Thread: Do Not Use 17HMR in a semi auto rifle!

Default Do Not Use 17HMR in a semi auto rifle!

PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE AND WARNING

17 HMR AMMUNITION

August 20, 2009

Dear Customer:

Do not use 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. Use of 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms may result in serious personal injury or property damage.

17 HMR ammunition is manufactured in accordance with standards issued by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufactures’ Institute (SAAMI). Subsequent to the design and introduction of 17 HMR ammunition to the market, 17 HMR semi-automatic firearms were introduced by various firearm manufacturers. Those firearms have proven to be incompatible with 17 HMR ammunition. 17 HMR ammunition is suitable for use in quality firearms in good condition that are not semi-automatic.

Accordingly, do not use 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. Only use 17 HMR in modern firearms in good condition marked for 17 HMR cartridges. Always use eye and ear protection. Always read all product labeling carefully for instructions on safe use.

Please contact your gun manufacturer. For ammunition questions contact CCI Technical Service at 1-866-286-7436 or Federal Premium Product Services at 1-800-831-0850.

I recently bought a 597 in 17hmr. Remington site says they will send me a $200 coupon towards another remington product if I sent it back. Are they nuts, these retailed over $400

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    I recently bought a 597 in 17hmr. Remington site says they will send me a $200 coupon towards another remington product if I sent it back. Are they nuts, these retailed over $400
    $400 refund + $200 coupon?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    $400 refund + $200 coupon?
    Nope, just a $200 coupon. As mine is still under warranty, they should send me one in 22 mag. I buy atleast 2 guns a year, most are remingtons. if they try to rip me off they will never see another cent from me.

Default was thinking the same thing

I paid $300 for mine. What a joke.

remington has failed me over the yrs too. I'm all done with em. I've seen shotguns that were more accurate than my 308 rifle. my 30-30 with a peep is more accurate @ 100 yds. than my 308. can't even bring myself to sell that rifle to someone. everybody "loves" remington though.....so I better be careful with what I say. I'll stick with browning, cz, and ruger with all my rifle purchases from now on.

Remington is a lot more show than go these days imo as well. I grew up on them but these days my dollars have went to Weatherby and Ruger and will probably continue to do so.

Default Remington sucks

I finally got through to remington, they will not honor their warranty on my 8 month old 597. They say it's not a gun issue it's a ammo issue. The name Remington used to stand for a quality company, I guess those days are gone.

I swear by Remington shotguns, though to be fair my newest one was made in the early 90's. Only Remington rifle I have is an old 788 in .223. Super accurate--1.25" groups at 200 yards with UMC ammo. Have never seen a need to buy a 700. I prefer Weatherby myself.

Funny so many of you are saying you buy Rugers. They are the only brand (so far) that I WON'T buy.

Default what was happening?

Just curious as to what was happening with these guns. Haven't got one but a buddy was looking at buying one. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I swear by Remington shotguns, though to be fair my newest one was made in the early 90's. Only Remington rifle I have is an old 788 in .223. Super accurate--1.25" groups at 200 yards with UMC ammo. Have never seen a need to buy a 700. I prefer Weatherby myself.

Funny so many of you are saying you buy Rugers. They are the only brand (so far) that I WON'T buy.

Ruger cater so much to Alaskans with the models that they make........I've had a couple Ruger problems here and there but they fixed em on the spot! Next ruger is gonna be the 338 rcm with open sights.

I had a Ruger problem, and they certainly did NOT fix it on the spot. In fact, over a 6 month period, and having sent it back 3 times, they NEVER fixed it. So I just told them to send me my money back. I am done with Ruger. I currently own a Redhawk, and it will be my one and only Ruger from here on out. I'm sure it was just bad luck, and I could probably buy 100 more Rugers and not have a problem. But the poor attitude and lack of caring they displayed were unacceptable.

Default yeah , I'm for Rem shotguns too

Hoosier,
    Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post

I really like my 870 Express but a couple of years ago I saw something in a comparison of Mossberg and Remington
    " Both models use varying degrees of plastic parts across their different models. The 870 police and older wingmaster guns use cast materials for their trigger guards, where on the express and some newer wingmaster models the trigger guard assembly is some sort of a high impact plastic. A parallel situation exists in the mossberg world, where the trigger guard of the 590A1 is made from metal as compared to high impact plastic across the rest of their line."

I am not sure when that change came about as my express has a steel trigger guard assembly ( bought it in '98 from Minniks in Eagle River). Maybe that was a sign of the times.
    Last edited by akdaddoo; 08-31-2009 at 10:00. Reason: spelling/grammer

I am glad I got the Marlin bolt action

Wild,

Cost (-ish, of course) to rebarrel a 597 to .22 Mag?

You would think that Rem would offer replacement 22 mag barrels as a solution. That would show real customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Carberry View Post
    Wild,

Cost (-ish, of course) to rebarrel a 597 to .22 Mag?
    Good question. I dont thbink those 597s are particularly rebarrelable (if thats a word)