Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First sheep hunt, SCORED

Smile First sheep hunt, SCORED

Went 8 days of snow/rain/fog with a buddy and finally shot this guy @ 476 yards on the second to last day when the weather broke for us to see him. we hiked a nother hour or so up hill with driving rain as big as i have seen to get 1100 yards away and put final stuck untill he got up from his band of 3 nice rams. hE'S plus full curl both sides and broomed, this is the ram i wanted! THanks YOGIBEAR for helping pack out and for being tuff as nails hiker/packer. Best moment in my hunting career by far i was STUNED and couldnt think straight!

Last edited by Brian M; 08-20-2009 at 16:02. Reason: fixing link

Do I sense a hint of scope bite??

Congrats. Someday I'll hang a nice ram on the wall. Hafta quit smokin first!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default here lemme help with that photo

Nice sheep doogie!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well Done, Congratulation. Request more detailed story when you get time....Well Done.

Default very nice

Sounds like you put in the effort and was rewarded for it. That was one heck of a shot. I would like to hear a little more about how that came about and what load and rifle combo that you put together for it. I must say that it does look like a scope bite I heard that those alaskan mountain scopes can be very deadly. Did your buddy suck the venom out??

congratulations doogie. all of us would trade a scope kiss for a ram.

Smile

THOSE dang snakes, sucker bit me twice, not sure if you see the second snake bite because it wasnt as bad as the first. I used to think it was impossible and laughed at people who had been scoped. I know know as i lay on an edge leaning up into my scpe with no back pack or anything beneith my 7 lbs rifle that i leaned a little too much and blood was running but i figure the ram took more hits tha i did and it was so worth making that shot. If i hadnt had shot at that distance it never would have happend but the ballistics plex and practise out to 400 yards helped i believe. I spottted him from the bottom of a valley with 3 other not only legal but nice rams and we snuck back to camp right below them. We stalked to the top of the ridge and walked the ridge straight towards 3 big rams. We stalked to 1100 yards, then to 600 yards. I look below me and theres 30 + sheep and another band of 10 or so behind them @ 360 yards. The weather was driving rain and was horrible visibility but i think there was a couple good rams in that bunch as well but i wanted the nice rams i saw in the spotter. The rams i got a good look @ were bunched up by 3 @ 500 yards as we snuck closer i told my buddy we dont have any more cover and im going to shoot as soon as one moves to leave. They're looking straight at us and we ditched our packs to make the final stalk. I saw the leader of the bunch nudge to get up and i hit the montain edge and ranged @ 476 yards as he stood up. I told my buddy im tak'n the shot and i laid down the .325 wsm kimber montain with 200 grain winchester supreme accubond on his shoulder. I have the leupold vx 3 with ballistics plex and put my 450 yard make a little high on the shoulder and let loose! they all start running and i asked if i hit him and my buddy and i both thought he wasnt hit as he was running up the moutnain. He stoped and gave me broadside shot 4 more times and i let him have it at 500+ yards. My buddy says it looks like theres blood on his r leg running down. My buddy said that i mist a couple times and wasnt sure on the last couple shots as they were close. They all 3 run together and as they're cresteing a rock ledge 2 go over and one starts coming back the way he came. He comes back to 500 yards and lays down! I was thinking he's done theres no way a ram is comming back from danger downhill unless he's hurt bad. My buddy goes back to get the packs as i watch and wait as the rams head is straight up looking at me. The ram gets up 3 times as we head towards him after he was "DEAD," getting back up was amazing. In the end i put the ending shots that put him down @ 300 yards as he ran back towards camp! My buddy was yelling and apparently wanted me to let him run back towards camp but i had enough of "dead ram running and wanted to start pak'n. In the end he was hit 5 times, and they say SHEEP arnt tuff critters! Ok this guy was friken iron ram. The 5 shots hit 2 behind the shoulder, one through his r leg/left shoulder/ one though his back that blew out a vertibre/ and sadly one that hit him in the guts. My first shot i believe went through his r leg and out his left shoulder. The only thing that would have made this trip better was to have my partner and i get closer so he could get one to. I will hunt with YOGIBEAR anyday though thanks again YOGIBEAR pack out was awesome with 2 folks 3 miles back to my argo with a 115 LBS pack. Knock on wood my whole hunting career i have not mist a big game animal with a bow or a rifle and this joker had me shoot 7 times more than any animal i have shot. TUFFEST CRITTER TO THIS DAY! I SMILED ALL THE WAY DOWN, I FIGURED 10 days of wet cold miseable tired and sore and we got 8 instead. It was foggy/raining probally 80% of the time.

Default Hmmm..

That sheep doesn't look Full curl...

No worries..he looks to be over 8 yrs old...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug I'd have to agree. I count 9 rings just based off the photo.

a super congrats to you dude. WTG!

Smile

Furr and feathers had aged him @ 9 he is full curl on both sides and doubled broomed he's 33' on both sides. Their were 5 people @ fish and game who guessed and also aged him at 6,7,8,9, and 12 so they really have no clue, makes me feel great about their accuracy.

Smile

here's another pic, how come we cant insert pics like we used to?

Last edited by Brian M; 08-20-2009 at 21:28.

Default Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    Furr and feathers had aged him @ 9 he is full curl on both sides and doubled broomed he's 33' on both sides. Their were 5 people @ fish and game who guessed and also aged him at 6,7,8,9, and 12 so they really have no clue, makes me feel great about their accuracy.
    Are you serious that they aged him that differently? I would really like to know about that, so please respond or PM me.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    here's another pic, how come we cant insert pics like we used to?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...uz/mysheep.jpg

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default 9 years old

I'm going 9.5 and BARELY FULL CURL. He definitely makes it but not by much. BROOMED? We definitely need to have a better definition...how about "the first year of growth needs to be 'broomed' off for a ram to be considered 'broomed'?"

Furthermore, I really can't believe that someone 'qualified' could have aged that sheep at 6? Come on, even a novice can count at least 7-8 right?

Default : )

beautiful ram!

Smile

Well i need to load more pictures because they counted the first ring as 3 years old because he has no lamb tips and deffintly broomed back both sides. They said some of the rings arnt growth rings and dont count, Like i said i got so many differant awnsers. They said they needed to look at as many rams as possible so they can get better, man there should be an "expert or people may get a ram taken away thats actually legal. Any others have really bad experince with F&G judging rams???

actually, check this site out www.fullcurl.net That really inspires confidence doesn't it? I do think there needs to be some changes to the 8 years old regulation because counting annuli can be so subjective.

I would call that broomed, but wouldn't call it full curl. It's about 15/16...but not quite meeting the base of the horns. Just one man's opinion.

Beautiful ram, though, and certainly legal. I'd shoot it without hesitation. Good job, doogie.

Side note - to insert pics, use the address with the [img] tags on both ends. When I edited your post to fix it, you had a few [url] tags in there. That won't do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast