Thread: hunting info

Default hunting info

hey ive got a few questions. i was wondering what will be in season in around the end of oct begining of nov im going to ft rich on leave from afghanastan and was wanting to do some hunting i have bow and rifle there i would like to go for moose if possable.

I would check the regs (avail on line) for the particular area you plan to hunt due to the variability of open season for different species in different areas but will have to advise you it is pretty slim pickins for the time you plan to hunt.

Pretty much the only thing open at that point is bears and caribou on the Haul Rd. Blacks and browns may already be denned up at that point depending on the weather. I had a very enjoyable Haul Rd. hunt on Halloween one time for caribou. It was a little cold, but I was successful.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Certified?

Quote Originally Posted by lee27 View Post
    hey ive got a few questions. i was wondering what will be in season in around the end of oct begining of nov im going to ft rich on leave from afghanastan and was wanting to do some hunting i have bow and rifle there i would like to go for moose if possable.
    Do you have your IBEP card? If not, you will need to hike a lot further on a haul road hunt. As others have said, there isn't a lot available at that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Do you have your IBEP card? If not, you will need to hike a lot further on a haul road hunt. As others have said, there isn't a lot available at that time of year.
    I have no idea what the card is so no. Im from the south and trying to get used to all these things you need to hunt. There you get a lisense and if its in season you hunt it. so im not up to speed on all the regs in alaska yet, im working on it and ive hunted a little big game down south, but i mostly duck and goose hunted i have no boat in alaska and not sure where to go. Im really interested in moose and caribou, try to soak up as much info as possable.
    thanks

I have no idea what the card is so no. Im from the south and trying to get used to all these things you need to hunt. There you get a lisense and if its in season you hunt it. so im not up to speed on all the regs in alaska yet, im working on it and ive hunted a little big game down south, but i mostly duck and goose hunted i have no boat in alaska and not sure where to go. Im really interested in moose and caribou, try to soak up as much info as possable.
    thanks
    The best thing would be to get your hands on the Alaska hunting regs, which are available online at the Department of Fish and Game website.

I asked about certification because one of the only big game hunts available during that time is along the Haul Road for caribou between Fairbanks and the North Slope. For that hunt, there are two options. If you are a certified bowhunter (meaning you have a bowhunter certification) you can hunt right off the road as long as you are within the boundaries. If you don't have the bowhunter certification, you have to go at least 5 miles off of the road. This is the legal rifle-hunting area but you can still bowhunt in this area without a certification.

Essentially, if a season is open to rifles, you can almost always choose to hunt with a bow without a certification, but if you are in a bowhunting only area or season, you have to be certified.

Again, the best thing is to read through the regs and then ask questions based on what you find there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The best thing would be to get your hands on the Alaska hunting regs, which are available online at the Department of Fish and Game website.

I asked about certification because one of the only big game hunts available during that time is along the Haul Road for caribou between Fairbanks and the North Slope. For that hunt, there are two options. If you are a certified bowhunter (meaning you have a bowhunter certification) you can hunt right off the road as long as you are within the boundaries. If you don't have the bowhunter certification, you have to go at least 5 miles off of the road. This is the legal rifle-hunting area but you can still bowhunt in this area without a certification.

Essentially, if a season is open to rifles, you can almost always choose to hunt with a bow without a certification, but if you are in a bowhunting only area or season, you have to be certified.

Again, the best thing is to read through the regs and then ask questions based on what you find there. Good luck.
    thanks alot for the info and one more question where do i go to get certified

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks alot for the info and one more question where do i go to get certified

API is a great place to start!!!!!!!!!!!

or while your online wth the F&G web site.. look up hunter ed and bowhunting classes
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Deer/Duck Hunt

Hey Lee,

A deer/duck combo would probably be your best bet that time of year. Kodiak, Prince William Sound, and Prince of Wales are all good places to try your luck. Hunts are very affordable and can fit into most schedules. Guides are available but not really necessary for deer, options would be boat based on Kodiak, fly or boat to Montague or Hinch, or via road on Prince of Wales.

GOod luck on your hunt, key is to just get out.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island