Thread: stee shot?

Default stee shot?

Where are you buying your shells for this season? I like to have a little variety & have been dissapointed at what is available locally at Sportsmans & Wally world.
    Does boondocks carry a good seletion ?

Default Steel shot

Went there yesterday. wow. Everything is almost gone. Stock up!

Right now I am kind of thankfull that a back injury shut down my season last September. I have lots of shells left over so I am good for this year.

Depending on what brand you like there should be Big Green shells at Wally World. I think they also carry Federal shells.

Mountain View sports carries steel shot as well as the other non-toxic shot loads.

Each time I have gone to Sportsmans here in ANC there have been carts full of new merch waiting to be put on the shelves, but the ammo shelves are still empty. Maybe it is a national issue with the business re org or bankrupcy and the manufacturers are not selling to them in large enough volume because their demand is low.

Yikes...No shells.

For the last few years I have been buying a box or two every month. Kind of build up the stock pile with different shots.

I always ran into the same problem close to the season. No shot shells or the shot sizes I perfer for certain situtations.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Post Steel Shot Availability

It's the same way here in Fairbanks, SPW selection is minimal and what they do have is priced a bit high for my taste. Frontier Outfitters has a great selection right now for those in the area that still need shells. I bought a case last month to circumvent the pre season rush.

By the way, the hard copy Waterfowl regs are out.

A friend called up yesterday crying the blues. WAHHHH. No shells at SW. All he found were 4 boxes of Black Cloud #4 in 3". There were a few more styles and types in 3.5", so I told him to go buy a new gun. I think he would have smote me with a stick if I had been standing there.
    His normal gun food is Winnies #3 x 3". He hates Federal and did everything he could do to not buy any. I laughed. I'll shoot about anything in my gun that goes bang and I'll kill ducks with them. (Not bragging, just a "lil whore" when it comes to shooting what is available w/out remorse.)
    Right now I am sitting on one of the larger stocks of shotgun food around. I am a happy camper. I might go back to SW and pick up some #7.5 in steel for swatter loads, or an occasional upland bird. The shells were only $10 a box, which is not that bad anyway.
    Frontier did have what looked to be lots of shells, so if in need, stop by and see Gerrie and the gang.
    Opening morning will find me pass shooting geese and big birds, so guess I'll pull out a box of 3" Federal w/ a 1 1/4 ounce load of BB or BBB.

Default BC

I know that black cloud is a little spendy, but I managed to take head clean off a big honker with it last fall in MN using #2s. I would like to give the 4s a try in early season here so if he doesn't like em send them down
    I found some remington HD's or whatever their version of heavy shot is in eagle river but they are like $3.00 per shell for a box of 10. Yikes silly watefowl aren't worth that much.

i just dont buy into the black cloud gimmick

Kents, Rems, Feds, whatever is cheapest kills just the same - the ducks dont know the difference. I will admit the Heavy Shot is nice - reminds me of the lead days, but not worth the $ unless you are only going to hunt one day per year and maybe be lucky to take 5 shots all day - same with any other shells that comes only 10 rounds to a box.