Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Names

Lightbulb Boat Names

I just bought a new boat and I want to pick a name for her.. How do I find out if a name is already being used??
    Donnie

It Is!
    Mike

Doesn't matter. Boat names aren't "official" in any way. Pick whatever name you want and write it on there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Do a google seach on boat names. I looked into this a while back and the advice I remember is to figure out what the 'popular' names are, and to stay away from these. For example, if there are four boats called Serenity out of one port it will become very confusing on the radio.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Talking

Might I suggest:

HalFast
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default consider this

I went down this path, everyone does, and have been to all the sites dealing with the boat name thing. Then a sage indivigual pointed out to me, all that stuff on the net IS ALREADY IN USE and most likely more than once. His advice was to find something in your life that is relevant, a situation or possibly an event that could yield a name. Using this advice it took little time at all and I arrived at "Huda Thunkit" as a catchy name for our C-dory. A name by the way, that I've never seen listed anywhere else. Naming the boat is a personal thing and my observation is that there are only two camps of people naming boats. You have the slap anything on there guys who ironically probably catch most of the fish because their not too busy fussing over details. Then theres the nit picky folks who will go years unnamed while looking for that absolutly perfect name! If your in the first camp, it won't matter what you choose. If the latter camp, take your time and enjoy the process, it can be a lot of fun.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I went down this path, everyone does, and have been to all the sites dealing with the boat name thing. Then a sage indivigual pointed out to me, all that stuff on the net IS ALREADY IN USE and most likely more than once. His advice was to find something in your life that is relevant, a situation or possibly an event that could yield a name. Using this advice it took little time at all and I arrived at "Huda Thunkit" as a catchy name for our C-dory. A name by the way, that I've never seen listed anywhere else. Naming the boat is a personal thing and my observation is that there are only two camps of people naming boats. You have the slap anything on there guys who ironically probably catch most of the fish because their not too busy fussing over details. Then theres the nit picky folks who will go years unnamed while looking for that absolutly perfect name! If your in the first camp, it won't matter what you choose. If the latter camp, take your time and enjoy the process, it can be a lot of fun.
    Mike
    "nit picky" where have i run across one of them guys

As for the boat name how about "After You" then when anyone asks what did your name you boat just tell them after you, instant friend!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Tricky Name

I like the name Walter Cronkite came up for his boat... "Assignment". So when he was off on the boat, the news crew could just announce that "Walter Cronkite is away on Assignment". Sounds like he never took time off...

Default Got a wife and/or kids?

Let them pick a name, just think of all the good that could come from that...or not, depends on the people I guess!

We had read "Captains Courageous" out loud when my son was 10, and he remembered that when they were handlining cod, they pulled them into the dory and then whacked them with a "Muckle"...so he suggested and we named our boat the "Muckle" (so it's a fish-whacker!!)

Well that's unique and also keeps folks guessing which is not a bad thing, and the name has grown on us and easy to say on the radio!

I like the advice about naming your boat after something personal. I named ours after my wife. You can reach me on channel 16. Just hail "Rod Holder".

I drew this up in AutoCAD. Now I just need to get the vinyl cut...

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

my boat didnt have a name when i got her either. it took me a couple of weeks of thinking about it day and night. i named her vera lynn after the pink floyd song because im such a big fan.

I can relate to your dilemna. Having bought a boat this past Spring, I toyed with names for months. I put out the naming challenge to friends and relatives, and I got some good and very unique ideas from them. Some of them I almost used, but in the end I decided to fall back to a traditional naming scheme because my wife has been so supportive about buying the boat and patient with all that went with setting it up. Didn't hurt that I've been married to her for 23 years either. So for our 23rd anniversary, I applied the custom vinyl name, "MISS ELLIE", to the boat. It had her in tears.

So, don't feel rushed. Keep thinking and take breaks from trying too hard so you aren't trying to force a name. Kinda like when you try to remember someone's name and it finally comes to you when you stop trying so hard to remember it. Your asking the question on this thread tells me this is important to you. Something will click and you'll know it when it does. Good luck!

Back when i was in Jr High (or middle school if you like) one of our class projects was to to build a smalll wood boat and name her. My mom came up with the name "Miss Take". I didn't get it for an hour or so but now I realize that name is really true for any boat if you're comparing $$$. Still loving having a boat more then planes.

Default Went alog with the wife's name

First boat we had over 20 years and she was the "Sandy Bar". Named for the first night I took my wife out in it and we spent the night stuck on a sand bar in Cook Inlet.
    Seasport aquired this past spring has become the "Sandy Lee" for the same reason others have stated, lots of support from my wife Sandy, without whom I probably would not have as nice a ride as I do now. I see her feelings for the boat's name in her eyes every time I mention it. Gotta take care of those gals that do so much for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I named ours after my wife.

rod holder? .....now that's good......funny stuff
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Let them pick a name, just think of all the good that could come from that...or not, depends on the people I guess!
    This is the route I took. My 12 year old came up with our boat name (Fully Loaded) because Mom takes evenything we own along when we go out. Having the family pick the name makes them feel like it is a part of the family, and hopefully will get them out with you more which for me is really the point. I am sure most do not know the origin of a name (such a Rod Holder) and they can be taken several ways, but that is OK. No need to stress about being too original or clever, its just for fun.

By the way, have you guys heard the boat in PWS called 'Keep her wet'? I am betting this is a single guy w/o kids!

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Keep Her Wet

I laughed pretty hard the first time I heard him calling on the radio.

I almost named my boat after my ex-wife, was going to call it "The Lying Cheating Whore"
    Dave

Talking Dam-Fine-O

Donnie
    Here's one that I know is little used due to it's origin.

Dam-Fine-O

Origin: My grandfather had just gotten a new sea skiff and he and my father were in the storage shed looking it over. Gramps asked my dad what he thought he should name it. My dad replied "****ed if I know", gramps said that's it then, Dam-Fine-O.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

I've heard the "Bald Beaver" being hailed a few times near J-town.

I always liked "Miss Goody Two Screws"
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast