Thread: Early Moose Draw Hunt

Question Early Moose Draw Hunt

Did anyone else capitalize on their early moose hunt? Just wondering?

A number of folks connected on the early harvest ticket archery hunts, but I haven't heard anything about draw tags being filled. What draw hunts start this early?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    A number of folks connected on the early harvest ticket archery hunts, but I haven't heard anything about draw tags being filled. What draw hunts start this early?
    there are a bunch of new ones here around 20B Brian... they sepreated the hunts by small zones along the populated areas. and broke the up into three time frames to keep folks off each other.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Dm742 / dm743

Chena River Middle Fork above and below the confluence of the North and East Fork.

August 15 -thruogh Nov 30 some are 15 day hunts i.e. 15 August -31 August.

I have one which I can not believe becuase I have been donating for going on 20 years and never get drawn well with the exception of a TMA Sheep 14 years ago and now this.

I am heading out Sat Morn but with limited time will more than likey not pull the trigger till next weekend. Hockey Hockey Hockey started three weeks ago takes up way to much time.

Blue Moose

I got one that is on the chena hot springs road that starts on the 1st. I am going to miss the first week since I will be goat hunting. My goat hunting partner drew the same tag also so we will be coming off the mountain and heading strait up that way. (after a shower and hot meal). Good luck Blue moose.

Default Same to you

Hope you have a very good goat hunt as well

Default early moose

well it wasn't an early "draw" but up here i went on a registration hunt where the season opened aug 1st for district residents and my brother in law and i went out and got a nice bull, nothing huge but 57"+. He was still in velvet and growing so would have been a nice one if he continued to grow for a couple weeks. we had some nice unseasonably cool weather to hunt in so it all worked out well.

My daughter's cow moose tag at Point Makenzie started on the 20th, 5 days before the regular season. Two days, eight miles of walking, 20 miles on the wheeler later we have seen two bulls, a hydroaxed porcupine , his live buddy, a bunch of rabbits...everything but a cow moose. I thought Pt. Mak was overgrown with cow moose, but I must be looking in the wrong spot. We are starting at first light at 5:30 am and hunting till noon since it's so hot in the afternoon.

The biggest issue is how thick it is around there. Other than swamps and the powerline you are lucky to see 20 yards. We have until the 25th of Sept so we will get it done. Back out again Sunday and hoping for cooler weather.

Can't beat the time spent with the kids, so it's totally worth it
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default need help?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My daughter's cow moose tag at Point Makenzie started on the 20th, 5 days before the regular season. Two days, eight miles of walking, 20 miles on the wheeler later we have seen two bulls, a hydroaxed porcupine , his live buddy, a bunch of rabbits...everything but a cow moose. I thought Pt. Mak was overgrown with cow moose

Can't beat the time spent with the kids, so it's totally worth it
    That's great you're getting some time out there with your kids; I like that area, but less so since they paved it clear to the end last fall. I take my kids out to that area regularly.

Certainly its only a matter of time now that stationwagons can now access that area making good time, for tons of houses to be built, then the darn bridge to be built (preceeded of course by ferry service) and then our politicians (who own tons of land over there) will have their large retirement fund, as planned. You and I that paid for that road will only see the expense, not the returns.

<gets off soap box...>

If you're tired of having fun out there with them and instead want to have lots of work hauling a cow home from there and processing it let me know and I might be able to help.

Default dm407 success

Wife pulled the trigger on one at 4:00 opening day. After almost 6hrs of disasembling a huge cow we pulled into camp and ate a Mountain house in the dark with headlamps. Gutting a moose is like dealing with explosives, one wrong move and you'll wish you were dead. I havent gutted a moose but twice by myself and what a chore! Thank God we could drive right up to it. Wifes first moose and She drilled it, no shoulder meat lost at all.. Couldnt have wished for a better hunt. Fortunate to have drawn a permit and feel blessed to get one first day and be back home with fans on meat.

Gutting a moose is like dealing with explosives, one wrong move and you'll wish you were dead
    Get ahold of the Fish and Wildlife video on field dressing a moose. No time bomb to worry about if you are slitting them down the back instead of the belly. I can knock one down into quarters in half the time now and not have to worry about the guts.

FamilyMan, thanks for the offer. We're done for the weekend. I've been sick for two weeks with a lung infection and I'm done We are going to have to just hit it on weekends with all the other weekend guys in the general season now. It might be a good thing if they start pushing the cows around, though.

yeah it seemed much easier just to quater them without gutting them, you can still saw off the ribs and get the tenderloins without puncturing the guts if your careful.

BTW 338, congratulate your wife on her success

Default Dropped Cow

338, That's awesome. I was so mad this evening when I realized that the draw hunts opened on the 20th. I thought it was the 25th, and went to the range with the kids today rather than the woods. Now I am kicking myself in the butt. Maybe some of your good vibes will rub off on me and my daughter for our cow tags.

hey doug congrats on your daughter drawin a cow tag for pt mack, i used to hunt that area for bulls every year. this is the first year it opened on the 25th, normally it starts on the 20th. this last year has seen considerable less moose in the area as i think human activity has really increased as well as predator populations pick up with the rabbit upcycle. we go farther out...ill shoot you a pm about where i have been seein the most moose and since you have a 4wheeler i think youll be fine.

Default Dm408

My wife took her first moose just before 6 am on opening day. It was a big fat cow and so close to where we parked the truck that we were on the road back to Soldotna by 9am.

Thumbs up That's how mine was.

It was like going to the meat department at Fred Meyer. I doubt I will be so lucky next year.