Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starving Bear Attack

Default Starving Bear Attack

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...ska?cid=082009

This is why it is wise to carry a firearm of large caliber! Not sure pepper spray would have deterred this one....

I think that there is more to this story than was told......Maybe not much more, but a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I think that there is more to this story than was told......Maybe not much more, but a bit more.
    +1. There's already a few stories milling about, lol.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

IMO this is the first of many to come this year.
    With hardly any fish in the rivers these bears are going to be hungry.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

This a classic example of people who cash in on fame.

In his first statement he could'nt remember if he shot 2 or 3 times, now it's up to 5.

This really pisses me off when a so called one of our own trys to cash in on something like this to make a few extra bucks.

He says that a Grizzley wont turn away from a human, and that is a crock.

Hollywood at its best folks, and people in the lower 48 are buying it.

Shame on the mag. that printed the story before finding out the real story, and shame on the man himself.

( and oh where did the first photo come from from of the live bear?)

Gun jammed? It's an eff'n revolver!!!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default I know Greg Brush

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    This a classic example of people who cash in on fame.

In his first statement he could'nt remember if he shot 2 or 3 times, now it's up to 5.

This really pisses me off when a so called one of our own trys to cash in on something like this to make a few extra bucks.

He says that a Grizzley wont turn away from a human, and that is a crock.

Hollywood at its best folks, and people in the lower 48 are buying it.

Shame on the mag. that printed the story before finding out the real story, and shame on the man himself.

( and oh where did the first photo come from from of the live bear?)
    I trust him explicitly.

One of the comments to the story gives a hypothetical for why the gun could have jammed.

As for cashing in, why not? It's a great story. He's a guide, and all guides make their livlihood from selling experience with/about the natural world. Big deal.

As for the number of shots fired: having been in an accident a time or two, I have noticed that it is hard to remember exactly how things played out in the heat of the moment, even after you stop and reflect.

Bottom line: bear would have died anyway, but probably not before it had killed a kid. I'm glad Greg killed this bear.

Armchair ethicists, flame on.

sayak:

He only has to open the gate to see how many rounds were fired. It iratates me it started out as 2-3, then maybe up to 5. If the mag wants to imbelis it to sell more copys on a lie, I have a problem with that. And as a guide for him to go along with it rubs me the wrong way.

On another note Greg might be a nice guy, I do not know him, but if he has helped this story along with some false truths, then he is not a person that I would want to be in company with.

My 2 cents.

Pretty soon you're going to have guys from down south carrying guns and hear someone break a twig and start blazing away and saying I heard about this guy and a bear encounter and thats all that went threw my head.

sayak:

Pretty soon you're going to have guys from down south carrying guns and hear someone break a twig and start blazing away and saying I heard about this guy and a bear encounter and thats all that went threw my head.

Plenty of folks from up north with that problem . Weekend warriors with itchy trigger fingers scare me more than any animal.

Default Here's the story in its entirety

sayak:

He only has to open the gate to see how many rounds were fired. It iratates me it started out as 2-3, then maybe up to 5. If the mag wants to imbelis it to sell more copys on a lie, I have a problem with that. And as a guide for him to go along with it rubs me the wrong way.

On another note Greg might be a nice guy, I do not know him, but if he has helped this story along with some false truths, then he is not a person that I would want to be in company with.

My 2 cents.

"Greg Brush, a veteran salmon fishing guide from the town of Soldotna, was walking his dogs on a rare day off from work. On his hip was a large handgun, a Ruger chambered for the powerful .454 Casull cartridge. Brown bears are a constant presence in Brush’s neighborhood, and many residents feel the largely-unhunted animals have little fear of man.

Because of many bear-related incidents in this area, Brush always has brown bears on his mind…even when walking a well-maintained road. On just such a road, less than 500 yards from his house, Brush stopped when he heard a twig snap behind him. Turning his head toward the sound, Brush saw a monstrous brown bear charging toward him. “There was no warning,” he stresses. “None of the classic teeth-popping or woofing, raising up on hind legs, or bluff-charging that you read about. When I spotted him he was within 15 yards, his head down and his ears pinned back. He was coming like a freight train…in total chase-mode.”

