Thread: DNR Boating Safety Course

Default DNR Boating Safety Course

"The Alaska Office of Boating Safety will be offering Alaska Water Wise, a boating course designed for Alaskans on August 16 and 29, 2009 from 8-5 in the Atwood Building on 550 West 7th Avenue in Anchorage.

This eight-hour course is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard. The course satisfies most states boating safety education requirements and may even qualify boaters for boat insurance discounts.

Segments include pre-departure preparation, boating operations, boating emergencies, cold-water survival, navigation/rules of the road, and legal requirements. Students who attend all sessions, and pass the written exam and skills will be issued a course completion certificate. This course has also been approved for eight hours of Continuing Medical Education (CME) training by the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Social Services.

The courses are free but pre-registration is encouraged. For more information contact:

Megan Piersma megan.piersma@alaska.gov or call 269-6042 or
    Joe McCullough joseph.mccullough@alaska.gov or call 269-8704.
    Due to popular demand the Office of Boating Safety will be offering another Alaska Water Wise course on Saturday, September 19th from 8-5. For more information contact Joe McCullough"

This is a great course. I took it and when I got insurance on my new boat through State Farm they gave me a 10% discount. You can also contact Megan about the free Cold Water Boating DVD or you can get them by stopping by the DNR office in Anchorage 269-8400.

Default Boatwise

All

This is a very good course and the price is right **FREE**

Even if your experienced it is a good course just to refresh your memory. I just completed the course and was Ask if there is enough people to justify anothe course in the Valley. I let them know I would post here so people can contact DNR to get another one set up out here in the Mat-Su

***********FREE***********FREE***********FREE***** ****

Thanks for the heads up.

I dont own a boat, so would it be bad if I registered? Would I be taking someone else's place that could have more use for it?

I always wanted to attend one of these courses.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

It's a good course for anyone that goes out on boats. Whether or not you own a boat, plan to own a boat, or ar considering owning a boat, I'd say go ahead and take the course.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I wish they offered one of them classes in Soldotna or Kenai.

Welllllllll contact Joe
    joseph.mccullough@alaska.gov

Ask him what the chance for a Kenai class would be. He may have an instructor down in the area, (they do have a few state wide.)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I was just re-visiting this thread to get the dates and realized the original post is from 2009.

How would I find out about this year's courses if there are any?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"