Thread: Shrimp Pots Floating - Valdez

Default Shrimp Pots Floating - Valdez

I will not assume my string of pots was stolen - I will operate on the assumption that I screwed up and floated them. I came up short a 900 foot line with 2 pots on it. A simple 3 hour set while we went ashore to pick berries that was not there when we came back to pull them. We set them in 475 feet of water with 800 feet of line above the top pot, both pots were weighted and I have an anchor on the line as well to assure it would hold bottom. We went back 15 minutes after setting to assure all was well with the set and reconfirm the GPS setting and all was good. I have used this configuration for a couple years and until this point haven't had any problems.

They were set of of Elf Point (Near Point Freemantle) - If anyone sees 2 orange buoys 1 large and 1 small together floating anywhere around Glacier Island, point Freemantle or anywhere the tide would take them feel free to check the name on them - If the large buoy has the name "Barnes" I sure would like to know and you have my permission to pull them. 2 buoys, 600 feet of leaded line, 300 feet of floating line, 2 black pots, 1 folding anchor. I assume they would eventually float to a spot where the anchor would hold.

While on shore picking berries in a nearby bay we did observe 3 boats traveling towards the point which leaves me to wonder but I assume I somehow missed the bottom. Ice can also be an issue in this area but none was present in the immediate area of the pots when we set or when we returned to pull them. Our second set of pots on the other side of the point was present and accounted for when we returned.

Wow with that much line out you should not have had any issues Mark. Hope your setup turns up out there.

Default Lost Pot's

I have to ask, were the other three that were still there the ones you picked up from me last weekend? If so, were you happy with how they fished?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I have to ask, were the other three that were still there the ones you picked up from me last weekend? If so, were you happy with how they fished?
    Mike
    Mike - I lost them a couple days before I picked the ones up from you. The two I lost belonged to a buddy but were on one of my lines. I stopped by to see Steve while I was in the valley to replace them as well. Bad year for me lost 2 to a broken line at 600 feet - it broke with little or no pressure and then lost 2 more to a mystery. Worst part both times the loss was on the 2nd pull of a several day trip so I fished with fewer pots decreasing my harvest - Best part both times it was the 2 pot string and not the 3 pot string.

Lessons learned are sometimes tough and expensive. Still hoping someone finds them bobbing around that has read this thread. Won't get to try out the new ones till April - Time to go moose hunting.