Brush instinctively back-pedaled to avoid the charge, drawing the Ruger from its holster. “I fired from the hip as he closed the distance,” Brush recalls. “I know I missed the first shot, but I clearly hit him after that. I believe I fired four or five shots. ”

Brush finally fell on his back on the edge of the road. Miraculously, the bear collapsed a mere five feet from his boot soles, leaving claw marks in the road where Brush had—only seconds before—been standing. The bear was moaning, his huge head still moving, as Brush aimed the Ruger to fire a finishing shot. “By then my gun had jammed,” Greg says. “I frantically called my wife on my cell phone and told her to bring a rifle. When she arrived I finished the bear.

Greg had to file a Defense of Life or Property (DLP) report after the incident. Biologists determined that the bear, a boar that measured 9’ 6” from nose to tail (10’ 6” from paw to paw), was between 15 and 20 years old and weighed between 900 and 1,000 pounds--and was underweight by an estimated 400 pounds. “His teeth were just worn out, and you could see his ribs through his hide,” Brush says. “Normally they are eating mainly salmon, moose calves, or carrion right now as they put on fat for the winter. This bear had grass in his molars, a sure sign he was starving to death. He would not have survived the winter.”

Brush says the boar’s head was huge and heavy. “He had many scars and wounds, indicating he may have been run off by other bears. Two biologists and two veteran bear guides have told me that this was a predatory charge. There was no carcass nearby that he was defending and, obviously, no cubs to protect. Had I not been able to kill him, he’d have killed and likely eaten me.”

In the days following the attack, Brush has spent a lot of time “pondering many what-ifs,” he says. “I’m just so thankful that it wasn’t my wife and/or girls walking down that road [Greg and Sherri have two daughters, Kelsey and Kendra]. And there are so many little things. What if I hadn’t heard that twig? What if I’d missed those shots? I’m not an exceedingly religious man, but someone was watching over me that day. Just getting that heavy Ruger out of the holster and fired in that time frame is nearly impossible. After the incident, I tried to duplicate that shooting, and the most I could pull off was two shots in the seconds it took for the attack to happen.”

Incidents like these prove the difficulty of managing brown bear populations in areas like the Kenai Peninsula. The Alaska Department of Fish & Game says that some critical brown bear habitat is threatened by human encroachment from commercial, recreational and residential developments. Therefore, they severely restrict hunting for browns to help keep populations viable.

But such protection is coming at a cost to the human residents of the Kenai. While incidents as dramatic as Greg Brush’s are rare, human/bear encounters are not. Indeed, 31 DLP shootings were reported in 2008 alone. “There are people who do not take proper care of their garbage and do not respect bears, which I view as a wild and essential symbol of Alaska,” Brush says. “They are part of the reason I moved here many years ago. But there we do take precautions, and do everything we can to give them their space. Unfortunately, bears here have little fear of people. When they smell or see a human, their reaction is rarely one of fear, like you see with bears in more remote areas. Here, many bears encounter people, and instead of fleeing, they associate them with food.”

Ok, so he fired four or five shots, tries to fire another and said the weapon jammed. Don't own a Casull; don't know if they can or do.

After firing at a bear, bringing it down, and preparing to finish it off, I, personally, would be very shaky individual. Hell, I've become shaky even after killing a moose or caribou. I could do something to make a weapon jam, or think it is jammed when it is not. I probably would not be cool as a cucumber. Maybe you would be.

Then he tried to go back and duplicate the scenario, and was only able to fire two shots in the same amount of time. I believe it. Stories are legion of people doing amazing things under the influence of adrenaline which they couldn't do ordinarily.

As for the photo of the live bear, rockskipper, it is called a "stock photo" which publications keep to flesh out stories.

I have submitted articles to Alaska Magazine, and lo and behold, when they were printed, they had been edited! One generally makes an agreement to allow for this when one sells a story, and when sold, the finished product has left the writer's control. Don't know if that is the case here.

Greg is no weekend warrior. He is a seasoned, experienced outdoorsman who hunts all over Alaska and the lower 48.

As I said before; this bear would have killed someone else who was there on the road and available to eat had not Greg killed it. It probably would have been a child.

It is always a shame to have to kill an animal which one doesn't want to kill, and Greg did not want to kill this one. However, for the reading public in the lower 48 who are now wondering about Alaska's predator control program, this can serve as an eye opener to show that brown bear/grizzleys are indeed dangerous to humans, not cuddly benign critters, and that they may need to be thinned as folks fill up the country. There have been several attacks right there in that area of Soldotna and Ridgeway. Greg was completely justified- as anyone would have been- in ending the bear's life.

O.K., I must have missed it. HOW MANY SHOTS DID HE FIRE FOR A FACT ? I've never heard.

