Thread: Tips for finding/stalking brown bear.

Default Tips for finding/stalking brown bear.

Hey all.

I've never actually "hunted" bear, the few we've taken have just been hey look at that, lets shoot him run ins. However, this year I'm on leave from deployment, and my little brother is just getting ready to go to Iraq. Because he's never gone before, I'd really like to get him a bear.

We'll be south of the Denali Highway, about 50 ish miles by quad from the Gracious (spelling?) house. Can anyone give me any kind of pointers for actively trying to find a brownie?

Default Look for other hunters!

Moose hunter and Caribou hunters will be leaving gut piles. Ask hunters you see and they might offer some insight since they will have been back in there. Some people just don't to deal with a bear after being shot, so you might get some good honest info.

Not sure of that area but if around major rivers that feed into the Susitna and the like might have salmon. Berry patches for sure. Most important is glassing.

So when you getting back into town?

Glass until your eyes bleed. If you are taking the trail that parallels the Susitna you are going to have to get off of it and head up high. Should be bears up in the berries. Berry crop west of there is pretty bad, but it might not be right where you are going. BTW..50 miles south of Ghouse is more than half way back to Talkeetna
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

akrstabout:

I should be home on the night of the 29th. Planning on heading up to Denali the next day. Plan on meeting up with you sometime in the late morning/early afternoon and then heading out of town.

AKDoug:

Thats true as the crow flies, but I'm headed in by ATV, and not a straight line.

Roger that I've been a longgggg... way down that trail and rode the last 12 miles back with a hole busted in my aluminum rim. Be careful crossing Butte Creek if you take the trail along the river. It can come up quickly and we once had to wait a day to get back across.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I hear ya. My family, and hunting buddies have been hunting that area for roughly 30 or so years now, I can't count how many broken ATV's and high rivers I've seen in that area.

We usually have one of the more "permenent" camps on the south side of the Butte, against one of the mountains, gives us a pretty perch and overlook of most of the valley.

Beautiful area.