Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethics vs "Mr. Holdaspot"

Default Ethics vs "Mr. Holdaspot"

Just curious but I wondered what others' thoughts were on folks who go out into the field, weeks in advance and put up a bare minimum amount of things to hold a spot in the woods and keep others out of "their" camp, on public land. I've met Mr. Holdaspot numerous times in the past and I was never amused.

Not talking about the huge camps, with 6 wall tents, and timber frames that have been in existence for years (i.e. the Boulder Creek area). But more subtle. A table, 1 tarp overhead.

If it was in a primo hunting area, and no one else was/is or has been in the area..what would you do? Park your ass or keep on going? Why?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default MR holda spot here...

but i pay rent for mine...

if it OBVious as you say a tarp and cheap table... leave his gear alone and camp ... hey snoose ya loose...

if he shows up three days later. theres your stuff see ya..

some guys get pissed at me. when i tell them no tresspassing in my stuff..

BUT BUT BUT>>> its state land.. your right and i have a signed lease on it. wall &(tarp)tents, out houses, tarps.. and equipment. can see it 5miles away.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If the camp is occupied, with people, then it's time to move on and find another spot. However, if someone came by earlier and placed a "reservation camp" to hold "their" spot as you described and itís on public land, then thatís too bad if they show up later.
    Could be looked at as litter in the woods, leaving a tarp and table set up in the middle of no where.
    Tough call, but I think the camp needs to be physically occupied to reserve your spot on public land.
    BK

Paying the state to lease is one thing, but simply squatting to keep everyone else away is another. I do agree, you have every right to tell people to piss off if your sendin a payment.

I should post some pics of a few bear camps I found a few weeks ago, WOW. Talk about NOT vacating and removing all remnants of tree stands..these were forts!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Squating

Sounds like the same thing that went on at Montana Creek during King season.

How is it different than a bait station or in some cases several.

Default yes you should

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Paying the state to lease is one thing, but simply squatting to keep everyone else away is another. I do agree, you have every right to tell people to piss off if your sendin a payment.

I should post some pics of a few bear camps I found a few weeks ago, WOW. Talk about NOT vacating and removing all remnants of tree stands..these were forts!
    I'm sure that there are plenty of us that would like to see some of them. It's not often that we can see things like that.

I think that it's a tough call on reserving a spot. If you go through the trouble of doing the extra effort and putting things out in advance . Like some have said, it's public land so you are just as welcome to set up next to them, but I would advacate moving or touching any of their gear. I don't know that I would do the same thing for fear of gear being stolen. At the same time, it would piss me off to no end to have someone set up a camp within a half mile of me with a state as big as alaska. I think that more than anything shows poor judgement, lack of common dencency, and lousy sportsmanship

Talking

Bait station is registered with the state, and hopefully active.

Litter left as a decoy is not.

Taylor

I'm somewhat reserved when it comes to posting pics of others, I'm not one to pass judgment or get into an ethics pissing match, not my intent - I was simply curious as to how some of you would handle this type of situation. I'm sure if I posted the pics, someone would recognize the area.

Sure there's plenty of what if's but in certain areas access is limited and folks simply shouldnt be privy to squat in a spot 3 weeks prior to the opener.

Unless I see gear or a warm fire pit, I'd say it's open game.

But more subtle. A table, 1 tarp overhead.
    If it was out there for a week or two...I would consider that littering. Simply put, I would pick up their crap and throw it away and go back to the spot.

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

It happens all the time on the interior rivers. They stick up a tent, and then maybe use it 2 days out of the season, or sometimes not at all.

Some people think like that, but it don't bother me. One of the reasons is somebody that has'nt been out there thinks its a good spot and will go up just around the coner from it and set up thier camp.

The crazy part about this is that are a hundred boats going up and down the river everyday and night right past these spots.

Its kinda like these people think they will not have a parking spot at the camp ground.

I myself just keep going til there are no more tents. And then go a little futher. You'd be amazed at how little some people want to work for thier food.

