Thread: re: 10 commandments

Default re: 10 commandments

Part 1 of "The Ten Commandments of Retriever Training" - http://www.findretrievers.com/news/w...-training-1-5/

Default I am good

Karen, that is what I taught you 15 or 20 year ago. I like it when I am right. And I know you've practiced all of them too. Nice to see the basics well spelled out.
    Normally I feel that if a trainer is in a building program, they are being fair. Goes with the territory. If a trainer is always pushing, or, gets into testing too quickly, then they do not get the results they are expecting or hoping for.
    Build slowly, work on positives, keep goals conservative. A trainer gets a lot further that way than always having to back up and start again because of mistakes or failures along the way.
    Good job sharing these articles with us. Thanks a lot friend.

This is from a weekly e-newsletter that has a mix of retriever "stuff" in it. And yes, ARR, you taught us these concepts (& others) about 20 years ago. Only thing is that I never got a Lab & doubt if I ever will ! And you think Chesapeakes are stubborn??? In training classes today it seems like the most difficult things for folks to learn are (a) don't give a command you can't reinforce (& don't yammer at the dog), and (b) keep your hand out of the dog's face. How can we change that & help them to understand?

Have a great weekend!
    Karen

Default cattle prods

Yes my dear, cattle prods. ON THE HANDLERS. Seems they need a reason to change their habits. So, give them some impetus.
    OR, make a dollar challenge. Tell everybody coming to the training groups to bring 10 each $1 bills. When they get there, tell them what you'll be looking for, and if the do not perform correctly, they give a $1 to the club kitty. The most they can lose in a session is $10.
    Guaran-darn-tee they won't lose very many dollars before they get it right. Oh, how I would love to see the looks on their faces when you told them to cough up a buck. But in reality, losing a few dollars to a fun game is a cheap investment in learning to do things correctly.
    And just for you I will forgive the stubborn streak cause I love you just the way you are.