Thread: Bighorse runs the Brooks

Default Bighorse runs the Brooks

A dream hunt just came together on this one. Alot of great folks helped get me directed and focused to harvest a wonderful trophy, a mature Dall Ram.

I want to extend appreciation first to my wife for holding down the fort while I wandered the hills. Second to my great hunting partner who follows through with everything and is dependable as the setting sun. Third Andy, the Coldfoot F&G trooper, who as a friend gifted me with solid dependable information about logistics, weather, and geography. I couldn't have just slung a pack on and done this on my own. Lastly......The Ram who weathered a more than a few winter storms to grace my wall and table.

So....how did it go down?

We'll I traveled from Sitka to Fairbanks where I met with my depedable hunting partner Chris. He's been hunting with me for a long time and every year or so we come up with wild adventures. This year....Brooks Sheep.

We packed up and headed up the Dalton for a planned 7 day hump in the rocks. We rifle hunted and so it took us two days to get back into and past the five mile line. I was planning on having company. Sure enough.....as soon as we reached the bowl where I expected to find rams......there was a tent right where the rams were seen a few weeks earlier. So if you have red Hilleberg and hunted up near a 6,500 peak in the Brooks PM me please. I know they saw lots of lambs and ewes and so did we.....over a hundred. So we sat out in the sun running ridges looking closely over everything with the Swaro. Three days passed with plenty of beautiful sights but not a legal ram. The weather moved in fast and my partner made an emergency call to lower camp just off the ridge and get below the clouds. The next morning after rain and snow I was sitting out making breakfast by a small water source and looked up into the rocks of that said peak and there were two rams scurrying somewhere safe just below the clouds almost in em. I was dressed and ready to roll and just a bite away from finishing chow. My partner was still in the sack. I woke em to let him know I spotted a likely shooter and I was traveling light and fast to intercept. With just a fanny, binos, and rifle I was on the move. Rocks, cliff, scree and a couple thousand feet later I was crawling flat across a high scree slope closing the gap. Unfortunatly......he took a tumble and ended up bloodied up and in a hole. I went back to find my partner and we recovered this great animal.

All I gotta say is I now appreciate a little more the perserverance and skills of accomplished sheep hunters. This is my first.........we'll see what the future holds.

We packed out to the Dalton and hitchhiked back to the truck. Those truckers treated us great.

So did the buffet at the Coldfoot Station.

Enjoy.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more photos

One more cliff to look over and scenery.

Default Last photos

One last side view.
    Last edited by Snyd; 08-20-2009 at 20:18.

Way to go man. That an awesome animal. You guys worked and planned well. Great to be afield with a great friend and the gorgeous trophy was just icing on the cake I'm sure.

As for the red hilleberg and judging from your account of spotting many sheep it could belong a certain moderator here that apparently has a b-day coming up.

CONGTRATS!!! Thanks for the great report too! I wonder if you and Snyd hit the same area, I have a funny feeling that was his red hilleberg tarra http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...566#post556566

Default Funny

Thats funny.....He didn't see anyone......but I saw him.

I guess my Sitka gear works. I have a light green tent that doesn't stand out. I don't know what pushed the ram I got.....but he was heading out of Dodge for some reason. Could have been weather too.

I was literally just a 1/4 mile from his tent and he didn't even realize it. I planned for someone being in that bowl though and sat on the back side of that hill waiting for sheep movement towards us.

I know with 100% certainty it was him I saw.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

way to go big horse...!!!

thats 2 for 2 this season.. make that 3 for 3 on your next goat and your Taxi.. will likely birth children for you!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Wow

Very nice story and pictures to boot. I think that your story makes it look easier than it really is. Congradulations on a beautiful trophy!!!

Hey guys! Yup, it's my b-day. 49 today!
    Wow, nice job on getting that ram! What day was it? We came out on Friday the 14th. There was one day, Thursday maybe, I thought I heard a shot echoing up one drainage. It would be interesting to know what direction from us your tent was pitched to where we didn't see it. When we got up to the spot we had pitched the tent there wasn't a ram or sheep in there. We spotted a few rams in the valley beyond that were sublegals but also there were also two mystery rams that I never did get a look at. Heck maybe we shagged that sucker right to you!

There was only one peak near us that got into the weather. That must have been the one where you got your ram. I kept looking up there expecting to see something but never did.

There was one evening we were watching a valley and down below a huge flock came bolting out and ran up onto the side of the mountain. I lost count at 65. There was one sub-legal hanging off kind of by himself in there that I saw and some banana rams.

So, how close to you was I? Did I walk right by you?
    Last edited by Snyd; 08-20-2009 at 14:49.

Two hard hunts in a month with two mounts,you da man

That's a Great Looking sheep, What did it tape out. Congrats!!

Congratulations on your sheep - any legal sheep is a trophy. There is an old saying that goes something like: "The time to stalk your game is when you spot it" - you done good.

Congrats on the Sheep And Hunt!

Congrats on the ram!...I like the packs along the HWY...

Congrats on a beautiful ram,

Snyd: Happy birthday man!

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    ...There is an old saying that goes something like: "The time to stalk your game is when you spot it" - you done good.
    and you know what else they say about them sheep. "they're where you find 'em!"

Thumbs up

Great job on the hunt and a wonderful looking ram Bighorse!

Cool!

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default great

You are on a ROLL .... Bighorse