On state land you can only keep a camp for 10 days then it has to be moved I can't remember-I'm sure someone will chime in-but I think 1/2 mile or something like that. So if someone has a camp set up for 3 weeks before the season it's probably illegal anyway?

KK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    On state land you can only keep a camp for 10 days then it has to be moved I can't remember-I'm sure someone will chime in-but I think 1/2 mile or something like that. So if someone has a camp set up for 3 weeks before the season it's probably illegal anyway?

KK
    whos going to enforce it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If no one was there hunting and it did not look like it had been used in the last few days i would hunt. if they showed up and were going to hunt then i would move on.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    if they showed up and were going to hunt then i would move on.

I differ with this. If you set up camp, they'll need to find a new spot!!

Just curious but I wondered what others' thoughts were on folks who go out into the field, weeks in advance and put up a bare minimum amount of things to hold a spot in the woods and keep others out of "their" camp, on public land. I've met Mr. Holdaspot numerous times in the past and I was never amused.

Not talking about the huge camps, with 6 wall tents, and timber frames that have been in existence for years (i.e. the Boulder Creek area). But more subtle. A table, 1 tarp overhead.

If it was in a primo hunting area, and no one else was/is or has been in the area..what would you do? Park your ass or keep on going? Why?
    If the area is so crowded that a couple of extra hours of effort won't secure an unoccupied campsite might be time to look for another hunting area. Michael Strahan's "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" has an excellent section on etiquette while hunting. Remember - even if others aren't considerate we can be.
    Joe (Ak)

I'll try and avoid places where people have set something up. I know if I went in ahead of time, and I have before, and set stuff up. It would bug me if someone moved in on it.

A good friend of mine had quite the issue last year. After returning from deployment, had over a month of leave starting Aug 15, dove in on the 20th, to set up camp. Set up a wall tent, some tables, tarps, meat poles, the works. Gets a call on the sat phone, that his buddy broke his quad on the way in. So he heads out, helps buddy back to trailer, spends a night at the trailer. They're gone for a day fixing it, then head up, sleep at the trailer, and head in. They get in, and find people camping in the site he's spent 10 days preparing, using the meat poles, and when he informs them he set all this up, he's generally told oh well, you weren't here.

They ended up packing up and moving, as it was, shooting a 59' bull within site of the first camp. But still kinda put a black mark on the whole season. After that story, I pretty much decided I'd move on if I ever came to the same.

I have stayed the night at/near established camps on my way in or out before, even had people arrive after we stopped at what we thought was a "place holder" camp. But its always been pleasant enough, I'm upfront with the fact we're just passing through and we've never had issue.

AK stick.

I agree, I don't have a top on my boat so if I come on one of these tents with no gear around it and nobody near, I'm getting out of the rain. If the owner comes by, we'll sit down and ahave a shot of brandy til the rain pass's, then I will say thank you and move on. ( I could crawl under my bow, its about 6' covered)

No need to get hostile about anything, might just make some friends.

However if it was sunshine outside I'd just keep going.

Sometimes tho I think the about the guy that is at his little spot, and new to the area, he probably feels a little self reserved wondering if hes screwing up.

I should pull over more, but there are 2 reason's I don't.

1. Is the guy going to take offence?

2. Is, Man I 've got a long way to go and if I stopped at all these camps, might take me a couple of days to get there.

It might make it a little friendlier if some of these guys put up a sign that says "Welcome make yourself at home, be back soon" or "Hey coffee's on"

Not like thats going to happen. Just a thought.

I've never actually camped in one of thier tents, as I always have my own. However, as they're usualy set up in the nicest area's on the way in and out of where I hunt, I've camped next to a few.

However, in your circumstances, I honestly wouldn't mind as long as the person or person(s) were friendly. Attitude goes a long way.

But in the area I hunt, there are only a few dedicated camps, and very few new people come back that far, so if I see a new face, I pull over, introduce myself, and then point out where the established camps are. That away, the new guy will hopefully avoid using my/others camps, if he needs help he knows where people can be found. And because happy neighbors are good neighbors.

OK Marc how is it different than a trap line.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast