Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ID on a PWS fish

Default Need ID on a PWS fish

This fish is a weird little guy we caught several of, some as deep as 300 feet going after a few yelloweye. They don't have a problem like rockfish, must have a swim bladder, and they go right down when released, not bloating or extended eyes /stomach. Don't have a clue on this one, there is two pictures, all were about 10 inches or so long. Note the dorsal and bottom fins extend from head to tail, big eyes, big gill fins like a ling cod or sculpin, cute lil critter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

those i have seen before.. I ve herd them called Kelp Greening.. but the seward sea life ones are slightly different when i seen them first hand...

but there in PWS Greenlings is what we called them.. i do beleive they are part of the Scullpin family
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Not those...

Hi Vince. Definitely not a kelp greenling, I know those well and we caught a bunch, but I agree that it seems to be in the same family. For sure not a sculpin, it is soft all over, not fin spins or anywhere else. Caught lots of sculpins too, nice quiet fish easy to release!

We caught several of those too, Ron. They all went back down without issues as far as I could tell. Not sure what they are either. Sorry we never made it over to your side. We will plan on it next year.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Talking ooh! ooh! i know!!! (well, i can narrow it down)

that is either an eelpout or a ronquil, can't tell from the pic, likely a wattled eelpout based on size and depth, but could be a searcher (a type of ronquil).
    greenling are are in the same family as lingcod ( hexagrammidae- greenlings), not related to sculpins. lingcod are the largest members of the family.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Gunnel fish

It is called a Gunnel Fish There are about 4 kinds. The Crescent, Saddleback,Penpoint, And sorry but I cant think of the other One. They grow to about 18" at the most they are very closely related to the Rock pickleleleback. I Am a Charter caption out of Whittier. Hope this helps
    Last edited by ak 4 star; 08-20-2009 at 23:35. Reason: wrong word

Default sorry... (GONG!)

nope, not a gunnel....
    check "alaska's saltwater fishes" by kessler and "pacific fishes of canada" by hart.
    (but gunnels are related to p r i c klebacks)
    Last edited by homerdave; 08-21-2009 at 00:00. Reason: edit-bot thought i used a "bad" word" <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Eelpout?? Thats' another name for burbot... do a google image search on "eelpout" That fish is definitely not in the burbot family! I'd say it looks more closely related to a greenling than a burbot. One characteristic I think that is different is the spines in the lower fin- as far as I know the eelpout fin is smooth, not spined as in the pictured fish.

Default Ronquil

Right on with the Ronquil call, though. Wonder if "gunnel" is a regional misnomer for the Ronquil? Or a generalization for all fish that sorta look like that one? Here's a link to a page with a bunch of pics:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Talking

It's not a halibut, that should help narrow it down. -Your welcome

You should have kept one. The state record is 9 inches.

I am thinking Northern Ronquil. I caught one two weeks ago. Kind of a crappy pic but it's the lil guy on the right, with a Kelp Greenling. I think it's the same fish, si?

Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so if you stick a hook in it and send it back over,, what comes up with it?

thats what matters!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Suprised nobody asked what it tasted like?

Default OK, I'll bite,...

So... What did it taste like?

Whatever it is, Ninilchik Charters has a mount of one in their office. Looks just like the second picture. Kinda a cute little bugger...

Default Yep...it's a northern ronquil

OK...third try, getting tired of typing this reply and it's getting shorter each time! Sometimes the forum burps and loses a reply, so here goes again...

Thanks to everyone for helping ID this fish, and if you want more try wikipedia, good description there. They can have lots of color, but google images just shows pale ones.

Vince, they are good bait, so next time I will put one on a circle hook and see what I get! Didn't eat any of the 10 or so we caught, not much meat there to fool with.

There is a submarine named the USS Ronquil, and they have a patch to wear that has an ebroidered fish that looks just like my pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    OK...third try, getting tired of typing this reply and it's getting shorter each time! Sometimes the forum burps and loses a reply, so here goes again...
    I always copy my posts on online forums before hitting "submit reply" so if the server makes the post disappear I can just paste it in the reply box and try again. Less frustrating than typing three paragraphs and watching the internet make them disappear. Jus' a-sayin'.....

That's a searcher. We caught some out of PWS while doing rockfish studies.

Default Alaska Fish & Feathers

I went there once looking to identify a fish I saw that looked like a snake (not fish tail) but swam in an up down motion rather than a side to side motion. Well they gave me a book to look at with photos and info. Problem was it was 3 inchs thick. Never did find the one I saw. This thing when I was dothering it did not swim away it turned and snapped at me. Thats why it's still swimming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast