Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flooring material for jon boat?

Default flooring material for jon boat?

I've got a Sea Ark 1872 open boat with nothing in it but the back bench, it's tiller steering. I'm contemplating swapping to a center console set up but want to change out the old wood flooring prior to doing that (and probably even if I don't swap).

My question is what have people used for flooring material? I've looked into having Silver Streak put in treadplate, but it's really more than I want to spend (~$1200). Dealer doesn't order the Sea Ark treadplate floors aftermarket. Has anyone tried putting in some type of PVC sheeting or something else? Cheaper aluminum? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

I've found that regular old plywood (sealed with thompsons) holds up perfectly well for years. The key I think is that I take the floor out after the summer and put it in the garage to dry out thoroughly for the first couple months of winter.

Marine plywood is just too expensive. For the cost of a couple sheets of regular plywood, a few square feet of carpet, and a six pack - I can completely redo the floor in one sunny afternoon. And I bet I can do that probably more than a couple of times for the cost of a marine ply floor - many more times for the cost of anything else more expensive like diamond plate or other aluminum!

There was a thread a few months ago where someone put in diamond aluminum plate in their Wooldridge. The pictures looked nice.

Default CAC in Wasilla

Try CAC plastic in Wasilla I have there flooring in my john boat works great. They are behind the movie theater on old mat road

I was in the same boat a few years back. So I took some plywood and coated it front, back and sides with herculiner. You can't even tell it's plywood. It's had heavy loads in it and it doesn't crack. Washable, and plenty of traction on it. Completely waterproof and cost me about $100.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Great idea, but I bet it's not as comfortable in bare feet as my carpet! On the other hand if you forget to wash down some fish slime it's probably easier to get the smell out!

I was thinking I might try that the next time I build one - that or one of the epoxy based resins (like the fancy speckled garage floor coatings etc).

Did you use a roller or did you spray it?

Default Aluminum

Is light and easy to work with if you have a few basic skills, and if you do it yourself is not as expensive as $1200, call Alaska steel for a quote, I used 1/8" in my Lowe and it works great.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

did you weld it in or just cut a floor and screw or rivet it in? Quite a difference in basic skills and equipment needed for one v. the other!

Default Pan head screws

Stainless steel pan head phillips screws from Fastenal on International Airport Road, with one drill for the hole and one with a phillips bit it goes quite fast, cutting the aluminum to fit around the ribs on the side is done with a standard scroll saw and a metal cutting blade. Iv'e been running it for 3 years and have not yet had a screw loosen.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

1/2" marine plywood that I bought three weeks ago was 52$ for a 4x8 sheet. That sounds a lot better than a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" aluminum.

lowe - yeah that's what I attach my plywood floor with (and finish washers)

bronco - seems like a good price, for some reason I was remembering 80, but maybe that was when I thought i needed 5/8.

But still regular ply is half the price (if not cheaper) compared with marine - like I said I can build my floor and build another when it wears out for the price of the marine ply floor - don't get me wrong if I had the money for marine ply I'd probably do it that way, but for now I can afford an afternoon of time to redo it in 5 years easier than I can the extra money up front...no big deal and it's actually easier the second time because I use the old floor for the template to make my cuts to fit around ribs.

Marine plywood. Seal both surfaces and the edges with a quality oil based exterior primer. Let that dry thoroughly. Coat the top and sides with Herculiner.

Leave the bottom open (just primed, not Herculinered) to allow it to dry when it inevitably soaks up water.

If you can, just notch the edges of the wood to fit the side supports. Simply drop the floor in. That way you can remove the floor easily to clean the bottom under the plywood and you can stow the plywood in the off season somewhere it can stay dry.

Herculiner really rocks on Marine plywood.

Default herculiner

Thanks guys, lot's of good ideas!

Where can you pick up herculiner?

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Great idea, but I bet it's not as comfortable in bare feet as my carpet! On the other hand if you forget to wash down some fish slime it's probably easier to get the smell out!

I was thinking I might try that the next time I build one - that or one of the epoxy based resins (like the fancy speckled garage floor coatings etc).

Did you use a roller or did you spray it?
    I just rolled it (Or rather my wife did it. Put her to work.) I just laid the plywood on the floor after it was cut to fit. I perfer not to screw it down cause I like to take it out and wash the boat down throughly and get any debris that fell under out at the end of the season. Sorry for the delayed response.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

my dad has had very bad luck with a wood floor and carpet in his 85 lund. He has replaced it 3 times and this time he is using a pvc. that is just what I know

Default Lowe and Slow

When you say aluminum do you mean diamond plate? Do up have any photos? I'm redoing my 16ft lund soon so I too am looking for ideas. Thanks!

Default SockeyOrange

Yes it's diamond tread, I will try to get some pics for you or make arraingments for you to take a look at it.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I know it's nice to have a floor but did you consider the additional weight of the flooring and the hassle of having to pull the floor up every year to clean out the dirt that builds up. I leave mine bare except where I stand. I think it's just dead weight.

Default plywood option

on my 16' Jon I used 1 sheet of 1/2" for center and bow passenger section leaving exposed hull and ribs at the very front. Convenient for milk crate w/ anchor and rope along w/ two gas cans and they don't move around. I used some scrap 2x4 and 2x2 to support plywood away from ribs. Drilled a series of 1 inch holes in plywood for easy drainage and weight reduction. Added some texture to Behr exterior paint/primer and applied two coats. Haven't had a need to bolt down so lifting em out for a good wash down is not a chore. Think I've got than less than $50 bucks in materials an just a few hours of my time. Looks okay and functions fine so far. We'll see what a winter will do...

Default Green plywood

Use Bondo on the knots. Round over the edges with a sander, and paint. Works well, cheap, and never rots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast