
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

no not me.. that muzzle stuff is above my head.. lol