I'm just saying I don't like storys that are made up of half truths.

No offence against Greg. I'm sure if it was me in the that spot I'd be doing some laundry to.

Default I don't know

I'm done here.

I don't know Greg and I don't know about the details of the shooting but I do know that a dog that would let him walk up on a bear is about a worthless POC. I only hope mine proves better in that dept.

If it was me, the missing rounds would have been in the dog...

Glad the dude is OK and I'm glad the bear is out of it's misery- I think he'd have had a real hard fall judging from the photos. That guy was just a big bag of bones.

Not sure of the source of the story Sayak posted or of any of this Field & Stream stuff. This thread is the first I've heard of this story being published nationally. I did hear the story second hand a week ago from a friend and neighbor of the shooter. What Sayak posted is pretty much what I heard from this guy's friend.

We have a LOT of brown bears around Soldotna and we've never had them here in such numbers before. The reason for all these DLP shootings is simply an over population of browns within OUR territory. In my 31 years living here, I've never seen a brown bear anywhere close to Soldotna until 2 years ago. Then we suddenly had several of them wandering all around town. Last year there were 3 by the airport, 1 by the college, 3 more back between Gaswell & Poppy lane, and a couple around Mackey Lake (where the shooting in question occurred) that I know of. That's way too many brown bears within a very small urban/suburban area.

Glad he killed this bear. It wouldn't have survived much longer, so this was the most humane thing anyone could have done for it.

As for dogs, your typical "pet" dog isn't going to do anything for you around bears. If the dog hasn't been trained to detect and then do something about a bear, its not naturally going to do anything you want it to. In fact, most dogs when suddenly faced with a bear for the first time are going to tuck tail and run. Not sure why anyone would expect them to do otherwise.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Here is the story from the Clarion.

to have a great laugh you have to read the comments.

Discuss/notice the differences between the two accounts.

The 24 hour campfire forum has a 3 page thread about it.

Default I miss the old Alaska

... where a bear dangerous to a population center was a dead bear. It's still alive and well in the bush. No romantic notions, or every neighbor and his friend second guessing the shooter.

Have we become that much a colony of California?

Sayak...I think most people would agree that this bear being dead is better off for everyone. I certainly do. The problem is the story changed from 1 dog to 3 dogs, 4 or 5 shots fired according to Field and Stream, he doesn't remember how many shots he fired even though a revolver doesn't lie. You also have the fact that Field and Stream has him jamming his pistol and finishing off the moaning bear with a rifle.

The bottom line is people wish Greg had given us the real story which we will never have. My guess, dogs were playing in the woods and brought the bear back while barking which gave Greg time to respond. Fair DLP in my opinion. The drama that has developed is disgusting.

Sad in fact.

Just an aside from someone new to Alaska. i don't know the party involved and haven't seen this story reported on except for here and (IIRC) the ADN. That said, when I saw the differences in the story, I automatically chalked it up to poor reporting. I come from California - we're used to that down there...

I am glad the gentleman wasn't hurt. I'm even more glad it wasn't me - though I shot quite a bit up to last year, I KNOW I ain't that good a shot.

RE: the jam - I have seen large bore revolvers jam, usually the bullet unseats a bit and moves forward until it locks up against the frame. Though I have also seen primers back out...

Default I dont live in Alaska

Granted, i dont live in Alaska BUT, I dont think his gun jammed. In this story his gun was a .454 casull. Now I might be wrong but doesnt ruger make the .454's with 5 shot cylinders as opposed to 6 shot cylinders? If so it wasnt his gun that jammed but just the fact that he didnt have another bullet in his rifle IF the four or five shots were in fact what he did shoot as opposed to three.

But hey, what do I know Im just a kid right?

The Ruger 454 is a six shooter. The Taurus 454 is a five shooter. I believe the guy had the Ruger, hence he had six available holes in the cylinder. It is not out of the possibility that a revolver malfunctioned. Perhaps he only had 5 rounds in it. Perhaps he had a bad round. Perhaps the gun did in fact "jam". The 454 is a real powerhouse and it is possible that things broke or that the cylinder was disengaged or he wrapped his shirt/jacket into the cylinder while shooting from the hip. There are plenty of ways to "jam" up a wheel gun. If the guy ain't talking about what he discovered with the gun after things settled down, then we may never know. We also don't know if he said the gun "jammed" or if the reporter embellished that term.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast